Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does phasing a distibutor mean. mine is locked out. put it back just as it came out. car seems to run fine.BBC at 38 deg. THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP!

·
Super Moderator
9,250 Posts
You want to put the engine at 38 deg btdc and line up the rotor with the #1 terminal on the dist cap. Then clamp down the dist.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
phasing a distributor just means that you need to make sure that the rotor tip is lined up properly with the contact in the distibutor when it fires, that is , pointing directly at it.to check it , put the timing pointer on 38, then take off the cap to see if the tip is aligned exactly with the dist. contact. if they aren't, you need to turn just the cap or "bowl" like on a msd pro cap. don't turn the whole distributor, or timing will change. not all distibutors can be phased, as the cap can't be rotated independently.but if you have a crank trigger,i believe you can turn the whole distributor. i might be wrong on that though, i dont have a crank trigger.............yet

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
so adjust engine timing instead of ignition timing???

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
phasing a distributor just means that you need to make sure that the rotor tip is lined up properly with the contact in the distibutor when it fires, that is , pointing directly at it.to check it , put the timing pointer on 38, then take off the cap to see if the tip is aligned exactly with the dist. contact. if they aren't, you need to turn just the cap or "bowl" like on a msd pro cap. don't turn the whole distributor, or timing will change. not all distibutors can be phased, as the cap can't be rotated independently.hope this helps
i dont think a msd pro billet can be

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I used to get an old distributor cap and drill a hole in it, then use a timing light throught the hole to check rotor phasing. The MSD rotors have slots so they can be rotated to get the tang lined up perfect with the cap post. Or at least they used to be 2 pieces.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I used to get an old distributor cap and drill a hole in it, then use a timing light throught the hole to check rotor phasing. The MSD rotors have slots so they can be rotated to get the tang lined up perfect with the cap post. Or at least they used to be 2 pieces.
This is the way I do it. Old cap with a hole cut in it, spinning on an old distributor machine, using an MSD adjustable rotor. It's my understanding that you want the rotor tip on the "leading" edge of the contact.

·
Long Live The King
106,077 Posts
This is the way I do it. Old cap with a hole cut in it, spinning on an old distributor machine, using an MSD adjustable rotor. It's my understanding that you want the rotor tip on the "leading" edge of the contact.
Thats what I've been told too....but where do you set it if you run 6* retard with a 250hp Nos shot ?

G

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
if u have a worn cap/rotor on your 85551 distributor, this is perfect time to upgrade to this....

http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD-Ignition/121/8420/10002/-1?parentProductId=747900

drill a hole by number one terminal and when setting your timing with a non advance gun, shoot in hole u drilled in cap and the rotor can be adjusted for the arc to be hitting on the trailing edge. so when you use nitrous and want retard it will be arcing from center of rotor terminal to center of cap terminal...i love mine :)!

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
if u have a worn cap/rotor on your 85551 distributor, this is perfect time to upgrade to this....

http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD-Ignition/121/8420/10002/-1?parentProductId=747900

drill a hole by number one terminal and when setting your timing with a non advance gun, shoot in hole u drilled in cap and the rotor can be adjusted for the arc to be hitting on the trailing edge. so when you use nitrous and want retard it will be arcing from center of rotor terminal to center of cap terminal...i love mine :)!
guess they dont have this for a chevy cap??

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
well the thing ive noticed about the big three is they all have their own strengths...a ford cap has more space inbetween terminals on the cap so cross arcing theory is near-nil....my cap and rotor was showing wear plus im using nitrous, so for me it was a no brainer

1 - 17 of 17 Posts