Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do i properly phase my msd pro billet distributor on 400sbc with a msd crank trigger?? Initial timing set at 35* then 9* first stage, 8* second stage of nitrous?

·
Super Moderator
9,251 Posts
Yep, just line the crank trigger up at 26deg and line the rotor up to the #1 terminal on the cap. The engine does not have to be running.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how do i know when the crank trigger is at 26*?? I have a retard box with those degree chips installed for 1st and 2nd. Do I still line it up at 26*?

·
T/S 368E
33,651 Posts

Balancer marks.

·
Addicted To Nitrous!
3,372 Posts
The reason for phasing the distributor with a crank trigger is so that when the retards are activated the terminal is lined up with the rotor ath the desired retard. If you dont do it as these guys are telling you it will be crossfiring with that much retard.

·
Addicted To Nitrous!
3,372 Posts
NO, line up balancer at 26* the move trigger to the magnet, the line up the rotor with the #1 terminal, a hole in the cap will help with this, when finished check with a timing light at balancer and then verify with the timing light thru the hole in the dist cap.

·
Procharger Power
23,972 Posts
I have a retard box..so there is no need to phase it at 26*..
Yes you do. Retards and phasing are two different things. You need to have a decent sized hole near the #1 plug tower so you can see the tip of the rotor. Set the balancer at 26°. Line the rotor up in the center of the #1 tower. When it's running on engine it will be firing on the leading edge of the rotor. When both retards are on it will be firing on the trailing edge of the rotor. Now don't argue and just do it.:p

·
Addicted To Nitrous!
3,372 Posts
You will have to do the timing light thing with retadrs activated. There is probably an easier way, but thata the way I have done it in the past and had good results.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I drill a hole in the distributor cap and use a timing light to see where the rotor points when it fires. Doing it with the engine not running gets it close but the timing light has always shown mine to need moved when running. If I wanted it phased at 26 then I'd set the timing at 26 then check rotor phase and then reset the timing. RM

·
Procharger Power
23,972 Posts
Mine is fine when I set it with the engine not running. Must be because I drive a Ford. FordRules:
It isn't because it's a Furd Jim.:smt082 Our Chevy's are the same way. Once the intitial timing is set properly everything else should be fine.:cool:

·
Super Moderator
9,251 Posts
My crank trigger is set at 40 deg. I end up running at around 20 total going down the track. I line up the balacer at 20 deg btdc, line up the rotor with the #1 terminal on the cap, and go order a pizza. :cool:

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I'm going to go check my rotor phase out this evening with it not running. I just set the rotor phase Wed with the timing light as well as the timing so I'm confident it is right. If I can do it not running and it's right that would be very neat. Maybe I'll learn a new trick. RM

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Well I checked it and it is right. Not sure why it didn't seem right when I did it before. Maybe just didn't set it right since I knew I was going to set it with the light. Learned something new again. Thanks, RM

1 - 17 of 17 Posts