Yellow Bullet Forums banner

37781 - 37800 of 42098 Posts

·
Behind Enemy Lines In Ca.
15,911 Posts
Oh boy!!! We tore down and reassembled a R-985, too. But they were missing probably 60% of the nuts/bolts. We did have 1 running 985 in the test cell, though. I'm pretty sure most folks that got an A&P went onto some other field.
I use to wash my hands with MEK and Scotchbrite pads when I use BMS5-95 seal. (Remember that stuff, Dave?). Still use it ALL the time to this day, but now use proper gloves. Hell, we use to dump 5 gallon buckets of Freon into the bellies of 747's to clean them prior to spraying corrosion preventative. Hundreds of gallons........ respirator? Who needs THAT? We would spray each other with LPS-3, too.
Practical jokes were an everyday event. Now days you can get fired for invading someone's "zone". Still a great place to work, but.......... different.
When I was at Northrop in 1961-1962 time frame we had a J-33 and a J47 to tear down and reassemble. As to radials I remember the Jacob and also an inline 6 cylinder which the name escapes me for now. I was impressed by the castings and how well it was made. I want to say a Franklin but I don't think that was what it was. Hell, that was over 50 years ago. :)

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
When I was at Northrop in 1961-1962 time frame we had a J-33 and a J47 to tear down and reassemble. As to radials I remember the Jacob and also an inline 6 cylinder which the name escapes me for now. I was impressed by the castings and how well it was made. I want to say a Franklin but I don't think that was what it was. Hell, that was over 50 years ago. :)
You got me beat by 20 years. Tell us about your practical exams to pass your tests. Airframe and Power plant (A&P). I met an old timer 36 years ago that his A&E license was #3. The third guy in the US to get a licence. Back when it was Airframe & Engine.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts

Colonel Yeager earning his Pay. The complete crash on that fateful afternoon. Amazing shit.

37781 - 37800 of 42098 Posts