Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok time for me to learn a little more. 496 build say 70% street and 30% strip.
Is a 1/16, 1/16, 3/16 plama moly ring pack sufficient vs. say the low tension metric ring packs available? Pump gas hydraulic roller forged bottom end deal no nitrous. 600-650 hp. I feel it may be fine but if the file fit low tension deal is the best way then school me up here. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
1/16", 1/16", 3/16" ring package will work fine for your application. Go with ductile iron or steel, plasma moly top ring; grey iron Napier style second ring and standard tension oil ring assembly. No need for low tension rings for an engine that will see 70% of its life on the street.
Make sure that the cylinders are honed with torque plate installed, correct cross hatch pattern and final finish with plateau hone. Make sure that the cylinder walls are absolutely clean and put a coating of engine oil on the cylinder walls, piston skirts and ring grooves. Do not submerge the piston/ring assembly in oil . . . . . .

·
Registered
9,019 Posts
This is 2020, no need to use 25+ year old technology.
I'd use and .043/.043/3mm STD oil ring.
Use a quality steel top and steel Napier second ring.

Check out Mahle power pack piston kits, baddass setup for the money.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
1/16", 1/16", 3/16" ring package will work fine for your application. Go with ductile iron or steel, plasma moly top ring; grey iron Napier style second ring and standard tension oil ring assembly. No need for low tension rings for an engine that will see 70% of its life on the street.
Make sure that the cylinders are honed with torque plate installed, correct cross hatch pattern and final finish with plateau hone. Make sure that the cylinder walls are absolutely clean and put a coating of engine oil on the cylinder walls, piston skirts and ring grooves. Do not submerge the piston/ring assembly in oil . . . . . .
With that much street use this is good advice. I've got this same package in my 71 GMC 383 daily driver.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
This is 2020, no need to use 25+ year old technology.
I'd use and .043/.043/3mm STD oil ring.
Use a quality steel top and steel Napier second ring.

Check out Mahle power pack piston kits, baddass setup for the money.
Just my opinion.
Do those included rings have a napier second ring? That's a deal for everything included.

·
Banned
322 Posts
correct advice right here

·
Banned
322 Posts
once again, you show me you haven't a clue. His is a street engine in a street car, there is no good reason for him not to use a standard ring pack and further more, his engine's cubic inches was considered a big engine 20 years ago and everyone of those race engines made over 700hp and some made near 800hp with a standard ring package and no vacuum pump.

·
Registered
9,019 Posts
once again, you show me you haven't a clue. His is a street engine in a street car, there is no good reason for him not to use a standard ring pack and further more, his engine's cubic inches was considered a big engine 20 years ago and everyone of those race engines made over 700hp and some made near 800hp with a standard ring package and no vacuum pump.
So I guess causes the masses did it 25 years ago it should today??
HP production stuff, Corvette, Camaro, hell cats , all of them do NOT HAVE 1/16" RING PACKS.
Get with the times know it all...
.043/.043/. 3mm will work perfectly fine and can last 100,000 miles if the oil is changed regularly and the tune up is right.

·
Banned
322 Posts
keep guessing and qualifying your advice with ifs. Meanwhile, jonesman's build is already in trouble being that he's asking for advice on a message board no mind this board of all places.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You guys waste a lot of time, space and effort with your petty bickering. Reminds me of a couple of Kindergartners whimpering at each other on the playground . . . . . Grow up.

·
Registered
14,578 Posts
These days (decades ago) even the OEM's have gone to thinner ring packs. Today's .043 rings are yesterday's 1/16, just like the 1/16" ring replaced the 5/64" rings of 50 yrs ago. There is absolutely no reason to run a 1/16" ring on the street these days. Thinner rings will last forever and they are free hp. It's nothing to get personal about, it's just a fact of physics.

·
Registered
14,578 Posts
1/16" rings are not standard on anything any more and haven't been for decades. They're old school. You only find them in the aftermarket, and only because they probably made a bazillion of them. Any modern performance piston/ring package these days is metric and thinner. A good .043 ring these days will outlast most builds.
This isn't 20 yrs ago. That's a really bad reason to still be doing something in the performance engine industry.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will have the kit put together with the mahle pistons and their rings was looking at their piston anyways looks like a nice peice for the money. Now to just make a decision on crank and rods. Definitely going forged but would love e to do Crower but the wallet says Scat or maybe Molnar. Never been a big Eagle guy. Have used them twice and things were off size both times, one SBC and one BBC.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks there beltfeed I will check them out they make some nice looking stuff I've never used them. I have heard their compstar line I believe it's called is offshore stuff not saying that's bad I don't really know. I've also heard their magnum line is 100% US. Thier ultra I beam.rods look like a nice rod.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts