Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the fenders and hood are fiberglass, and as you can see they are different shades of black after primer. will I have the same problem with paint?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sprayed the whole car at the same time, but if you say it won't matter I'll not worry about it. I know just enough about paint and body work to get myself on trouble and thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
12,568 Posts
He's right you shouldn't have a problem. There are still techniques in painting like fogging the base on last coat to make sure color is uniform with pearls etc.. I always use 3-5 coats filler primer on my paint jobs why i don't get the shade difference. If you can keep texture to a minimum seal off car with reduced epoxy just before you spray the base.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it does have PPG primer/sealer on it but the more I look it over the more flaws I find. I know it will never be show quality but I do want it to look nice. the glass parts didn't smell like resin.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
finishing the body and paint is still a good ways off, there's other stuff to be done first. I just thought I'd ask y'all if it'd be alright. I don't trust our local "expert" that much after seeing his "custom" jobs.

·
Registered
12,568 Posts
The only way you are going to get that perfect job is use filler primer and block the car to remove all the waves/imperfections. I never spray a car unless it has been wet sanded 600-800 minimum or you will just end up using more paint to fill in sand scratches. You can buy spray poly to save money but it's hard to sand. I use K38 filler primer blocking first few coats with 180 then i spray some more and block 320. If i paint right over filler i wet sand it 600.. Alot of times i will reduce expoxy as a sealer using shopline it's cheap and works. Just be careful when using k36 or 38 it can bridge at the corners of a panel if you don't let it flash properly between coats. As for shine you will get the best look using ppg 2021 or 2002... I use 3 coats and will sometimes cut the car and put even more clear on. It's alot of work but there is only one right way to do all this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts