Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
434 alcohol injected sbc, PG with brake, 2650lbs, 4.88 gears, 33"tire, 8"ATI 5000 stall, 1.30 60ft, 5.91 @ 116 1/8, 9.35 @ 142 1/4.

When I replaced the pump in my PG I repalced it with a stock "unported" pump, could this have caused a converter filling issue at higher rpm's making the coverter feel "loose" on the top end of the track?? The converter feels tight on the line, the car leaves at 4900-5000 with no flash, but the car goes through the top end at 7800 rpm, which seems really high for my combo. By my calculations the converter seems really loose at the top end of the track. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Bryan

·
Super Moderator
19,777 Posts
Looks like around 9% slip. Did you have another pump in the trans previously that did actually make the converter act differently than it does now?

If you just used the pump side , that should be comparible with most gear pumps.
If you changed the stator side , there are differences that could change stall just slightly.

Hutch

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats part of the problem I don't really have any comparable information. This is a brand new converter from ATI, also last 2 years I have only run 1/8 mile so the problem was not so evident. When we changed pumps we changed both halves. Is there anything else in the trans that could cause this problem?? The guys at ATI agree that the numbers are off and are willing to adjust the converter but they aren't convinced it's neccesarily a converter problem. I use Mobil 1 synthetic trans fluid and it never smells burnt, mabey I'm overlooking something?.

Thanks, Bryan

·
Super Moderator
19,777 Posts
Don't think your pump is the problem. They are willing to make and adjustment BUT its not a converter problem. THEY could never make a mistake.:roll:

Hutch

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hutch do you think I should send the converter back? Also, I'd be willing to drop my glide off to have you go through it if you think it will help. Just getting frustrated with this problem, appreciate your input.
thanks, Bryan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts