Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought I would post some pictures of my soon to be turbo'd LS1. The car started as a 307. I only drove it home with that engine and then pulled it. The last 4 years the car has had 4 different 496's. None has lasted more than 7 months. High Compression, E85, track and lots of street miles.

I can't wait to get this thing going. I think the turbo'd small block will just sound nasty in this car. I plan on it being my daily driver with the improved gas mileage. With me in it, the car was 3700lbs but should lose a couple hundred going to the small block. Goal is 5.80's in the 1/8th.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
That color combo.... Stance.... Everything shaved..... God thats gorgeous and nasty lookin at the same time.

Im officially jealous.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That color combo.... Stance.... Everything shaved..... God thats gorgeous and nasty lookin at the same time.

Im officially jealous.
Thanks. It has been a lot of hard work. I think with the twin turbo set up it will be damn near the perfect ride for me and my 6 kids. lol. The wife hates the car but the kids love the thing. Go figure.

I am officially counting on your help to get this thing where it needs to be. I already plan on opening the top ring gap to .028 to match the second ring gap and trying it without any aftermarket rod bolts. I was forwarded many of your previous posts on this subject and what allows these stock bottom ends to run for a long time. I am going to run E85 so that will help a whole lot. 105 Octane! It's everywhere in our area. I even got the springs you recommended in a previous thread. So any help is truly appreciated. I want to put that former big block to shame. I still need a edelbrock efi intake (tall) BOV's and Wastegates, EFI regulator. Then just some odds and ends stuff. I can't believe I just blew this engine up a week ago and have already gotten this far.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NICE!!! Looks like it'll eat your soul if you even lean up against it.
Funny you say that....I call her "Black Death!" She has killed four 496s in the last 4 years. I think the twin turbo set up in the engine bay with no extras will look "killer!" The engine will be all black and silver just like before.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Ill answer any questions you might have and if i cant ill refer you to someone that can. I would suggest going ahead and doing the rod bolts since youll be pulling it down anyway to regap the rings. 80 bucks is cheap insurance from putting a rod thru the pan, oil under the tires, and that beautiful car into the wall. As a matter of fact a diaper might not be a bad idea. Id be sick if something happened to that thing.

·
Registered
592 Posts
You nailed the exterior on this thing, looks great! Good luck with the turbo build.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ill answer any questions you might have and if i cant ill refer you to someone that can. I would suggest going ahead and doing the rod bolts since youll be pulling it down anyway to regap the rings. 80 bucks is cheap insurance from putting a rod thru the pan, oil under the tires, and that beautiful car into the wall. As a matter of fact a diaper might not be a bad idea. Id be sick if something happened to that thing.
I agree. I will do the rod bolts and the diaper also. Thanks again.

On the oil pump are you just cleaning it out so it is smoother or porting it to a certain size?

·
up and running soon.
13,182 Posts
Looking good man.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thought I would post some of the items that I have either traded for or sold some parts and bought some parts. So far as planned.....I haven't spent a penny out of pocket.

Soon to be new home...

Plenty of room to route the twin turbos...

ECM and Wiring Harness

I think I got the good ECM. THe last 4 digits are 0411 and it has the "pins" so I can convert it to use the factory wiring harness and a throttle cable.

ARP Rod bolts and Patriot Gold Dual Valve Springs, boost controllers, 1 way check valves...

Edelbrock Intake and tall elbow...

·
Chupa Cabra
9,824 Posts
Looks GOOD I love the shaved door handles and paint color along with the fat ass stance. That is going to be one nasty machine!!! LSTTF!

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Looks good dude! Where do you plan on mounting the turbos? I'm curious how much you get to hack up, I'm rerouting my intercooler piping on my twins this winter and thinking that I will have to go to a half rad almost :S

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks good dude! Where do you plan on mounting the turbos? I'm curious how much you get to hack up, I'm rerouting my intercooler piping on my twins this winter and thinking that I will have to go to a half rad almost :S
I think we are going to run E85 so I won't need an intercooler. That will help a ton. I was actually wanting to get a hold of you to see if you had any installation pictures of how you did yours. I am planning on running the truck manifolds so it would just set the turbo's behind the headlights. Currently that is just open room. I want to run the exhaust back so it looks like I have a stock exhaust. The plan was to have tubing immediately split just past the BOV and then run in front of the radiator because of the extra room. I could also cut out the radiator support and move it even further back if need be. I want to run my big aluminum radiator only because it cools really, really, well.

Please post any pictures of your install if you don't mind. Any of it...thanks. It would help a ton. This is my first turbo build so should be interesting. Thank goodness I have lots of room. No powersteering, No vaccuum boosters, no heater, no A/C, nothing but room. I like a clean engine compartment though. I want to try and hide as much wiring as I can.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Ignore the mess, the car is torn apart and being cleaned up, new harness, all lines under the hood, etc etc. Its been throw together in several different stages every year.

I have changed the wastegate location this year to allow me to put back into the downpipes instead of atmosphere.

This shows how the downpipes are ran roughly.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Here was the most current setup before I yanked it all out.

No intercooler would be rad!! I wish but e85 is not readily available here.

When I get home I'll try to throw up a couple pics of the truck manifolds I have done in the past. When you do them, if you weld v bands onto them.... Go with the racepartsolutions v bands, Mild Steel. They kick ass, centering rings on them help for alignnment and asist in sealing up any possible warpage. Have both haves clamped tightly together when welding them.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
With E85 theres something you need to think about trying to run it on an EFI car.

Distance from the point the fuel is introduced to the air, to the chamber.

Think about the distance on an EFI LS engine.... 4 inches tops.

Now think about that distance on an LS with a super vic and a carb. Its easily double and close to three times that distance.

Alot of the guys that do non intercooled on E85 are blowthrough guys... More so than EFI guys.

The fuel needs time to pull heat out of the air. Thats why it works so well.

I dont think youd see the same results non intercooled as a blowthrough carb guy would, with the injectors in the stock location.

With the intake youre using...i want you to think about a couple things to help get the IATs down.

1. Adding supplimental standalone injectors in the charge pipes controlled with an EIC from SDSEFI instead of a "meth" kit. This would introduce some fuel earlier
in the airflow path allowing it to spend some time cooling the air. It would be plumbed into the fuel system for the motor so no extra pump, lines, or tank needed. Only thing youd need is a 4 port instead of 2 port regulator, couple weld on injector stands and injectors and some more fuel line.

2. Reworking the intake to put the injectors at the top of the runner instead ot the head face. On that intake it looks like you could double the distance the fuel traveled with the air by putting it up at the top of the runner. No its not really cheap to have that kinda fab work done...prolly 200-300 bucks, But i think on E85 it could really be worth the time and effort spent.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here was the most current setup before I yanked it all out.

No intercooler would be rad!! I wish but e85 is not readily available here.

When I get home I'll try to throw up a couple pics of the truck manifolds I have done in the past. When you do them, if you weld v bands onto them.... Go with the racepartsolutions v bands, Mild Steel. They kick ass, centering rings on them help for alignnment and asist in sealing up any possible warpage. Have both haves clamped tightly together when welding them.
Thanks for the pictures. That is almost exactly how I was at least going to mount the turbos but using the truck manifolds flipped. It should put the turbos in almost the same place.

1 - 20 of 213 Posts