Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a TSI 1.80 planetary I have been running in a stock case for a couple years. Switched everything over to a TSI SFI case. 6 runs later lose reverse. Found reverse springs in the pan in pieces. Planetary had rubbed spring retaining plate . Had. 010 endplay with a bearing behind pump. Bearing is behind planetary also. The nuts on the axles rubbed. Any one see this before and suggestions on how to check this clearance.

·
Registered
10,014 Posts
I have a TSI 1.80 planetary I have been running in a stock case for a couple years. Switched everything over to a TSI SFI case. 6 runs later lose reverse. Found reverse springs in the pan in pieces. Planetary had rubbed spring retaining plate . Had. 010 endplay with a bearing behind pump. Bearing is behind planetary also. The nuts on the axles rubbed. Any one see this before and suggestions on how to check this clearance.
I hate to say it, But it's probably a Blem or a Problem with THE TSI case........

Maybe just a snap ring not installed right.............

Who built it.....????

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I built the trans. Im running the stiff pro tree springs. What is the thickness of the snap supposed to be. I believe I used the same one I had on the stock case.

·
Registered
517 Posts
what tool did you use to compress the springs? i only ask because ive fucked some retainers up before i got the right tool.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As far as spring retainer im not sure which one I used same one I had in stock case with the stiff pro tree springs. Are there different ones? .

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what tool did you use to compress the springs? i only ask because ive fucked some retainers up before i got the right tool.
I have a homemade one that is made of a thick wall tubing that is the same size as the outside diameter of the retainer. I made it so it pushes on the outside where the edge rolls down.

·
Registered
10,014 Posts
This, And all springs are not created EQUAL............ I have had some that don't sit nicely in the piston, or stand crooked.... you got to be careful that you don't lay some of the springs over or tilt them...... is it a stock retainer plate????? it will distort pretty good with the heavy springs............???

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have the ford tool for the 4r75 trans, you can set the press forks wherever you want. i always press directly in the center of the springs that way it is pressing on a more or less 'solid' spot, where if you press on the edge it might distort the retainer.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This, And all springs are not created EQUAL............ I have had some that don't sit nicely in the piston, or stand crooked.... you got to be careful that you don't lay some of the springs over or tilt them...... is it a stock retainer plate????? it will distort pretty good with the heavy springs............???
I did change springs. I installed a new coan valvebody and they came with new springs so I used them since they were new. Yes its a stock retaining plate. TSR is sending me what they use with the heavy springs a kit I think is what they are sending me.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I did change springs. I installed a new coan valvebody and they came with new springs so I used them since they were new. Yes its a stock retaining plate. TSR is sending me what they use with the heavy springs a kit I think is what they are sending me.
last glide i built had a coan brake, used their springs with the stock retainer plate, has roughly 75 passes on it with no issues. could have gotten lucky though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts