Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
11,314 Posts
Hate too see it go away. have many of passes down it.

Reactions: Jp outlaw

·
Aviation Section
26,904 Posts
When I was with the FHP in 1986 I landed one of their 172 Cessna RG aircraft there. Been going there since 1977 when I moved to South Florida to work at Eastern. They showed the Drag Racers what they think of them when we lost the parking and the stands on the left side of the strip to expand the road course.

We all knew when that happened that we were in danger of loosing another track and here we are, the same thing happened to Miami-Hollywood back in 1989 and that was a much better venue then PBIR! Developers and their cash cannot be stopped! Dave

·
Registered
609 Posts
Hope it stays a track. I was at Detroit Dragway the last day they were open. Once they are gone they don't come back.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I migrated to Moroso/PBIR after Miami/Hollywood closed and have been racing there off and on since. This news sucks , but the rumor has been going around for several months. Honestly I can't see how that track could turn a profit, the prep is always questionable so fast cars would rather drive to OSW or Bradenton and they seemed to fire or force out all the old guys who gave a shit about running it. From what I hear the unnamed buyer is Amazon or Walmart looking to build a distribution center.

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
I had hoped to go there this year, maybe not. Glad I bought a house near Bradenton.

·
Shrewd Negotiator
11,021 Posts

Heres a link to a petition to save it.
That petition ain't gonna do shit. They, need to be showing up to city council meetings, etc...like we did when we defeated Walmarts plan to build a supercenter 1/2 mile away, from their current one. One the same fuckin street and right outside of an upper class neighborhood. It wasn't just the neighborhood who didn't want it. No one did. So, we pushed back and Walmart withdrew their project and won't be building here. There wasnt a single name on some bullshit petition because we actually did something about it and didn't just virtue signal by signing a bullshit petition that does nothing and makes you feel good axbout doing nothing.

This was in a city the same size as the one PBIR is located in. We have a population of somewhere between 60-70k, just like them. They need to get off their asses and do something instead of signing a bullshit petition.

·
Registered
18,533 Posts
That petition ain't gonna do shit. They, need to be showing up to city council meetings, etc...like we did when we defeated Walmarts plan to build a supercenter 1/2 mile away, from their current one. One the same fuckin street and right outside of an upper class neighborhood. It wasn't just the neighborhood who didn't want it. No one did. So, we pushed back and Walmart withdrew their project and won't be building here. There wasnt a single name on some bullshit petition because we actually did something about it and didn't just virtue signal by signing a bullshit petition that does nothing and makes you feel good axbout doing nothing.

This was in a city the same size as the one PBIR is located in. We have a population of somewhere between 60-70k, just like them. They need to get off their asses and do something instead of signing a bullshit petition.
PBIR is not located in a city. It's located in Palm Beach County that has a population of 1.5 million.

But please tell us more about the little village you made reference to and how smart you are. :unsure:

Reactions: raidmagic

·
Registered
34,659 Posts
I heard the distribution center deal is out (another rumor)but land prices are at a premium these days.
Never figured out how Moroso turned a profit lately, only time the stands were packed was for Donk racing. Yea I complain about the track but also realize lucky to have a facility within an hour drive. I remember when Miami/Hollywood closed, that hurt!
Only time will tell but I think this will be the last year for drag racing there :mad:

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
I go down there a lot during the winter and I’m always surprised how few cars are there. I asked a racer about a year ago if there were any rumors of it closing down. He looked at me like I had 3 heads and said no way. But if racers aren’t supporting it it’s kind of inevitable.

·
Registered
609 Posts
The price says it all. $55 million. You'd have to look far and wide to find a road race/drag race venue that can generate enough revenue to support a $55 million valuation.
55 million! That's a lot of cheddar. I think the Milan dragway price is around 3 mill and they are having a tough time getting that done. Tough putting butts in seats in this environment too. Maybe that's just the way it is. Pretty sad

·
Registered
159 Posts
I was there in June for the No Prep Kings event. Racers were complaining how small the pits were for the trailers. The whole place felt log jammed and not really able to host big events well.

I had last been there for a large Import event that also used the North side of the track for spectator parking, car show, and vendors. They don't seem to offer that anymore so everything is crammed on the Southside of the track. Didn't think I would go back again but now I guess that won't be an option anyhow.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
PBIR is a tangled web. It was purchased many years ago by an investment group and through the years it has had multiple "partners" bleed the money dry. IRG borrowed 35 mil from a NY investment house for expansion of the 4 tracks they own and PBIR. Mismanagement prevailed. Every clown they brought in to make IRG profitable took the big money salary and eventually failed and left when the well went dry. IRG is owned by a hong kong entity, registered in Delaware, the money was borrowed many years ago, and they want it back, and the only way to pay it back is sell off some property. IRG owns PBIR, Cordova, Memphis, Maryland (MIR) and IHRA.
It ( IRG) knows nothing about running race tracks, the same idiot that was there from years ago is still there as CEO (in name only) will not spend a dime to try to run one, will not hire a proper track manager and give them the resources (money) to properly run a racetrack. They continue to hire cheap idiots, and the result is still the same, it makes no money.
Imagine a Citrus Nationals with no show of any sort, yep it happened last year. How are you going to bring spectators out with no, Pro Mods, Jet cars, wheelstanders, Nostalgia funny cars, NOTHING.
Properly run it could make a profit. But that requires someone that has experience and money to do so.
Yes the layout sucks, but you can thank the first group that bought the place for that. Spending like a drunken sailor with no regard for layout. There is plenty of undeveloped property left for more pits and even on site buildings to house performance related companies.
The ownership put themselves in this situation by being stupid and cheap.

Send some respectful e-mails to the commissioners telling them why a warehouse complex is a bad idea, including an increase of street racing and deaths.

Maria Marino is of the opinion herself that the property is better of being an industrial complex.
[email protected]

The rest are non committal,
All are........ @pbcgov.org
DKerner
RRweinroth
Mmarino
Gweiss
Msachs
MmcKinley
Mbernard

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I migrated to Moroso/PBIR after Miami/Hollywood closed and have been racing there off and on since. This news sucks , but the rumor has been going around for several months. Honestly I can't see how that track could turn a profit, the prep is always questionable so fast cars would rather drive to OSW or Bradenton and they seemed to fire or force out all the old guys who gave a shit about running it. From what I hear the unnamed buyer is Amazon or Walmart looking to build a distribution center.
You sound like a test and tuner. You expect prep on a Friday night. Prep has always been good on race days for real race cars. And the other half is poor set up, easier to blame the track than fix the car.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts