Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a friend of mine is having one next weekend, he and i have both been to plenty of them but we have never roasted one ourselves.
any tips or tricks anyone cares too share?
what temp should we be cooking at, and for how long ?
what cooked temps should we be watching for?
he has 3 pigs to pick from. were guessing they will dress out around 100, 120, 140.
we think somewhere around 50 to 60 people will be showing up.
we are wondering how much were pork were going to need.
of course not to many of us that will be there are shy about eating exspecially when it comes to roasted pig.
he was thinking we could get away with getting the bigger one butchered and have it cut in half, roast one half and the other half cut up for the freezer.
i also have about 18 pounds of pork shoulder i was going to smoke for pulled pork sandwiches, plus there will be tons of side dishes.
there is nothing worse than not having enough pig for everybody, but at the same time he really doesn't want to waste any of it either.

·
Impeach obama
6,174 Posts
I have been wanting to try a whole pig myself, any information would be appreciated.

Hey Arrow, where would this pig roast be happening??? :-D

·
Registered
261 Posts
I would go with 2.5 servings per lbs if they are hearty eaters. If not, 3 servings per lbs.

Make sure the shoulder and ham get to 197F or you will be chopping and not pulling.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Dump some hot sauce in the belly, onions, and potatoes. We will let one cook for around 7 hours. If your not super tight pick up some flavored charcoal. For around 45 to 50 people the 130lb will do a great job

Our pit is 6 ft by 5 ft with lid. We line the two side with about 6 bags of charcoal and leave a 1 ft area the hog is above in sand.

·
Registered
21,141 Posts
I used to do a 120 pounder every year, but I havent done it in a while. Personaly above that gets a little harder to handle if your on a spit.I probably had 50-60 quest and the bones were always licked clean.

The ones that I did that were liked the most by family/friends were the ones I seasoned whith diff variations of seasoning salt and packed with gabage and 100% pork sausage in the belly.

·
Registered
784 Posts
SLOW and LOW, 225* degree Max, 6-12 hours. baste all the time, if doing whole pig stuff cavity with aromatics and sausage like above post mentioned.

Derek

·
WTF?
12,518 Posts
And if your friends are anything like mine, I would figure at least 3/4lb per person cooked meat. How many like to stand around for hours drink beer and graze? I know I do!

·
Tony McKellar
4,812 Posts
NC style FTMFW!

·
Registered
21,141 Posts
I just always allowed 8 plus hrs for cook time and used a thermometer and then controlled the time by the fire the best I could. It always seem to work out OK.

As Derek suggested, low and slow is the ticket to a great pig.

I use a 55 gal drum split in half with legs, filled with charcoal on either side of the pig with the rotating spit in the middle. You can adjust the halves in and out for heat control.

The real trick is tying the hog to the spit so it doesn't slip on the spit as the hog is roasting. The closer it get to being down it tends to want to slip if it isn't anchored good.

As 1stGen stated on the hoof 3/4 lb is probably a real good suggestion. Eitherway as he says with friends and beer there probably can't be anything such as "too much" pig.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all the responces, i really appreciate them.
at least i have a good idea what we should be doing now :)
the guy having it had thought about stuffing it with some thing and the sausage , potatoes, and hot sauce idea sounds great.

"where would this pig roast be happening??? :-D "
lol, west of adrian just a little ways off 223, if your in the area swing in, its our first one so there is no guarente on how its going to taste though, ha ha

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
If you skin it ahead of time, makes things alot easier when it comes time to roast and serve
150lb pig is plenty for 60 peeps

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i just found that site the other day too, it does have some handy info on cooking time and about how much charcoal you should need.
the way they cook it looks to be pretty cool to do though.
i would like to try to cook one like that.
for this one he was going to borrow a fuel oil drum that has been converted into a cooker with a rotisserie.

·
Un-Official YB Tormentor
5,087 Posts
on the fuel oil tank style cookers, make a drip pan to keep the fat from killing the fire.

At my parties, I always plan on 3/4 pound per person. Women eat less, but guys eat more. ESEPCIALLY if its good.
I marinated 40# of vension for the grill, at my daughters grad party, along with 10 marinated flank steaks (about 25#)(for London Broil sandwiches) and burgers, sausages and dogs. The vension and London Broils are gone as soon as they come off the grill. Needless to say, I had tons of burger, sausage and dogs left, but I was still suprised at how much they ate.

BBQ Tip of the day:
Fish stores sell the plastic bins that they package the fish in. Generally they are like $.50-.75 each. Get 20-30 of them !:-D Not only good for storing parts, But you can wash them good with lemon deterngent to get the fish smell out, and put mac/potato salads in them. They fit in the big coolers pretty well. I make a small stand so that the tubs sit near the top, with ice in the bottom to keep things cold. Open the lid, grabyour salad, close the lid, and no one gets sick frm eating rancid mayo, and no flies!!

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
this what was left after about 5 hrs off picking...

http://s474.photobucket.com/albums/rr107/427chevyII/?action=view&current=Picture039.jpg

·
Registered
149 Posts
I do my pigs in the ground,have a permanet pit in back yard with fire bricks lining it.We have been doing them for 40 years this way and the results are the best pork you have ever eaten!God bless pork

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I do my pigs in the ground,have a permanet pit in back yard with fire bricks lining it.We have been doing them for 40 years this way and the results are the best pork you have ever eaten!God bless pork
do you have any pics of your set up ?
i would like to get some ideas for building something like that in the future.

im getting pretty excited for this weekend, my friend raises his own pigs, so you know its going to be good.
he also raises his own chickens and he is going to cook up some of those too, im thinking im going to need a wheelbarrow to haul my ass around after dinner. lol

·
Impeach obama
6,174 Posts
im thinking im going to need a wheelbarrow to haul my ass around after dinner. lol
LMAO, I am smoking 4 pork shoulders, 2 turkey legs, a brisket and a whole chicken this weekend, cant wait to see how it all turns out.

After you guys pull the pork try a finishing sauce (receipe courtesy of www.smokingmeatforums.com) :

1 Cup Cider Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning
1 Teaspoon Course Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes

Warm the Vinegar up enough so that it dissolves the Sugar well. Then add the remaining ingredients.

I use it in one of those clear Ketchup bottles you can get from Wally World for about $0.99. Snip a little bit larger hole out of the spout with a pair of scissors. Once all your ingredients are mixed together, put your finger over the top, and shake vigorously.

Randomly squirt this over warm freshly pulled Pork, then kind of mix it up with gloved hands. This adds very little heat (despite the Red Pepper) and mellows out the stronger, gamier parts of the Shoulder. The Vinegar also helps break it down even more for some REAL juicy pork.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts