Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys

Has anyone used and/or have opinions on this pump? I have used their oil pumps before and had good luck but I'm interested if the vacuum pump section works well.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I like Peterson pumps and use them I just don't like this pump. I like to be able to adjust Oil and Vac. pressures and drive speeds separately. The couple I have used did'nt want to pull as high of Vac. as I wanted. This is the only down fall I see to this pump.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I used one on on a motor to save weight over having two pumps. It is a good oil pump but not a great vacuum pump. I had better succes with and external pump and a Star vac pump. I have yet to see a vac pump that can hold a candle to a Star.
Rhett Fulton
4556 b/ed

·
Registered
14,969 Posts
Used one on a turbo mustang, a handy setup for space problems but i was told to make an oil resevoir for the vac pump and feed it oil thru a #53 holley jet. I didn't much care for that. They may have improved them since then (2-3years ago). As far as vacuum goes i think it had plenty but i can't say for sure as i did the fabrication and wasn't the end user. I have a great deal of respect for anything peterson makes and they don't waste thier time making any junk.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
i have this pump on my car, having mixed results with it right now also

i thought it made decent vaccum, never logged it going through the traps but it pulls 10in at 3k rpms. oil pressure is really high when i first start the engine when it warms up it goes down alot. i have no idea why its done this since ive bought it and had no issue with the old melling pump. but as soon as it warms up its good to go.

it has been filling the vaccum canister with oil after every pass. but im pretty sure its because of where the vaccum ports are on the intake. probably gonna move them to the valve cover here in the next week or so.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the feedback. I thought it would make for a clean approach but from your feedback I will go with separate unites.

So I'm interested to hear what wet sump oil pumps (internal and external) you guys prefer for a decent high HP SBC?

·
Registered
110 Posts
In theory, trying to perform two different tasks (pumping oil and pumping air to make vacuum) with one component sounds like a good idea. However, the best engineered design for one task is usually not the best design for the other. There will be a compromise with one or the other. These combo pumps have gotten better in the last couple years but if you have a large CID engine, run alcohol or use a power adder that contributes significantly to blow-bye, you will probably be disappointed in the vacuum results. If, on the other hand your engine is a small N/A high RPM combination, this style pump may yield decent vacuum results provided the engine is well sealed. As 69chicken stated above, you will have control of the two components individually. Also consider how much crankshaft HP it takes to drive these units. The use of a 1" wide belt would not be necessary unless it was significant.
Using a component designed to do one task - and do it well - is superior.
Star Hg

·
Registered
839 Posts
i have this pump on my car, having mixed results with it right now also

i thought it made decent vaccum, never logged it going through the traps but it pulls 10in at 3k rpms. oil pressure is really high when i first start the engine when it warms up it goes down alot. i have no idea why its done this since ive bought it and had no issue with the old melling pump. but as soon as it warms up its good to go.

it has been filling the vaccum canister with oil after every pass. but im pretty sure its because of where the vaccum ports are on the intake. probably gonna move them to the valve cover here in the next week or so.
\
i experienced the same thing(not the filled canister part) with the oil pressure.

But it worked great for me. just one single gilmer belt. was able to run a super short mandrel off the balancer. It always pulled 14-15 coming through. I was going to get a regulator, but it never seemed to go past that. I had each vac line to the front of either valve cover.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I'm a big peterson fan, but I do not like that pump, and avoid it whenever possible.
why?
what do you think of the new rotor pumps? have you used/tested one of these?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have had good luck with the weaver brother external oil pump. I have made 300 passes on this pump and the oil pressure stay at 80 psi through the hole run. I am a big fan of this type of pump.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
If you have any questions or want any specifics on the new R4 Wetvac let me know. I'll keep an eye on this thread and try to respond as quickly as possible.

We never want to become complacent with our products and are always looking to make improvements. That's the whole reason we designed the new pump. Were working on figuring out a coating for the bodies and rotors that should increase rotor seal, increase vacuum, and decrease drag. We've tried about 4 different coatings and none of them yet have meet our requirements.

I've personally ran our R4 wet vac on the 555 in my nova for 2 years now, so I have a pretty solid handle on what's going on with it.

Like I said I'll keep an eye on this thread and help where I can.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
i fixed the issue with my pump, the bypass was stuck or something i took it all apart and cleaned it out and oil press is steady now even when cold. it used to go over 100psi when i started engine and then when it warmed up would go down. now its normal.

have a seperate vac pump on engine though, just seems to work a lil better than the peterson one

·
Super Moderator
35,256 Posts
If you have any questions or want any specifics on the new R4 Wetvac let me know. I'll keep an eye on this thread and try to respond as quickly as possible.

We never want to become complacent with our products and are always looking to make improvements. That's the whole reason we designed the new pump. Were working on figuring out a coating for the bodies and rotors that should increase rotor seal, increase vacuum, and decrease drag. We've tried about 4 different coatings and none of them yet have meet our requirements.

I've personally ran our R4 wet vac on the 555 in my nova for 2 years now, so I have a pretty solid handle on what's going on with it.

Like I said I'll keep an eye on this thread and help where I can.
How is the R4 design working out as a vacuum source? Its a different design than the old ones correct? What kind of vac are you achieving on the 555?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
How is the R4 design working out as a vacuum source? Its a different design than the old ones correct? What kind of vac are you achieving on the 555?
The new rotor design works quite a bit better than the old .875 wide g-rotors. Yes, the R4 uses four 2.4" twisted lobe rotors in the vacuum stages. On my 555 it will hit the regulator at 60 feet which is set at 14" and hold it throughout the pass. I know my motor has a vacuum leak some where I just can't really check it effectively in the car. Next time the motors out I need to pressure test it and see if I can't figure out where it's leaking. The biggest factor as you know to how much vacuum the pump will pull is how well the engine is sealed up.

·
Super Moderator
35,256 Posts
The new rotor design works quite a bit better than the old .875 wide g-rotors. Yes, the R4 uses four 2.4" twisted lobe rotors in the vacuum stages. On my 555 it will hit the regulator at 60 feet which is set at 14" and hold it throughout the pass. I know my motor has a vacuum leak some where I just can't really check it effectively in the car. Next time the motors out I need to pressure test it and see if I can't figure out where it's leaking. The biggest factor as you know to how much vacuum the pump will pull is how well the engine is sealed up.

That's great to hear.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts