Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
car owner recently purchased a fresh all new PG (built about 5 years ago it sat as back up with a race team ), JW case,bell ,tail
10 stack drum , 1:80 ss, Kevlar regular band, Cast pro brake VB
New converter stall @6000 ,
installed in car and verified fluid level
heat cycled it and then readjusted band to JW specs 72 inch
3 and 3/34 turns out
took to the track and warmed it up and ran 1 burn out and 1 -- 1/8 mile pass
brought it back and checked everything , it pushed about a 1/4 cup of trans oil into the catch can , smelled like friction , trans was HOT

shut the car down and pulled trans
dissasembled it , BAND heat disatressed , black , but could still read most of the writing, drum blackened , but not scored on both outer band straps

car is a Berretta door slammer @ 2600 pounds driver in , BB chev , dynoed @ 950 HP, 32inch tires 4:30 gear

So my question is , is a Kevlar band needed with this combo or go back to a stock band?

the original glide i built for it , is all stock with a 6 stack , 1:76, runs 1:12 60 ft @ 8:07 et, have 50 runs on it , and not a problem

Input is appreciated
Thanks

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
I run a stock band in my stuff, was told to stay away from the kevlar stuff because they actually have less friction coefficient than a regular band... Don't think he needs a 10 clutch high drum either.....

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He was looking more for the super set toget away from the stock planetary, drum was what was in there as was all the rest of the good stuff. Package deal,

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hutch , can you advise me on this?

·
Registered
9,889 Posts
What pressure does it have in low gear???....... sounds like a pressure/leak issue as that Kevlar band is just fine,
I have used them in stuff with more weight and more power and no problems........

Not fond of them Cases either........ Reid is the absolute best out there and PROVEN....

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it has 240 psi

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I can tell you what I have been told my 2 different trans. builders that were very experienced. They told me to run the stock band.

·
Disconnected
3,444 Posts
Where do you even get an OEM lined band? I have only been able to get Red, Green and Kevlar lined bands for years.
The aftermarket lining company that lines the bands has an actual OE lining available. However, the ones being discussed in this thread are straight from the stock PG core. When you gut 100+ PG's at a time you're bound to salvage a few cherry bands.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Where do you even get an OEM lined band? I have only been able to get Red, Green and Kevlar lined bands for years.
The red material from my understanding is not a Kevlar material. Correct me if I'm wrong. Which is what I ended up buying last time.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
wasnt looking for magic material , just wanted to know if the Kevlar band was nessary or is ok to go with a non Kevlar band for this set up

·
Registered
478 Posts
Yes I would rather use a good OEM band.
I had been getting old stock until it run out.
Now I use carbon bands in my Powerglides that I build.
All other bands work good that are out there except the Red Band

Your low band should not have burned as you have said.
What V/Body is in the new Powerglide?

It dose not need a 10 clutch hi/gear
And does not need 240 psi line pressure
This can do more harm then good.

2,155 Posts
Yes I would rather use a good OEM band.
I had been getting old stock until it run out.
Now I use carbon bands in my Powerglides that I build.
All other bands work good that are out there except the Red Band

Your low band should not have burned as you have said.
What V/Body is in the new Powerglide?

It dose not need a 10 clutch hi/gear
And does not need 240 psi line pressure
This can do more harm then good.

So tell me why the "red band" isn't any good.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Yea.. the oe bands are somewhat obsolete/tough to find.
A decade ago Borg Warner made a batch of new Kevlar lined ones that were nice (good price too) ... I had good success/life with them.. but the inventory of them depleted years ago.
The new "green" lined bands are fair (guessing Alto makes these) they look nice/they are available and priced right.. but don't hold up well in some applications. I quit using them about as fast as they hit the market. High Carbon re lines are all that I buy, give me the best life/durability.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts