Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Overall Towing Length

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  ponjohn 
#1 ·
I see most states are limited to 60 or 65 feet when towing with an RV.

Do most people ignore this when towing with a 30-35' pusher and a >28' trailer and then possible a toad?

If you followed the law to a T you'd be limited to a 30 RV and 26 ft enclosed + 4 feet for the tongue.

#5 ·
I have a Super C and 28FT ATC trailer- 69 feet total length. I have only been stopped once in VA but did not receive a ticket he did tell me I was over length but only looked at the rig and trailer lights and let me roll on. As long as you are not all lettered up I think most don't pay attention.

#6 ·
Most cops would never hassle anyone that was towing in a non-commercial capacity. What would really get someone is if they were involved in an accident that hurt someone and it was found the over length vehicle was at fault but again that's probably going to be extremely rare. Most people who own a rig/set-up like that more than likely don't drive like an idiot....lol.

A CDL is not needed in most states to drive this set-up. In TX there are CDL and non-commercial license classes for larger vehicles that is basically the exact same requirements as a CDL without the medical stuff. Long ago I had a Class B CDL (TX) and when the medical requirements were required I never followed through and now I just have a Class B license. It means I can drive my RV which requires a Class B license however I can not drive anything that requires a Class B license commercially. Makes perfect sense right???....lol.

#7 ·
Most cops do not have a clue because there’s a lot of gray areas. But if you run across a DOT cop he is usually up on the law. Now if it’s an RV you’re allowed 65 foot in most states if it’s commercial you’re allowed 75 foot in most states and if it’s commercial you can get a permit for over length. But when it comes to an RV you cannot get a permit. I’ve been running a trucking business for 20 years so I try to stay up on the DOT laws. Now my toter home and trailer is 81 foot registered as an RV and in the last six years I’ve been pulled over two times The first time they gave me a warning the second time was in Georgia and that was a $270 fine. So knock on wood you don’t run into an officer that knows the DOT laws and wants to take the time to give you a fine.

#10 ·
Im at 74' w/ my rv & trailer. It is an issue finding safe places to stop for the night & sleep when traveling. Parking spots at truck stops & rest areas are not always long enough & part of my rig hang out past the other trucks parked. Truckers don't give a shit they will hit your stuff & drive off...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.