Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
The Cummins was smokin like a train and the Duramax hardly had any smoke once they left the line.

·
I feared for my life!!!
14,663 Posts
Where are the Fords???? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
363 Posts
The Cummins was smokin like a train and the Duramax hardly had any smoke once they left the line.

Less smoke means its tuned better, excess smoke means excess unburned fuel. Nothing against Cummins, they just can't be fine tuned like a GM with EFI live ;)

Nice run.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I don't know, I watched a twin turbo (first turbo feeding the second) Cummins in a dragster run a 6.60 in the quarter mile a few weeks ago. Freaky, quiet and fast!

·
Registered
975 Posts
Less smoke means its tuned better, excess smoke means excess unburned fuel. Nothing against Cummins, they just can't be fine tuned like a GM with EFI live ;)

Nice run.

so a shitty tuned 6 cylinder cummins just outran a finely tuned v8 duramax? Thats what im reading! As bad as you harp on people about swinging on cummins nuts, you sure dangle from them duramax balls pretty hard.

·
Registered
363 Posts
so a shitty tuned 6 cylinder cummins just outran a finely tuned v8 duramax? Thats what im reading! As bad as you harp on people about swinging on cummins nuts, you sure dangle from them duramax balls pretty hard.
I never said shitty tuned, just not as fine tuned. Anyone with diesel knowledge will tell you that. And actually the Dmax outran the Dodge, the Dodge just got him on the launch is why he won.

Oh yeah and I have a Cummins too, ace ;)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Those trucks are as close as it gets. If anyone starts bashing one or the other, well thats just plain retarded IMHO.

·
Registered
998 Posts

Nice run.

Right I thought it was amazing how well the DMax was running tune wise. It's only smoke was during staging while the turbo was probably spooling up.

What are the common DMax issues besides injectors and sometimes the dash cluster?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Right I thought it was amazing how well the DMax was running tune wise. It's only smoke was during staging while the turbo was probably spooling up.

What are the common DMax issues besides injectors and sometimes the dash cluster?

Injectors are only an issue in the first gen motors (LB7's) similar to Cummins injector problems in the early common rails. And its typically time/milage, not premature failure or inability to keep up. Infact Dmax injectors flow the most fuel. Many higher HP Dmaxes are running stock injectors, and those that decide to step it up a notch usually only swap the tips.

Aside from that there's really nothing. As for the clusters, 03-04's were the most common and it was all GM trucks, not just Dmaxes. Minor issue, mainly the stepper motor in the speedo.

And sorry, I wasn't questioning you, its just that usually everyone thinks smoke means power ;)

·
Registered
998 Posts
And sorry, I wasn't questioning you, its just that usually everyone thinks smoke means power ;)

No problem. I learned that smoke = unburnt fuel usually. I drive mine around where I don't see much since lots of smoke is just wasting fuel.

·
Smoked another CTD
3,951 Posts

Nice run.
You have alot to learn grasshopper.

First off. EFI Live has nothing to do with that either of those trucks. The Chevy is tuned by Steve Cole at TTS power systems. He has doing it longer then EFI Live. Steve is far from one of my favorite people but he know how to make LB7 Dmaxs scream.

I never said shitty tuned, just not as fine tuned. Anyone with diesel knowledge will tell you that. And actually the Dmax outran the Dodge, the Dodge just got him on the launch is why he won.

Oh yeah and I have a Cummins too, ace :wink:
Second The smoke thing. Your reading to many Banks adds. The low smoke means simply that he is using a higher percentage of his fuel. To get to run that clean you AFR is going to be 18.5:1 or higher. That is not where peak power is made. When you tune on the dyno and tune for max power assuming that you simply do not run out of fuel volume you find that makes power happens at a AFR lower than what I mentioned above. It will be smokey. That is because your making use of all the meaningful O2. They can tune the Cumins to smoke less if they wanted but the dont because max power is what they want.

Those trucks both have twins.
The Chevy does. Last I got a look at that Dodge it was a big single with lots of nitrous oxide. Things could have changed since last time I layed eyes on it.

And sorry, I wasn't questioning you, its just that usually everyone thinks smoke means power :wink:
I does not, but it does. It can simply mean your getting all the power out the air you have. No smoke means your getting all the power out of the fuel you have. Just depends on what your limitation is fuel or air.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I was speaking generally. I know who Steve Cole is and have for years (I've actually done business with them), although I don't know the truck in question. I've been over on the DP for a loooonnnng time and still learn every day, 4k posts later. All of what you said makes plenty of sense, I just didn't think it was necessary to go that much into detail over someone thinking the Dodge was better b/c it smoked more (which turned out to not even be the case). I simply meant that big smoke does not mean big power. I've blown doors off of plenty of smokey trucks while mine lets off a light haze. I've had smokers too for the wow factor, but that's all it is messing around on the street. You are obviously a bit more educated on the topic, but that doesn't make me a complete dumbass.............. ;)

·
Smoked another CTD
3,951 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts

Nice run.
Interesting. :smt044

Good tight race though!

·
Smoked another CTD
3,951 Posts
I was speaking generally. I know who Steve Cole is and have for years (I've actually done business with them), although I don't know the truck in question. I've been over on the DP for a loooonnnng time and still learn every day, 4k posts later. All of what you said makes plenty of sense, I just didn't think it was necessary to go that much into detail over someone thinking the Dodge was better b/c it smoked more (which turned out to not even be the case). I simply meant that big smoke does not mean big power. I've blown doors off of plenty of smokey trucks while mine lets off a light haze. I've had smokers too for the wow factor, but that's all it is messing around on the street. You are obviously a bit more educated on the topic, but that doesn't make me a complete dumbass.............. ;)
Speaking in genral? This thread is about two bad ass full bodied diesel trucks running side by side 6.0 passes in the final round. Nothing general about that!:supz: You have been on DP and have 4000 plus posts? OK why should I care? Post count and website membership does not give you credit.

I never said you where a dumbass. Nor will I. What bothered me is your posts are deceiving. EFI Live has nothing to do with that Chevy. And the smoke thing is a twisted half truth. I dont like that your down playing the fact that Team TS won because it smoked. Who cares I sure don't. I refuse to down play the efforts of others to further ones cause. What those two trucks did is nothing short of stellar.

Now on to the EFI Live thing. I really like it and have been using for a long time. I do a fair bit of travel working on other peoples competition Dmaxs and my very own. But it is not the end all. It is very good tool, but it takes skill to use correctly . The way you post about it makes people think it is just like a plug and play down load or Edge box. It is nothing of the short. It is more like Fast XFI, Big Stuff3 or Motec software. Just a tool that takes a skilled and knowledgeable tuner to use. Lately I have dealt with a rash of people that have bought EFI Live but don't know how to use it and are unrealistic about what can be done with it. I spend hours on the phone or in person tiring to straighten out a mess that should have never been. Most people (atleast 98% IMHO) are better served with handheld down loader.

But than again my post count is low so what the heck do I know?

Back to topic

Congrats to both Buck and Jess, and Team TS!:Kneel

1 - 20 of 23 Posts