Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAVE A 6.0 DIESEL WITH STUDED HEADS AND EGR BLOCK OFF AND OIL COOLER. WHEN YOU STEP ON IT IT GOES QUICK TO 30 TO 35 PSI AND I LET OFF. I HEAR A SOUND FROM THE TURBO AFTER LETTING OFF. NOT SURE WHAT THAT IS,BUT I HAV E HEARD IT ON DRAG TURBO CARS WHEN THEY LET OFF.I USE THE SCT PROGRAMMER. I USE THERE BASIC PROGRAM.

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
Sounds like you're experiencing compressor surge, pretty normal on these trucks.

^^^^This^^^^^

All of the 6.0's I have ever been in did it. Even bone stock with no mods.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Its reversion in the intake tract. The air has no place to go so it hits the compressor wheel and "barks". This sound is produced when the turbo wheel is deccelerated suddenly. Alot of stock diesels experience this.

An adjustment to your driving will make it stop. Use WOT less often and roll off the throttle pedal instead of lifting quickly. If you roll off the throttle and allow the boost to go down prior to lifting completely off the throttle it gives the turbo a chance to slow down which reduces the "barking".

·
Registered
729 Posts
Pull the turbo off and clean the veins.. Your about 10 psi over most 6.0 with tuner 25-26psi. There also a oil fed solenoid that moves the veins from closed (spool up) to open. Sounds like your turbo veins are staying closed causing the over boost which will blow you intercooler tanks off and kill the exhaust wheel over time.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Pull the turbo off and clean the veins.. Your about 10 psi over most 6.0 with tuner 25-26psi. There also a oil fed solenoid that moves the veins from closed (spool up) to open. Sounds like your turbo veins are staying closed causing the over boost which will blow you intercooler tanks off and kill the exhaust wheel over time.
This, if the center part of the turbo has alot of porous looking places and the ring does not turn freely after cleaning you may need to replace the center section of turbo. I've replaced 2 this week. Most of the time you can clean them though.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Deffently barking the turbo. Very common for powerstrokes. Their are many companies that sell a compresser wheel to elimante the bark. I wouldnt worrie yourself about the over boosted aspect. You have studs they should hold well over 40lbs.
jon

·
Registered
272 Posts
Not with a stock intercooler the ends will blow off.
Long as its not plastic intercooler tanks like dodge tried to use in 2005 they should be fine at 35lbs. Not saying hit it with some massive injectors and hope it holds but a mild programer should be alright.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.