Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 862 Posts

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Already went through the newbie thread.
Started this build a couple months ago:
I picked an pretty solid but filthy 85 fox hatch GT out of the West Virginia weeds for a heck of a good price. I'm in the process of rewiring it now just to get the lights all working again then i will install some new carpet etc. (the old stuff had snake skins and critter poop everywhere) some used seats will finish off the interior hopefully as cheap as possible.
car came with some really good parts some of which i won't need so i'll be hitting MIR's swap meet this fall to unload the stuff that i can't use.
engine plans:
junkyard coyote truck engine with a couple old turbos (i have one here now) and a used glide/turbo will do.
I want to run high 8's as cheap as possible but still be able to kind of drive it on the street or at least run something like true street.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For you guys already running fox body cars...how much is your car w/o driver and with what engine trans combo, full interior etc.?
I'm trying to get a close estimate where I should weigh in when complete. It will determine how much power I need to make to get where I want to be.
More info about my car:
My interior is totally stripped but I am going to have a dash shell, carpet and two race seats. The bumper crash bars will be removed and I've already scrapped the sound deadening material off the floorboard and tunnel.
I have AJE moly k-member a-arms and coil overs in the front with baselines Pro launch 2 rear suspension.
Convo pro wheels skinny front and 15x8.5 rear and will swap the 28x10.5 rear tires for a set of M/T 275 radials.
I'm sure someone out there has a one very similar. I figure 2700lbs w/o me max. Which means I need about 900hp at the crank to run 8.90

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I'm trying to clean up under the hood and realize this thing has about 5 coats of paint. I've used the paint stripper twice and this is as far as it's gottten me....if I was into snow camo this is the look I'd want...I guess....otherwise it's a
PITA.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Put some clear on it and leave it. Remember its outlaw pos.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's making me freakin dizzy already....
This car came with strange 4 lug (5/8 studs) 33 spline axles and convo pros...was getting ready to swap it over to 5 lug then I acquire (tonight) a brand new set of aerospace 4 lug rear drag brakes off craig's list for $350 including a new wilwood master cylinder and install kit ...guess my mind is made up. now all I need a a set of front 4 lug drag brakes cheap. 4 lug 4 eye 4 ever well until I can't take the convo's anymore and belly up for the dark stars.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found one with 6k miles for $3000 and one with 40k miles for $2600 so the price is coming way down on them but I just need a bit more cash. hoping to have an engine sitting here by December.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
been working on stuff....had 5-6 layers of paint in the engine bay but it's all stripped and primed now. really looks better. I'll paint it once i fix a little rust in the lower rail.
Also got a new front valence from Hybrid Composites...My lower stock cover is broke and the fog lights are gone, brackets are bent etc. so this will cover all that up and i can lose that extra weight. it should help with some room for the turbo and IC as well.
saving for the engine still...i gotta stop buying all this little stuff but when i get a deal I just don't want to pass it up.

·
its blingtiffic™
9,829 Posts
The Yote is a fantastic platform. We are starting on a build for my daughter with a Fox body and a Yote and a 4L80e. Look forward to updates.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looking good! Nice to see your not going the ls route, so sick of seeing that.
YB Nats was sickening to Blue Oval guys. all those great Fords ruined by Obama Brand engines. Imagine how fast they would be with some Tax-Free Henry power under the hood.
thinking of doing a mechanical fuel injection so i can ditch the EFI limitations. Just gotta find out if i can run a belt drive distributor off the crank or if the MSD Mod6 will work on a coyote. don't know if the trigger wheel is the same tooth count. I know the firing order is different but thats an easy fix.

·
Registered
105 Posts
been working on stuff....had 5-6 layers of paint in the engine bay but it's all stripped and primed now. really looks better. I'll paint it once i fix a little rust in the lower rail.
Also got a new front valence from Hybrid Composites...My lower stock cover is broke and the fog lights are gone, brackets are bent etc. so this will cover all that up and i can lose that extra weight. it should help with some room for the turbo and IC as well.
saving for the engine still...i gotta stop buying all this little stuff but when i get a deal I just don't want to pass it up.

Like the lower valance you have..do you have a number or website to the company? If so could you post it..i have a 83 gt that I'm working on...

·
Registered
223 Posts
My dad has an 84 tbird and the engine compartment is almost identical to yours from the factory...he took the time to weld in all the unused holes then did a black base coat/clear coat inside...well worth the time and effort... Yours looks great, just me 2c...I will post a pic soon

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I would like to see those pics I have the same car. Heard there are panel kits now that save some time and welding. Anyone have info.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know that car..Im glad to see someone doing something with it. Goodluck on the build
I think I rescued it just in time. Aggressive Andy had let it sit for a bit too long...the interior was toxic with critter poop and snake skins. Had to rewire it also but at least it had a nice painless street rod box and harness.
Friend of a friend has a 408 Windsor for sale...if it's really cheap I may have to go that route...don't want to... but money talks.
As far as those holes in the engine bay go Im not building a show car. It's basically a race car with tags. This is just a cheap play toy not an all out assault on a particular class. Think of those as lightening holes :)

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Well, which one are you going to run. Procharger or turbo. Do the procharger coyotes like them.:grin:

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, which one are you going to run. Procharger or turbo. Do the procharger coyotes like them.:grin:
I don't know if the one I found will make the power I need. P1SC may not make 800hp at the crank. Probably easier to stick with a BW s475 or s480 and be done with it.

1 - 20 of 862 Posts