Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Chad, what was wrong with your HQT cutter?
I get fantastic finish on iron and alloy. I drilled two holes in it for PCD and CBN. I only use the PCD for alloy and the tips supplied for iron and it is unbelievable. I saw you had problems with chatter on iron but I have not seen this.
Did you not sort that out?

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chad, what was wrong with your HQT cutter?
I get fantastic finish on iron and alloy. I drilled two holes in it for PCD and CBN. I only use the PCD for alloy and the tips supplied for iron and it is unbelievable. I saw you had problems with chatter on iron but I have not seen this.
Did you not sort that out?
Nothing is wrong, I use it daily..

I have never cut a iron head with my HQT. I had chatter once because I forgot to take a valve out and I destroyed a the screw hole for one cutter, my Hertel arbor, the mill spindle, and had to have the head welded where it tore the guide out.

That is all fixed. I love my HQT. That is why this unit is on a try before you buy program! :)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Do those grubscrews mean that the tip holder can be adjusted by sliding in and out, effectively changing the flycutter diameter?

Can someone explain to me why this adjustability is needed? Is it to change tip speed?

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
Do those grubscrews mean that the tip holder can be adjusted by sliding in and out, effectively changing the flycutter diameter?

Can someone explain to me why this adjustability is needed? Is it to change tip speed?

If there are two inserts they need to be adjusted in conjunction with one another.

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
the aparrent high shear angle of the inserts is working pretty good according to your photos..

i still was a little bit leeeery of putting all that weight and large diameter on the R-8 taper in the spindle...
but you have proven some things with the results that we see HERE...

what is the calculated surface speed and travel speed..?????

what R value of surface do you think that you have obtained...??

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
and do you need to "pull down" against the under screws/jackscrews,
in order to keep it from lifting while it is cutting...

directional cutting on a brigeport......

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The cut in the photo was 6"/min and 850 rpm. However, I made a 4"/min and 1000 rpm and it was golden! I also but .0015 of lead in the cutter.

Not sure the Ra, I will find out..

I have never, ever, used any jack screws for milling. The cpmotorsports fixture was supplied with deck arms, and I do have jack screws, but like shown in the photo, it's how I cut it.

The fixture is the key. Tight mill.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts