·
Senior Moment
7,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...or other? What do ya's use, and why?

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
For pork Foil if I use anything.......I like the juices it gathers so we can pour back over the chopped end product.

For brisket I've been using paper lately.

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
depends what im cooking, it's either saran wrap and then something called "uline" paper. Or just the Uline paper.
Uline is what my butcher uses. I asked where he got it, he told just let me know when I need it and I pay his price for it.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I no longer use any kind of wrap when cooking on my kamado. With such little airflow compared to most cookers, I find it's not worth the effort. My ribs do turn out a touch drier, but I end up with a bark I like better, and my labor gets cut in half. If I find myself cooking on a more traditional smoker/cooker, I'm usually away from home and use what I have available, which generally means foil.

On a semi-related note, last weekend I smoked a small pork butt that I cooked in my cast iron Dutch oven, lid off. I pulled it in the Dutch oven after cooling off, so all the juices ended up right back in the meat. It was fantastic, and it made for great leftover lunches.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Aaron Franklin did a good brisket wrap comparison on his TV show a few years back. I couldln't find the full episode, but here's the end of it. The other dude in the video is a weirdo, but there's some good info.

·
Sizeable Member
7,742 Posts
I always use foil to save the juice. Brisket and pork butts.
Same here. I mix the drippings into my pulled pork sauce and I also use them in a pan to hold brisket slices until I can serve them. Brisket starts to dry out the second you slice it so you have to do something to keep it moist.

·
Former RJ instigator
42,533 Posts
Wide heavy duty foil is all I use, but I heard the bark turns out better with pink butcher paper, but IDK, never used it.

·
Registered
399 Posts
On those meats that benefit from wrapping, I will use foil unless the preservation of bark is an issue, then it is always the pink butcher paper. I was not convinced of it's utility until actually trying it side-by-side, along with foil on a couple of briskets. Both my buddy and I were a bit surprised by how much better the papered brisket was at retaining bark and not turning into more of a "pot roast," Yet retaining moisture inside.

It can be a bit messy to use, and the drippings are mostly wasted, if that is important, but it does well at preserving bark.

·
Senior Moment
7,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On those meats that benefit from wrapping, I will use foil unless the preservation of bark is an issue, then it is always the pink butcher paper. I was not convinced of it's utility until actually trying it side-by-side, along with foil on a couple of briskets. Both my buddy and I were a bit surprised by how much better the papered brisket was at retaining bark and not turning into more of a "pot roast," Yet retaining moisture inside.

It can be a bit messy to use, and the drippings are mostly wasted, if that is important, but it does well at preserving bark.

I only have about a dozen briskets under my belt, but by the 3-4-5, I started using paper, and that's what kind of sold me on paper. The bark.
I guess that was my question, regarding paper/foil....brisket.
Thanks, all....

·
Senior Moment
7,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ttt....sick of the bullshit thread

1 - 16 of 16 Posts