Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
JACKASS
5,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to degrease the bottom of a truck that I need to do some work on.
I have used Dollar General brand oven cleaner in the past with great results.
Does anyone know if oven cleaner harms plastic?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I also use it to strip paint and chrome on plastic model kits. I use it in a cheap plastic food container too.

I use Easy-Off brand heavy duty shit. Non of that low odor/fume free crap for me.

It'll be fine.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I'm in the plastic biz. If you are degreasing Polypro or HDPE you should be okay. Both are impervious to most chemicals. If it is ABS you should maybe use Simple Green full strength. I degreased an engine with it and worked fine, now I use it for all my degreasing jobs.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
I need to degrease the bottom of a truck that I need to do some work on.
I have used Dollar General brand oven cleaner in the past with great results.
Does anyone know if oven cleaner harms plastic?
Just a heads up on oven cleaners. Many of the cheap cleaners react badly with aluminum. I had to send a worker to the hospital for burns on his arms. The cleaning chemical on aluminum changes to another chemical that's caustic. Gets on skin, burns and permanent scarring. Nasty stuff, I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it.

·
JACKASS
5,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was worried about the slave cylinder, and line going to it, both plastic.
After I read about people putting it in Tupperware, I got less worried.
I stopped at Dollar General and bought their house brand, yellow can for $2.49, worked awesome.
Followed that up with a second wash with Purple Power, got it as clean as its going to get.

·
Trolling the Trolls
15,137 Posts
Just a heads up on oven cleaners. Many of the cheap cleaners react badly with aluminum. I had to send a worker to the hospital for burns on his arms. The cleaning chemical on aluminum changes to another chemical that's caustic. Gets on skin, burns and permanent scarring. Nasty stuff, I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it.
Might wanna read the label first. Sodium Hydroxide, aka lye. Purple Power cleaner as well as oven cleaner are made with lye. Same thing as Drano.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts