Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me what it involves in converting a standard diameter input shaft to one of the over size ones. This would be for a HI, HP application. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
19,639 Posts
Oversize in the spline area? What is your power level and what problems are you having? There are not too many options for OS shafts and pumps.

Hutch

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right now I'm not having any problems. 2500lb. tube chassis 706-2 systems. I am using Coan best stuff, ring-less input (standard Dia.). I'm planning on changing to a supercharged motor it should be 2200-2400 hp. Just thinking of upgrading my input shaft size to maybe head off any problems. I see all the major players in trans are offering a larger input (1 1/8---1 3/16 maybe more) on there best stuff. Thanks

·
from across the pond...
6,943 Posts
We ran Hutch's std dia ringless input shaft with 2350hp and 3440# for 18 months and no issues.
If the material and shape is right you should have no issues with a std size. Of course the shift timing was spot on as well which can be a shaft breaker in a glide..

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
frankie taylor ran a bruno i think last year with a turbo 1" shaft made out of maraging, and did not break or bend it, all year on the same shaft....

and he makes over 2800HP...

i think you will be fine with a shaft made out a a good material.

Marage and nasa are the only stuff i see guys useing.

·
Super Moderator
19,639 Posts
Right now I'm not having any problems. 2500lb. tube chassis 706-2 systems. I am using Coan best stuff, ring-less input (standard Dia.). I'm planning on changing to a supercharged motor it should be 2200-2400 hp. Just thinking of upgrading my input shaft size to maybe head off any problems. I see all the major players in trans are offering a larger input (1 1/8---1 3/16 maybe more) on there best stuff. Thanks
What you are using should be fine. If you want to upgrade , how far are you willing to go?

You can go just shaft, hub and pump and still use your planet or you can go all the way but you may as well build another trans as nothing fits.

Hutch

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply. Hutch just told me what I wanted to know. I'm not a trans builder but I do my own stuff. I was interested in it if it's something that I could just buy the pieces and install them . Been running Coan's best stuff (standard dia. input) and have had good luck with it. The car did go a 1.015 60" last year but I'm planning on stepping on it a little harder this season. With a supercharger or I'm going to step up the NOS on the launch. Just looking for options that I can do to make it better. Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts