Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I run a motorcycle dealership in East TN. We apparently have really pissed off a customer. You be the judge.

Several weeks ago; we had a customer from out of town that was having some clutch issues. His bike has a hydraulic clutch. He requested that we bleed the system (which we did) he then paid his bill and left. This appeared to fix the problem.

He returned several days later with the same issues. One of two problems could be the culprit. The Master or the Slave cylinder have failed. Typically when a slave fails there is fluid loss and in this case there was none. Which is a moot point; we didn't have one in stock; it's to late in the day to have it overnighted and the customer doesn't want to wait.

So we rebuild his Master cylinder for him; found a broken o-ring and figured that would fix it. Guy pays the bill for the rebuild kit and labor ($265) and leaves for home in Maryland.

About 5 hours and 250 miles later; guy calls from the side of the interstate screaming that his clutch failed again 20 minutes after he left our dealership. Guess what? He wants a refund; I told him no that we will stand behind our work and he should have brought it back to us when it failed; he states: "I gotta get home".

Fast forward a couple of weeks. He contests' the charges on his credit card; calls the manufacture with his version of events; calls the dealership weekly with a profanity laced diatribe wanting a refund and has threatened to "make our lives hell". He also sends us a slave cylinder as to prove we screwed up with fixing his bike.

Well he called again yesterday and we had to endure another one of his diatribes. His last words to me were: "Go to hell!" right before he told us to send the old slave cylinder back him; which we did, COD of course. :)

I would been more then happy to work something out with the guy had he not been such a belligerent idiot.

Here he is bitching about his experience with us.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=574340

·
Registered
15,534 Posts
I might not have read this right, but it sounds like he brought his bike in and you all apparently misdiagnosed the problem twice and the second time around cost him $265 and he didn't make it home from your shop after paying you to fix it. Like I said, I may be missing something here.

Don't get me wrong, I know that sometimes these things happen. I personally try to always be more patient than he seems to have been. I agree the customer calling and screaming and cursing you does not make you very sypathetic to his problem. lol. I deal with assholes like this all the time. I can see why he is frustrated though, he just wants his bike fixed and has tried twice to fix it and it still failed and it cost him money and left him stranded. I see fault on both sides, unless I'm missing something in your post.

·
I forgot what to do next!
6,090 Posts
Tell him to kiss your ass sounds like he was an impatient ass

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I might not have read this right, but it sounds like he brought his bike in and you all apparently misdiagnosed the problem twice and the second time around cost him $265 and he didn't make it home from your shop after paying you to fix it. Like I said, I may be missing something here.

Don't get me wrong, I know that sometimes these things happen. I personally try to always be more patient than he seems to have been. I agree the customer calling and screaming and cursing you does not make you very sypathetic to his problem. lol. I deal with assholes like this all the time. I can see why he is frustrated though, he just wants his bike fixed and has tried twice to fix it and it still failed and it cost him money and left him stranded. I see fault on both sides, unless I'm missing something in your post.
You are correct on some of it. The slave cylinder was bad; I'm not going to argue that, but we didn't have one in stock and he was not willing to wait for one.

The master cylinder was also bad though; in which we rebuilt. Also, the first time he came in; all he wanted us to do was bleed the system, nothing more.

·
Un-Official YB Tormentor
5,087 Posts
You will always endure this when the customer diagnoses the problem. IMO, you should insist on doing the diagnostic. If hes right, do it for free. If hes wrong, charge him. I do it with snowmobile work. Makes long term customers. And no irate ones.

·
Registered
15,534 Posts
You are correct on some of it. The slave cylinder was bad; I'm not going to argue that, but we didn't have one in stock and he was not willing to wait for one.

The master cylinder was also bad though; in which we rebuilt. Also, the first time he came in; all he wanted us to do was bleed the system, nothing more.
Ok, I see now. I wanted to give you the benefit of a doubt, I thought maybe I misunderstood the first post. Had he been more patient, this would not have happened. Unfortunately some folks act like everyone is out to fuck them, either that or they think they can get something for nothing if they yell loud enough. I hate dealing with the public.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I see now. I wanted to give you the benefit of a doubt, I thought maybe I misunderstood the first post. Had he been more patient, this would not have happened. Unfortunately some folks act like everyone is out to fuck them, either that or they think they can get something for nothing if they yell loud enough. I hate dealing with the public.

I really hate that mindset. They only do it because it has worked for them in the past.

Scream and curse me and you won't get anywhere.

·
Senior Frog
10,315 Posts
Your attitude is all wrong......."Pain in the ass customer" common,Id say you guys did not do the job correctly

Well not all customers are in and out easy jobs , some are more challenging,when you make a repair and send the guy
down the road and he ends up stuck on the side of the road with the same problem I bet youd be pissed too....

·
Photoshop Pisser Offer
3,461 Posts
In my experience in the automotive field, if a customer asks us to perform a task in which they have formed their own opinion or diagnosis, we used to clearly mark the invoice and have them initial it. Now if they came to us and asked us to diagnose the problem, estimate the repair and they approved the cost & repair procedure then it's a different picture.

Having said that. $265 to rebuild a teeny tiny m/c for a motorcycle is ridiculous! It's got what a 25mm bore, a kit costs a $15 bucks and if your guys can't do that in an hour (unless you guys get $200 per shop hour) there is something wrong! So as a customer I'd be pissed to a degree, but I'd also have to admit that the self diagnosis was wrong and I'd need to accept that cost & time.

·
Registered
394 Posts
99.9% of the time , if you do exactly the work the customer wants without diagnosing the problem or try to save the cust some money and do it cheap , your the one that gets screwed !!

·
Photoshop Pisser Offer
3,461 Posts
99.9% of the time , if you do exactly the work the customer wants without diagnosing the problem or try to save the cust some money and do it cheap , your the one that gets screwed !!
Unless you -
In my experience in the automotive field, if a customer asks us to perform a task in which they have formed their own opinion or diagnosis, we used to clearly mark the invoice and have them initial it.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
A bad master cylinder - AND a bad slave on the same bike - seems like pretty wild odds on that one - Id be upset to - sounds like a bad diognosis - and some one is covering there ass --

·
Registered
56,906 Posts
It's hind sight now, but after bleeding the system and him coming back, I would have asked him what he thinks we should do. If he says I'm not sure, then you can recommend a re-build of the clyn. and put it in his court. If he backs out, re-bleed the system and send him on his way. I've seen it many times, the old " I brought it in for a rotate and balance and now I have a knock in my motor " Refund his money and alert other dealers of him.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Phuck that the guy is a moron but Id sent $ back and be done with the BS. When you refund tell the dope if he makes threats again you will press charges.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
If the slave cylinder was by your own admission "bad" and he didn't want to wait for another one to come in, I would have sent his ass packin'. I would have never touched his bike. The fact that he didn't want to wait should have told you about his attitude.

Unfortunately, you guys saw an opportunity to make some cash and you rolled the dice. Well guess what, you rolled snake eyes. Now the guy will go all over the world, bad mouthing your shop and costing you clients. Hope that $225 was worth it.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts