Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a call from the shop I deal with today saying a guy sold part of his lever gun collection and they thought I might be interested in some of them. They had a 30/30, 44mag, win32, 44/40, and a 45-70. I was torn between the 44mag and the 45/70 both were priced the same and both were in great shape and after a lot of back and forth on it I wound up with the 45/70 GOVT. I really like how smooth everything works on this thing and how soft the trigger is, I may get back into deer hunting some now with this thing. I mean its nothing special just a marlin 1895SS with a cheap Simons scope, but I am excited to venture into the new world of levers... They are sure cheaper to buy well unless you get into the octagon barrel stuff which is what the win32 and another 30/30 is ....

Anyway like I said it aint much but its my newest venture...

·
Slow Poke
2,060 Posts
You will have lots of fun with it. I also just purchased a new Marlin 1895G in 45/70 a few months back. I've always owned bolt action and semi-auto rifles, so the lever is still taking a little to get used to, especially on quick cycling. However, it is lots of fun and a good caliber for lots of large critters.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, odds are I will get more as time goes along I am still amazed at how smooth this gun is. I think I am going to take it hog hunting this year.

·
Registered
12,936 Posts
I always enjoyed lever guns. I'm going to pick up a Winchester 9422 in 22 mag shortly. I had one when I was a kid and had to have another. Had a 444 Marlin, one time, too. That was a kickin' sob!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the links and info Grumpy, I was looking at ordering some in 325GR from ammo to go, they had them for 30 bux a box of 20 or 145 a box of 100. I am still kinda shopping around to see if I can stumble across a better deal I may look today when I get out in a lil bit. I am sure I will get the WTF look at Gander or Dicks lol.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Ive generally found the best value is shooting HOME CAST gas check BULLETS in a 45/70 ,cast from an alloy of wheel weights plus 4% tin by weight, sized to .459 and it drops the cost to pennies a cartridge
http://www.neihandtools.com/catalog/index.html

nei makes a couple nice hunting designed for deer, keep in mind these work really well out to about 200 yards on dear and need not be pushed over about 1700-1800fps

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advice, I figured it would make a good round for hunting in thick undergrowth since it is pretty heavy and a short barrel.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
That's a beautiful gun..

I love lever actions.. My favorite field gun is a Marlin .444 ..

Yeah it's a little overkill for Whitetail.. But I justify that by saying it's a good "brush gun" ..

It's bullet trajectory is not likely to be deflected by small branches and twigs..

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Jeff, I can talk myself into big guns by say well it wont have that much wind drift or brush deflection rather it is true or not thats how I justify it with out just saying its big I gotta buy it lol.

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
I own more than my share of lever guns, and just can't seem to get enough of them. My favorite is an octagon barreled Marlin 39M and a Savage 99 in .300 Savage that was shiped with a tang sight (1943). Don't own a 45/70, but do own a .450 Marlin guide gun that came with the factory brake on it. My dentest loves it as it will shake out the best fillings known to mankind! I own a 38-55 Cowboy, two 30-30's (Winchesters), two .444 Marlins (probably the best shooting guns of the whole lot), and a couple 45LC Cowboy guns. Then I also have a regular 39M that is not my favorite of the bunch.
There was a gunsmith in Indianapolis that was taking Marlin lever guns, and restocking them as well as heavilly reworking the mechanics of them into something closer to what we'd have seen in 1890. I saw a couple of them and the had the old time cresent stock with brass hardware. Flip up tang sights. Thirty inch barrels with full length magazines (octagon barrels). The wood was select walnut that was hand checkered into the Winchester presentation grade pattern; then hand rubbed with many coats of oil that was identical to what Purdy uses on their shotguns. They were a work of art! To have one in 38-55 or 40-60 would have been similar to sex
gary

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think I may be the same way here soon Gary lol. I do fully expect this gun to be rather brisk but that is the fun of shooting :p . I have not gotten into cowboy style shoots but I do love all guns and if the Good Lord allows me to keep on going like I am I will wind up with a collection of these lever guns.

·
Registered
695 Posts
The 1895 is a lot lighter than a Rolling Block, and will tell you about it in a hurry, especially if you run Buffalo Bore ammo through it.

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
I think I may be the same way here soon Gary lol. I do fully expect this gun to be rather brisk but that is the fun of shooting :p . I have not gotten into cowboy style shoots but I do love all guns and if the Good Lord allows me to keep on going like I am I will wind up with a collection of these lever guns.
I don't do cowboy shoots either but like the old style guns. Of them my absolute favorite is a Hi-Wall in 38-55 that has more doo dads on it than any gun would ever need. I also love the old single action revolvers as well (own around five 45LC's).
A lot of folks have a mag shotgun butt pad installed on the 45/70's. I never felt it was needed with my .444's, but a 330 grain bullet at a near max load will get old after awhile. Still the .450 is another story! That gun makes my shoulder ache just to look at it! Recoil reminds me of a .338 mag useing 300 grain bullets at a max load; if not close to a .340 Weatherby. You take the round and the way the stock is cut, and you need a case of horse linament! But the gun only has to shoot 30 yards max, and I hope what I shoot hurts him worse than it hurts me! Accuracey wise the .444 beats the other two hands down (I get 1.44" groups out of mine, and my brother gets 1.3" groups out of his)
gary

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
The 1895 is a lot lighter than a Rolling Block, and will tell you about it in a hurry, especially if you run Buffalo Bore ammo through it.
I pretty use nothing but jacketed bullets in all my "antiques." The one exception is my 38-55, and I use a cast lead bullet sized at .377(I think that's right). I have had a lot of leading problems with cast lead bullets at velocities over 1750 fps in all my guns, so just don't use a lot of them any more. I still use cast lead in my 45's and 44's. But even then I have leading problems in my Contender with the 44 mag (250grain with a gas check at 1700fps). I get no lead build up with the Hi-Wall (figure that out)
gary

·
Registered
695 Posts
Buffalo Bore has jacketed bullets for the .45-70, they just sell some of the hottest loads out there for them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts