Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My poweglide isn't shifting under load. I have a 565 nitrous motor. The transmission has a very lazy shift and gains rpm between shifts on motor pass. With nitrous on it doesn't shift till it hits the rev limiter. The 7531 shows it shifting when it's supposed to but it won't change gears. If i put it on stands and lower the shift point and run it up it shifts every time, put a load on it and forget jt. I have an electric solenoid on it to shift via the 7531 at 7200 rpm. It hit 7800 on the limiter. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Sounds like you need to remove the trans,replace direct clutch pack and investigate why it has failed.Has it always shifted incorrectly to high gear?If so you may need to raise line pressure or change the servo return spring.Letting the band cling to the drum a little longer during the shift can help get rid of the problem as well.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like you need to remove the trans,replace direct clutch pack and investigate why it has failed.Has it always shifted incorrectly to high gear?If so you may need to raise line pressure or change the servo return spring.Letting the band cling to the drum a little longer during the shift can help get rid of the problem as well.
It's always been an issue. I bought the car used and the motor blew after 8 passes and only 3 of those was with one of two kits. We thought it might have been the 7531 and the tune. It now haz a brand new RM motor in it and it's still having an issue.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Before you do anything check the shifter adjustment. Also check the "rooster comb" inside to make sure it's not cracked. If all is well there then check line pressure at the servo port; both in low and high gears while idling and holding the brake pedal down. Check it cold and warmed up as well.

·
Super Moderator
19,413 Posts
Yes , as mentioned. Do a pressure test before you remove the trans. Verify that your dipstick calibration is correct. Remove the vent line when checking the oil level in case the venting system is restrictive. Check pressure in low and high gear at idle and 2000 rpm.

Hutch

1 - 5 of 5 Posts