Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Disconnected
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please post up pictures, comments, advise or experiences with 16-18' open car trailers.

I'm looking at a 16', open deck, Premier hauler for $2395. The problem is it's just okay. I can also get this killer Bri-Mar trailer with all the good options for $3k. I really don't have that much but I am loosing sleep over not getting it?

Any thoughts?

Anyone run a really low car (headers) on a close deck dovetail without issues?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
go ahead and get a 18ft. the 16 is a ok trailor but if you ever decide to ad a toolbox or put a 4 wheeler on the front you will not have the room on the 16ft. allso make sure you have a set of long then normal ramps. it will help out with a low car.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I have 2 and 1/2 inches of ground clearence on the closed deck and headers hit unless I put boards down.

I have had all 3, enclosed, open deck, and closed deck. Truthfully I want an enclosed again but 2nd choise is the open deck as it would allow you to work on the bottom of car if need be. You should be able to find better prices. Watch on craigslist as well

·
Registered
10,371 Posts
i ve had both open deck and closed deck
it all depend what your needs are
and what you can afford
closed well i used it for lots of othere stuff other then the car

open deck much lighter

i also want a enclosed 24 ft but for my money right now open trailers my way to go

its all about the cash

·
Registered
907 Posts
Before I bought my enclosed, I had an 18 ft open center floor with a 2x4 box on the front, the trailer was low. It was super easy to load, towed great, sometimes I still miss it. Just dont buy one with a wood floor. $3000 should get you one hell of a trailer. Dont rule out an old one either, mine was from the 70s, it was more heavy duty than most. Just put new paint on it.

·
Not a Hemi!
1,517 Posts
I had an open trailer for a long time. It was 18' with a dove tail. As low as my car is I was still able to drive on the trailer and open the doors. I had to jack the front of the trailer up a little to load and unload it. I jack the front up on my enclosed too.

·
Registered
20,374 Posts
Please post up pictures, comments, advise or experiences with 16-18' open car trailers.

I'm looking at a 16', open deck, Premier hauler for $2395. The problem is it's just okay. I can also get this killer Bri-Mar trailer with all the good options for $3k. I really don't have that much but I am loosing sleep over not getting it?

Any thoughts?

Anyone run a really low car (headers) on a close deck dovetail without issues?
Seems kinda pricey. Check these guys.
http://www.loudotrailers.com/

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I had a closed floor with a tilt bed...no ramps.....it was a great trailer. Good luck.

·
Disconnected
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I missed a nice deal on a Premier 16ft' open center for $1400. Thats what got me on the hunt for another. It is $2395 new from this place about 30 minutes from me. I don't want to spend a lot of money on something brand new and have to carry spare plywood so it doesn't hit. Plus I want something light and short for my small driveway/alleyway. Thats why I was thinking 16'

http://www.tptrailersinc.com/OpenCarHaulers/Premier.html

The Bri-mar is better because its...

-Powdercoated
-dual swingout fenders
-better axels
-two year double warranty instead of 1 year from premier
-better construction ( added crossmembers for more support)
-better construction ( 3 barred frame for toungue)
and more as well. Just a better trailer overall.

http://www.hechttrailers.com/ch16open

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
If you can swing it get an enclosed trailer, the best investment I ever made. Since your in Philly you may have an issue parking it but if possible do it now for a few dollars more. If you have to stay with an open trailer get one with room to expand, tools, Motor scooter etc.
Howard

·
Registered
983 Posts
I bought a 1978 EZ Tow tandem wheel 18ft trailer a few years ago for $1100 bucks. All steel, open center, good strong trailer but I have to put the rear wheels of the truck on car ramps so the headers clear while loading and unloading the car. A enclosed trailer would be nice but it's not in the budget.

·
Dinosaur Mechanic
1,615 Posts
I ran a 16' open before i bought my enclosed, and both of my cars hung off the back.
If somebody rearends you they hit the race car before the trailer, so I prefer a 18' for that reason alone.I pull a 67 mustang a 70 chevelle not big cars at all, plus if you want to add a toolbox or tow a pit vehicle you need the extra length.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I used an open trailer for years and it was ok. I like my enclosed better cause I can leave the car in it sort of a portable garage,plus you don't have to load and unload all your gear when your going racing, and you can get out of the sun between rounds. Mine has a curb door makes it really nice for loading and unloading the car. Just open you car door and it will swing to the outside of the trailer makes it easy to get in and out of the car.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts