Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
I use mine every week at a minimum. I highly recommend getting a vac sealer if you don’t already have one.

Fillets and Ribeyes are my absolute favorites. Whole tenderloin or prime rib turns out great also.

I try to finish any of my steaks over charcoal if possible but if it’s pouring out or I’m feeling lazy I finish with a light mayo spread on the meat and a couple minutes on each side in a hot cast iron skillet. Gives a nice crust and don’t worry, tastes nothing like mayo.

I keep a close eye on the “price reduced” meats at Sams Club. Season and add some garlic/herb butter to the bag and vac seal in the fridge for a couple weeks to a month before using. At any given time I have 6-8 steaks marinating in the fridge at the ready. Being vac sealed they wet age and keep for a long time.

·
Senior Moment
6,660 Posts
...been riding the fence on one of these for a couple of yrs. I'm just not sure I'll use it very often.
lol.....Convince me!!

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
...been riding the fence on one of these for a couple of yrs. I'm just not sure I'll use it very often.
lol.....Convince me!!
I will never cook a steak at home without one ever again.

Sous Vide a choice fillet at 130 for 2-3hrs, sear for 2 minutes or so each side when done. Enjoy a perfectly cooked med rare/rare+ that tastes like a $100 prime fillet from the best steak houses.

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
Mayo on the beef before you sear it is interesting.....we have mayod poultry for years before it goes in ten oven, smoker or on the grill.

Makes for a killer crust and crispy skin on the birds......thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I love mine.

Smoked brisket or pulled pork are epic.

Smoke a few hours then vacuum pack and Sous Vide for 24 hours. Just mash it up in the bag instead of pulling.

·
Senior Moment
6,660 Posts
I'm not knocking it, at all...but I've failed to see any compelling reason for ME to purchase one. I'm happy with my grilling/smoking/pan-frying. I have an insta-pot, and 2 air fryers. I live in the sticks and have no problem grilling outside in sub-zero weather. So, unless I lived in an urban environment, where I had to cook indoors, I'm still not seeing a benefit to me. I'm not being closed-minded about it, just looking for a compelling reason to buy one.

·
Registered
297 Posts
OK, this is why I use sous vide.
Lets say with steaks you are cooking in the sous vide the "whole" steak to a temp say 125.
You then sear the whole steak to the temp you like to eat it. For me 30~45 seconds on a hot grill each side.
Eat a steak cooked throughly thru to same temp. Top, bottom, ends or center all same temp.
If I cooked same steak only on a grill/bbq, the ends would be over cooked by the time the center of steak is at 135~140.
Does that make sence to you, because thats how it works for me.

·
Trolling the Trolls
14,539 Posts
OK, this is why I use sous vide.
Lets say with steaks you are cooking in the sous vide the "whole" steak to a temp say 125.
You then sear the whole steak to the temp you like to eat it. For me 30~45 seconds on a hot grill each side.
Eat a steak cooked throughly thru to same temp. Top, bottom, ends or center all same temp.
If I cooked same steak only on a grill/bbq, the ends would be over cooked by the time the center of steak is at 135~140.
Does that make sence to you, because thats how it works for me.
Only legit reason that I can see. But if I'm building a FIRE to cook something, I'm not just going to use it for only 3 minutes.

Indoors cooking, or using a gas side burner outside to heat up the cast iron skillet I could totally see. But then I'd have to buy a propane grill :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
After sous vide a cast iron pan would give a good sear inside the kitchen.
But look up the recipes on anovaculinary.com
Look up cooking eggs to your liking.
Not necessary to waste time stand over stove let the sous vide cook while you do other jobs about your place

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
Only legit reason that I can see. But if I'm building a FIRE to cook something, I'm not just going to use it for only 3 minutes.

Indoors cooking, or using a gas side burner outside to heat up the cast iron skillet I could totally see. But then I'd have to buy a propane grill :)
Completely understand where you are at with this explanation. Most times I’ll have cooked other items on the charcoal grill and once done crank it up for the steak sear. Corn, potatoes, asparagus, garlic bread, etc.

I agree, getting a load of charcoal up to 800 just for a couple minutes of cooking is a waste. That’s where the cast pan on the stove top is killer.

·
Senior Moment
6,660 Posts
REALLY???

The result here is tender, melt in your mouth brisket. The long cook time and the low temperate result in the juiciest brisket ever. The rub is heavy on the pepper, so it has a nice bite to it, and is totally delicious. Definitely serve this at your next get together if you want to impress! NOTE: To finish in the smoker, add 3 hours to total recipe time. 53 hours total.

Read More

Ingredients for 6
  • 1 brisket, 4-6 pounds
  • 1/3 cup coarsely ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup kosher salt
  • 1/4 oz pink curing salt (optional)
  • 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional, if using oven to finish!)
Directions
  • Step 1
    Set Anova Sous Vide Precision Cooker to 135°F / 57.2°C

• Step 2
    Combine salt, pepper, and pink salt. Mix thoroughly. Rub brisket liberally with seasoning.

• Step 3
    Place in vacuum bag, add liquid smoke if desired, and drop into pre-heated water bath. Cook for 50 hours.
  • Finishing Steps

• Step 1
    Pre-heat smoker or oven to 225°F / 107°C

• Step 2
    After 50 hours, remove brisket from water bath and place in a bowl of ice water for 30 minutes, changing ice once if necessary.

• Step 3
    Remove brisket from bag, pat dry, and add additional rub as necessary.

• Step 4
    Place in smoker or oven for 3 hours until exterior has nice color

• Step 5
    Slice against the grain, and enjoy!

.....not being a hater, in fact I hope you all enjoy this technique, but I don't think it's for me.....yet. (still riding the fence...lol)

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
I’ve never done anything for 50 hours. I’ve done pulled pork for 24 though and it is amazing.

·
Trolling the Trolls
14,539 Posts
Completely understand where you are at with this explanation. Most times I’ll have cooked other items on the charcoal grill and once done crank it up for the steak sear. Corn, potatoes, asparagus, garlic bread, etc.

I agree, getting a load of charcoal up to 800 just for a couple minutes of cooking is a waste. That’s where the cast pan on the stove top is killer.
Alton Brown on an older Good Eats mentioned doing the sear over top of the charcoal chimney just using a simple grate. That I can see after the water bath.

However, I used to prep, cook, and clean the damn sheet pans for the prime rib dinners were serve for 400-800 guests at the Sheraton I worked at as a kid. I never got to slice as that was up to the Chef or Asst. Chef sue to portion control. It was 35 years ago.

I didn't like the red, gummy, mushy, med. rare, blushing, barely warm, slices everyone else wanted. All those left over end/butt cut? I was in heaven! After cutting all I could eat of them, I made them into "burnt ends" without knowing WTF they were at the time. I just cubed up the left overs, sauced them, then put them in the oven Saturday night for about two hours, they were served at Sunday Brunch and were a HIT.

I was raised NOT to waste food and the end cuts off the roasts were just getting thrown away. I re-purposed them and the left over BBQ sauce for the week, what was Fri-Sat garbage was a hit on Sunday Brunch.

·
Trolling the Trolls
14,539 Posts
50+ hours for brisket at low temps, the fat would never render out to make it juicy.

Since tallow render at 140-145, having the water bath at 150-160 would seem ideal.

Since I have gout issues, I will never mess with a brisket cook. I did however pick up a 2.72 pound blade chuck roast to toss in the crock pot that was on markdown, gout be damn when a cheap piece on meat shows up!

·
Former RJ instigator
39,939 Posts
Seems like a huge waste of time and money to me, reverse sear is my go to if I'm really wanting a mucho perfecto cooked steak.

I'm sorry, but you can't get the of kind of flavor I like with some hot water and a torch.

Reverse seared tomahawk ribeye over hardwood charcoal and pecan wood.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts