Yellow Bullet Forums banner
45581 - 45600 of 45746 Posts

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
That Sea Fury had a great airframe attached to a bad engine! Leave it to the Brits to try to reinvent the wheel, they put Sleeve Valves in the radial engine instead of Poppet Valves!
I think the Napier Sabre is sleeve valve also. I've heard/read/been told these engines were a nightmare to maintain in dusty conditions found at forward airfields.

The Brits seem to have a love affair with extra nuts, bolts, and fiddly parts. Doesn't the Merlin have like 30% more parts than an Allison?

·
Aviation Section
27,196 Posts
I think the Napier Sabre is sleeve valve also. I've heard/read/been told these engines were a nightmare to maintain in dusty conditions found at forward airfields.

The Brits seem to have a love affair with extra nuts, bolts, and fiddly parts. Doesn't the Merlin have like 30% more parts than an Allison?
I am not sure about that but I do know when I was at Eastern and checked out on the L-1011 in the SIM the first thing I said was "What the Hell is an N3"!

The RB-211 was a TRIPLE spool engine versus our twin spool (only N1 and N2)! You would think less complexity would be the way to go for an aircraft but the Brits have a different idea.

The company I work for now last year harvested a 777 that they bought, it had the RR Trent engines on it, we still have them for sale because nobody wants them, they are pure junk as they are a derivative of the RB-211 triple spool engine!

Reactions: James Joyce

·
Aviation Section
27,196 Posts
As I had mentioned before I'm taken flying lessons. A few weeks ago at 2000 feet I was surprised to see some birds flying above us. A couple of days later there were a pair of sand hill cranes cross my path while on final.
We heat the windows on FAA 121 aircraft to make them more pliable in case of a strike and they are two ply. I have been involved in many bird strikes, two just coming out of Chi Town, but only one hit the window shattering the first ply outside glass.

One of the reasons we fly no faster then 250 below 10K feet, the other is that it lets the Controllers on the ground keep up with the traffic.

Reactions: James Joyce

·
Registered
18 Posts
[/QUOTE]

The P-51 was more than thankful for those extra 30% of parts

·
Registered
43,650 Posts
The P-51 was more than thankful for those extra 30% of parts
[/QUOTE]
The P51 was powered by Packard built Marlins, a very different engine than RR built.

45581 - 45600 of 45746 Posts