Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, in a previous thread I asked how much hp was needed to run 5.25's in a 2600 pound door car, bracket racer. So, it looks like we will need about 900 to 950 hp, give or take. We have a 598 rotating assembly for a bbc. However, we have always been sbc people so we don't know much about bbc's. So, what parts, heads, cam, intake, carb, exhaust, compression ratio, would you guys use to make that hp with a 598 bbc?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
At that cubic inch it doesn't take much...i make 980+ with a 572(4.375x4.56) with pretty basic stuff...you could do it on pump gas

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
This car race only or other. 598 will easily get to 950HP depending on rpms, cam and heads. What do you want for top rpms? That will determine how to go after a cam and a set of heads and compression ratio.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
https://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showpost.php?p=70903441&postcount=12

Flotek 375 by chad speier. Just to give you a recent example. 900-950 is easy.

Straub/foxwell did a 572 that did 933 on pump gas....

Budget will dictate alot of what you do but theres millions of ways

Cpmotorworks posted a 598 with brodix 380 cnc heads, 1083 hp at 7300. 15:1 in c16, can tame that down some and meets your goals

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
We did a 580" single four SR20 deal that made 1080 on pump/110 mix, 12:5:1 set up for a LOT of nitrous. Probably a good 50hp on the table in n/a trim. Made 1003/800tq with no vac pump with our 24* cnc program on a 565, single four, 15:1. 351cc port with 2.375 valve, around 460cfm. That would make easy 900+ on your 598.

·
Registered
780 Posts
We did a 580" single four SR20 deal that made 1080 on pump/110 mix, 12:5:1 set up for a LOT of nitrous. Probably a good 50hp on the table in n/a trim. Made 1003/800tq with no vac pump with our 24* cnc program on a 565, single four, 15:1. 351cc port with 2.375 valve, around 460cfm. That would make easy 900+ on your 598.
Any track numbers from that 565?

·
Banned
1,167 Posts
you'd really have to work hard to get a 598 to only make 950HP and pay a premium to do it but you're well on your way in doing so by asking advice here of the internet forum experts and salesmen.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Ok guys, in a previous thread I asked how much hp was needed to run 5.25's in a 2600 pound door car, bracket racer. So, it looks like we will need about 900 to 950 hp, give or take. We have a 598 rotating assembly for a bbc. However, we have always been sbc people so we don't know much about bbc's. So, what parts, heads, cam, intake, carb, exhaust, compression ratio, would you guys use to make that hp with a 598 bbc?
Looks like this is pretty simple since REALLY you got the rotating assembly/shortbock.

Look at the link above that Orr89rocz posted about Chad and Floteks, HERE:

https://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showpost.php?p=70903441&postcount=12

OUT-OF-THE-BOX FLOTEK 375 heads and OUT-OF-THE-BOX Edelbrock 2897 intake, has cam specs/or get the cam Chad recommends for the heads.

"Here is what the 375 flowed on my bench. It made [email protected] and [email protected] on a 582. 14.3, 1350 carb, 274-286, .850/.810, OOB 2897. The heads were just lapped."

Best bang-for-the-buck right there, AND gives some room to rework heads and intake to make some more power. I could see that breaking 1000Hp with a bit of work to both heads and intake......

Best bet, TALK to Chad, get his advice. Maybe have a bit of work done and cammed a bit more aggressive???? But there is easily the potential to run very very well with the Flotek for not a lot less then comparable heads. And that's a plus with Chad behind them.

So there's a easy and inexpensive deal for you to get to your 950Hp. $2600 for heads, about 850 for intake.....................

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
If we're comparing flow numbers: This is our 355 VEPR in the Pro Maxx casting. Ports were developed for Troy LaCrone's Drag Week 582 last year but fit very well in the Pro Maxx casting. 2.375 x 1.85, 50*.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Can't really compare your worked over flow numbers to a set of $2,600.00 OUT OF THE BOX HEADS??? But since you brought them up, what's the price for these LeCrone/Promaxx set up heads??

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
Can't really compare your worked over flow numbers to a set of $2,600.00 OUT OF THE BOX HEADS??? But since you brought them up, what's the price for these LeCrone/Promaxx set up heads??
Why not compare? So the 375 CNC ported FloTek head isn't "worked over" but a set of our CNC ported Pro Maxx heads is? You're showing your bias. Retail is 3400.00 to the door. These aren't sitting on the shelf, they are hand built in the shop per order. And you're right...these heads really don't compare. The 375 FloTek doesn't even come close to this head. We also have options for coated Ti valves, alloy seats, Ti or tool steel retainers, any spring the customer needs for his application and can set up for marine, drag, off road, whatever. We also offer T&D rockers and will set up the geometry in the shop if the customer needs so yes, they're a little more money, but I think you get a whole lot more with the small added cost.

·
Registered
780 Posts
If we're comparing flow numbers: This is our 355 VEPR in the Pro Maxx casting. Ports were developed for Troy LaCrone's Drag Week 582 last year but fit very well in the Pro Maxx casting. 2.375 x 1.85, 50*.

How much bigger is that untouched part of the chamber (on the intake valve side) compared to the chamber you digitised? How much has that affected airflow?

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Why not compare? So the 375 CNC ported FloTek head isn't "worked over" but a set of our CNC ported Pro Maxx heads is? You're showing your bias. Retail is 3400.00 to the door. These aren't sitting on the shelf, they are hand built in the shop per order. And you're right...these heads really don't compare. The 375 FloTek doesn't even come close to this head. We also have options for coated Ti valves, alloy seats, Ti or tool steel retainers, any spring the customer needs for his application and can set up for marine, drag, off road, whatever. We also offer T&D rockers and will set up the geometry in the shop if the customer needs so yes, they're a little more money, but I think you get a whole lot more with the small added cost.
Scott not biased. Trying to compare apples to apples here. Those were FLOW TESTED OOTB heads that made 965. The thread is about how to get to 950 and those heads used tested flow numbers.

I'm quite sure Eric had a small head that he can open up and do that, I will guarantee Chad could with the FloTek 315 since it's the same casting. And Abbott would blow them all away with he RHS 320's and his TPS port. A comparing the OOTB head to one worked over buu someone isn't apples to apples, I don't think anyway.

Would it not been better to compare the OOTB Flotek 375 to the OOTB Promaxx SHOCKER 370? Floteck is about $2,600.00 I see online. Shocker is about $3,200.00. and YOURS is $3,400.00 you said, to your door? So shipping included I would guess???

Not trying to knock your stuff, but for that what about 35% more your about 5-6 CFM better thoughout. AGAIN not knock yours, just saying for a bargin OOTB heads either the Flotek or Shockers are a very respectable casting IT SEEMS.

And don't forget, that was with an OOTB intake. I'm just saying save some $$$ and use that to port the intake, get a better matching cam and maybe a vac pump. That same deal with push 1000Hp now, with budget stuff. :-Daw

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
Scott not biased. Trying to compare apples to apples here. Those were FLOW TESTED OOTB heads that made 965. The thread is about how to get to 950 and those heads used tested flow numbers.

I'm quite sure Eric had a small head that he can open up and do that, I will guarantee Chad could with the FloTek 315 since it's the same casting. And Abbott would blow them all away with he RHS 320's and his TPS port. A comparing the OOTB head to one worked over buu someone isn't apples to apples, I don't think anyway.

Would it not been better to compare the OOTB Flotek 375 to the OOTB Promaxx SHOCKER 370? Floteck is about $2,600.00 I see online. Shocker is about $3,200.00. and YOURS is $3,400.00 you said, to your door? So shipping included I would guess???

Not trying to knock your stuff, but for that what about 35% more your about 5-6 CFM better thoughout. AGAIN not knock yours, just saying for a bargin OOTB heads either the Flotek or Shockers are a very respectable casting IT SEEMS.

And don't forget, that was with an OOTB intake. I'm just saying save some $$$ and use that to port the intake, get a better matching cam and maybe a vac pump. That same deal with push 1000Hp now, with budget stuff. :-Daw
Of course you're biased against me and Chris and anything we do. You've even stated so before.

Answer my question; If I take a set of our heads off the cnc machine, do a valve job, assemble the heads and ship them, how is that any different than flotek doing (or buying) their cnc port, doing a valve job, assembling them and shipping them? How is our head "worked over" and theirs not? How is that not apples to apples? The above head is exactly that. ProMax casting, my valve job, off the CNC machine, no handwork or special attention other than a quick blend of the valve job. OUT OF THE BOX. Someone had to develop the port for the flotek somewhere along the way unless of course they just copied someone else's port. I know who does the promaxx ports and I know who does their cnc work. See what I mean about your bias? You don't make sense.

There's also a lot more than 5-6 cfm difference between heads, and you're forgetting that ours is 351cc vs 375 cc. Heck, there's [email protected], [email protected] and [email protected]!! :rolleyes: Smaller head, WAY more airflow, better velocity profile and I'd bet a lot more stable and better port all together, and with enough min. area to support 580ci at over 7000rpm. There really isn't a similar size port on the market in a 24* BB Chev casting that comes close. Anyone can hog out a head and get big flow numbers. That's not what these are. Are they worth the extra cost? That's going to be up to the customer.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Scott, anyone with half an idea can take an OOTB casting and tweek it better.? That's nothing new or special. So don't dislocate your arm patting yourself on the back.

When someone with TIME, CNC and an idea of what to do, take a program that been refined over 3 attempts over 3 years (remember I asked why you were using the "lesser" casting on Troys deal and refining it in another thread), shrinks the exh valve and opens up the intake valve, of course it's going to be somewhat better. THAT'S why I said a "general purpose, massed produced CNC OOTB casting" is not the same as a casting CNC worked over with hours of refinements.

No to support this, just look at the CNC SR 20 heads. Many shops are getting more out of them then Brodix CNC does, YOU INCLUDED. So your saying there should be no difference in Darin Morgan or "SLICK" Rick personally preped SR 20's to the CNC versions OOTB from Brodix?

There I feel that answered your question with a supporting example. Thank you.

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
Scott, anyone with half an idea can take an OOTB casting and tweek it better.? That's nothing new or special. So don't dislocate your arm patting yourself on the back.

When someone with TIME, CNC and an idea of what to do, take a program that been refined over 3 attempts over 3 years (remember I asked why you were using the "lesser" casting on Troys deal and refining it in another thread), shrinks the exh valve and opens up the intake valve, of course it's going to be somewhat better. THAT'S why I said a "general purpose, massed produced CNC OOTB casting" is not the same as a casting CNC worked over with hours of refinements.

No to support this, just look at the CNC SR 20 heads. Many shops are getting more out of them then Brodix CNC does, YOU INCLUDED. So your saying there should be no difference in Darin Morgan or "SLICK" Rick personally preped SR 20's to the CNC versions OOTB from Brodix?

There I feel that answered your question with a supporting example. Thank you.
How do you know how much development time was put into the flotek 375? How many iterations of that port were there? How about any of the other "out of the box" heads? AFR? Brodix or even the Pro Maxx?
Out of the box, means out of the box. That's the end product. That's what the customer gets, no matter how you want to twist it but to your point, YES, there is a difference. That's why we charge more for our head. Jeez... seriously???:rolleyes:

·
Registered
780 Posts
This car race only or other. 598 will easily get to 950HP depending on rpms, cam and heads. What do you want for top rpms? That will determine how to go after a cam and a set of heads and compression ratio.
These are pretty good questions to start with.

OP?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts