Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
If you're talking about mounting, they need to be mounted upwards and high enough to be in the air stream when they deploy or they won't....as to the anchor point, not much option there, but lower on the frame I think would be best.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Saw something once that said the height of the camshaft is the center of the chute. Not sure how true that is.

·
Drag Week Survivor
14,352 Posts
My chute on a 67 Chevelle is at the bottom of my bumper. The catch off for the chute lanyard is 14" off the ground. I've never had an issue with the chute doing it's job. Probably pulled the chute 300+ times in the last 8 years.

Video of chute being deployed:

·
I kill parts
9,832 Posts
General rule of thumb is center of gravity/camshaft height.

I wouldn't want to risk it being too low and causing the rear tires to unload when it hits.

Wouldnt the actual mounting points of the receiver hitch on the frame be taken in consideration ?
No. If you welded a piece of box tubing vertical up the bumper the height of where it's welded wouldn't matter in relation to the pull-point height. - The pull would still be centered to the restraint mount height.

·
Registered
65,841 Posts
General rule of thumb is center of gravity/camshaft height.

I wouldn't want to risk it being too low and causing the rear tires to unload when it hits.

No. If you welded a piece of box tubing vertical up the bumper the height of where it's welded wouldn't matter in relation to the pull-point height. - The pull would still be centered to the restraint mount height.
X2 ^^^^^

·
Registered
65,841 Posts
So the mounting point of the bracket can be low , as long as the point where the chute mounts is up in the camshaft area ?
Where the parachute's lanyards attach to the chassis, should be close to the height of the camshaft, so the rear of vehicle is not 'raised' when the chute reaches full blossom.

Where the parachute "pack" is located matters as well. It can't be mounted too low as it's unlikely that the chute will be exposed to the air stream it needs to blossom.

Have you looked into the 'spring launcher' chutes?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts