Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Love my Sous Vide. I too use it weekly.

I typically do a quick sear then bag it and cook at 129 for about an hour and a half for a 1-1/2 inch filet and pat it dry and sear again. I have a big cast iron griddle I use on a propane grill.

20190921_182811.jpg

·
Registered
9,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ok , here's my opinion. Both steaks were tasteless. Not worth posting pics The ribeye was a little rare. The T bone came out medium. Going to pick up a Vac Sealer and try to wet age for 2 wks then try again.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Ok , here's my opinion. Both steaks were tasteless. Not worth posting pics The ribeye was a little rare. The T bone came out medium. Going to pick up a Vac Sealer and try to wet age for 2 wks then try again.
Make sure you season them before you put them in the bag. I’d also at minimum sear in a cast iron pan but preferably a grill.

Also, for a ribeye make sure you cook a little higher, no less than 135. Need to let that fat break down for a few hours.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
While the sous vide works well, I haven't found it to be necessary on cuts of meat that aren't super thick. I've been doing a reverse sear in the oven or toaster oven as low as it'll go, set meat thermometer to ding when it's about 5 degrees or so under desired finish temp, then finish off in a hot cast iron pan. This doesn't work quite as well on REALLY thick cuts, since the outside will cook faster than the interior, but I've had no issues on stuff up to 2" thick.

·
Senior Moment
6,456 Posts
...as stated, were they seasoned? Don't give up, man, I want to hear some positive vibes... ;)

21 - 31 of 31 Posts