Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Them little bastards are ruthless. See all the dislikes haha humane society people must not like that one

·
Registered
361 Posts
Theyre badass when they eat but any other time they wont move. Kinda boring fish. Check out payara or Sabre tooth tetras. They are badass

·
Aviation Section
25,379 Posts
I had a Red Belly Amazon and a Black Niger in the 70's and they were in two seperate tanks, each was no more then 7" long and not real thick, they grow according to the enviorment and I had them in each a 35 gallon tank.

The red is considered the prettiest fresh water tropical fish, deep red coloring in the bottom of the fish very much like a salt water fish.

You can't see the teeth unless you cut the gumbs back and that is exactly what they do when they are mounted for display.

Unlike the movies they are a pretty docile fish, I could put my hand in either tank and they would try to bust the glass on the opposite side of the tank to get away from me. I had a Jack Dempsey that if I did that would immediately try to bite my whole hand off!

They don't swim much, just sit there most of the time until you put a feeder in there (goldfish) then they would still sit there for a time watching until they struck the feeder, they would inhale the feeder in one gulp and all you would see after the strike is some scales floating to the bottom of the tank!

They were legally sold in Pittsburgh at pet stores, not legal in Florida because if released in the wild here would survive the winter and have no natural enemy where they come from and for sure have none here except for unsuspecting fisherman when caught.

Would not want to swim in a school of them when they had a feeding frenzy going on but they are really not like thier reputation, an Oscar is far more fierce then one of them. Dave

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
I had a Red Belly Amazon and a Black Niger in the 70's and they were in two seperate tanks, each was no more then 7" long and not real thick, they grow according to the enviorment and I had them in each a 35 gallon tank.

The red is considered the prettiest fresh water tropical fish, deep red coloring in the bottom of the fish very much like a salt water fish.

You can't see the teeth unless you cut the gumbs back and that is exactly what they do when they are mounted for display.

Unlike the movies they are a pretty docile fish, I could put my hand in either tank and they would try to bust the glass on the opposite side of the tank to get away from me. I had a Jack Dempsey that if I did that would immediately try to bite my whole hand off!

They don't swim much, just sit there most of the time until you put a feeder in there (goldfish) then they would still sit there for a time watching until they struck the feeder, they would inhale the feeder in one gulp and all you would see after the strike is some scales floating to the bottom of the tank!

They were legally sold in Pittsburgh at pet stores, not legal in Florida because if released in the wild here would survive the winter and have no natural enemy where they come from and for sure have none here except for unsuspecting fisherman when caught.

Would not want to swim in a school of them when they had a feeding frenzy going on but they are really not like thier reputation, an Oscar is far more fierce then one of them. Dave
When I was a kid, I had a tank separated (not very well), by a piece of glass, a red belly piranha on one side, and a Jack Dempsey on the other... on day the glass tipped over, and when I came home from school, I had a Dead Piranha, and a happy Jack Dempsey. Strange but true.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I have four red bellies they are in a 30 gallon tank and at a year old they are about 4 inches long each. Plan on changing then into a much larger tank soon

·
Registered
333 Posts
I had 9 at one time once. They would fly out of the tank when I walked in the room. Had frog live with them for years he kicked there ass the first day and never bothered him again small guy too

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I had one red belly and yeah very boring for the most part it just sat there. I tried to feed it a mouse once but it wouldn't have anything to do with the mouse. They are messy as shit too plan on changing the water often. I have a gator now it is a way better pet.

·
Ass, Gas or Grass
17,105 Posts

When I was little we had a few Oscars, one of them just plain fucked up my moms thumb one night while she was feeding them.

·
Cereal Killer
2,249 Posts
I had red bellies before, they were great fish when they were small. When they were still eating frozen food like brine shrimp and frozen beef-heart they were aggressive eaters. Even when they moved up to rosies, and minnows they were still aggressive. But once they got to be about 3-4" and were eating full size goldfish they were boring. Most of the time they would only eat at night, and sometimes it would take them days to eat. It would get to the point I was feeding the goldfish in the tank because I was afraid they would starve waiting to be eaten.

The most exciting fresh water fish I've ever had are Large Mouth Bass, or Peacock Bass. They eat anything that moves the second it hits the water. I've fed mine crickets, worms, and of course goldfish. They devour the goldfish so fast I've seen one bass go to eat his 2nd or third fish, and have the first one swim out of its mouth...lol.

One of the bast places to shop for anything you want is here. http://aquascapeonline.com/

I'm thinking of getting some Saber Tooth/Vampire tetra's next.http://www.aquascapeonline.com/products/saber-tooth-payara-4-hydrolycus-scomberoides.html

·
Registered
222 Posts
how hard would it be to get a snakehead?
Impossible unless you want to go to prison for a fish...... They are on the the federal and state ban list along with several other fish. since Snakeheads are not a natural part of the U.S. ecosystems. To avoid this from happening, importing Snakeheads to the U.S. is illegal since 2003.

If I remember reading right, the fine is a minimum of $10k and up to 10 years.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts