Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Outer Limits

5K views 54 replies 20 participants last post by  DualQuadDave 
#1 · (Edited)
This is a just a "what if" theoretical post, but I am giving it more and more thought. I really want to build a NA BBC to run down a lot of the boosted kids. These days, that's a serious machine, as 1000+whp is no big deal from a 5.3 with a ching-chong turbo. Basic parameters would be std deck, Dart alum block, heads(?) and definitely fuel injected and pump gas/E85. This would be in a 'street car', small tire/DR, mostly roll races, but I like going heads up- so maybe a chassis car. How far can I go? 1000whp, 1200whp? I realize at roughly 600ci, I would be 2+hp per cube, so that's probably not possible on pump. I do think I can get the weight down, obviously, this turns into a hp per lbs calculation= x speed. For sake of argument, figure a 2700-2800lbs vehicle, just for calculations. Just some thoughts, let me know what you think. My gut feeling is big bore- short stroke, 8000rpm in the build. I am just curious how far I can go or how far anyone else has gone. FYI, I already know everybody w/ boost will be laughing and crying "no way", but I like to beat up people bigger than me. So far, I have had good luck.

#7 ·
How would using 600 Inches to beat a 5.3 be beating on people bigger than you? Other people’s *********** turbos are your motivation for building an engine? What about the domestic turbos? Where do the other power adders stand with you? You are fixing to spend over 30k to beat kids with less than 1/3rd of that in their engines. Where is the victory here?

#8 ·
I would start with a Dart iron block since bore size will be very important. Then you need to decide if you want a conventional style head, spread port, or symmetrical pro stock style. Then define exactly what fuel you will use. You mentioned 1000 rwhp and 1200 rwhp, you better decide which because the money difference is huge!. Oh and 25 grand as mentioned will be doubled or tripled!.

#10 ·
Again, base parameters will be pump gas/E85, alum Dart block(I'm not going iron unless the power difference more than makes up for the additional weight, which I don't think it will), preferably std deck. Heads-give me your recommendation. Will def be fuel injected, probably dual 4500tb's.

#11 ·
Go to Tony Bishoff at BES. Tell him what you want to do,ask how much $$, write him a check for 50%. Have the rest of the $$ ready in about a year..

Otherwise, 632 Pro iron Dart block, SR20 heads by Slick Rick, Callies Magnum crank and Ultra Pro rods, Racetec pistons, .950"+ 60 MM cam, dry sump oil pump system, belt drive. Then there is still the machine shop to deal with and frequent maintenance. No dual purpose engine. When it stays together, but still won't run the number, take it to BES.

#12 · (Edited)
I appreciate the response, but I'm not a check writer, I build my own as much as I can. The Ultra rods are crap, have seen a few sets shatter at the big end. Carillo rods and problem solved. I'm WD with Racetec, so them for sure. I like the Callies stuff, but some of it is China. The dry sump, maybe. If I could stay wet sump, I would. Yeah, I don't take my stuff to anyone. I'll just figure it out, just takes time and $$$ :)

And it's going to be a Dart alum block, that's an absolute. I don't want iron unless it"s a 250hp difference, which I doubt. Correct me if I'm wrong, 632's won't rpm 8k will they? I was thinking more 565/585/602.

The SR20 heads are superior to a Profiler 12deg Hitman?

#14 ·
I appreciate the response, but I'm not a check writer, I build my own as much as I can. The Ultra rods are crap, have seen a few sets shatter at the big end. Carillo rods and problem solved. I'm WD with Racetec, so them for sure. I like the Callies stuff, but some of it is China. The dry sump, maybe. If I could stay wet sump, I would. Yeah, I don't take my stuff to anyone. I'll just figure it out, just takes time and $$$ :)

And it's going to be a Dart alum block, that's an absolute. I don't want iron unless it"s a 250hp difference, which I doubt. Correct me if I'm wrong, 632's won't rpm 8k will they? I was thinking more 565/585/602.

The SR20 heads are superior to a Profiler 12deg Hitman?
STD deck 602@8k ?? That’s up there from my experience.

#13 ·
Build yourself a 4.500" bore space sbc on the splayed valve or sb2.2 platform, around 450-480 cui.
It can make 1000+ HP and weigh less then the BBC.
Build it with aluminum if you want, but I'd do the brodix Hipped block or Donovan, not dart aluminum....
Beat them punks with a Gen 1 sbc platform....
That'll piss them off quicker then a BBC pro stock engine.
Just my opinion.

#15 ·
RCM, thank you! That was what I was seeking, an intelligent answer. I am building several LS's and have built many SBF's and Buick's, but I am looking for a next level platform to make serious NA rpm/hp. I even thought about a Cleveland based architecture, but don't think I can build it big enough. Same problem with LS platform, can only go so big and you run out of room. You don't think I would need 500+ cubes? I would think I would want to build as a big a bore as possible, and have a stroke that would rpm and survive. More I think about this, it's really a build around the cylinder head, not so much the block. Thoughts?

#17 · (Edited)
I love when people say "you can't". Motivates me more. Honestly, I do like turbos, but the majority of people that run them can't build a fucking NA motor to save their life and they think they're God. They took the easy way out, for the most part. It's all power to weight and chassis prep at the end of the day. Look at the no prep scene, tons of power-more than they can use- and it's a chassis/tune race at the end of day.

If I build a tiny 2400lbs shit box w/ 1200whp NA, I promise anyone w/ as much boost as they want on the street will have a hard fucking time. At a certain point, the math/traction takes over. I am not even going to bring up hot-lapping at this point.

#18 ·
I’d do the aluminum 9.800” block, 1-2% hp loss tops. I’d build the 565 if that’s as small as you want to go. The Raptor, Dart BC shallow valve angle type 2.500/1.800 heads sure sound good, I’d call Bischoff and get the heads, intake, and cam from him. I’d do a cast single 4500 intake with one of those 2400 cfm TB’s and a big air cleaner on top. 8 CW crank, Carrillo 6.635” rods, .~1.100” CH VGP flat top close pin boss pistons at +.070 deck, .120” Cometic gasket,, .9,.9, 2mm ring package high on the piston, 927” .220”+ wall DLC pins, custom wet sump baffles pan as large as you can fit, no screens/scrapers,etc.. vac pump, biggest cam core/Jesel lifter/pushrod diameters that will fit, steel rockers.
Rev it as far up as it makes power, and gear accordingly. I personally like the whole idea and your motivation for doing it.

#19 ·
What about a 1300+hp ex pro stock engine. DRCE 2/3 ? Or hemi 99. I used to see them come up for sale under 20k carbs to pan. You could never build anything from scratch even close with that money. But valve springs maintenance would kill you as a street car.

Other option, 5.0 bore space, 700+ci 11+" deck height mountain motor with less camshaft in it. That's what i would do if i had to do a max effort N/A street car. With 33"x21" wide tires minimum. Basic plan - bigger everything. Plus the insane instant torque from hitting it on a roll in a 700+ci would be hard to beat (if you can get it to hook)

#21 ·
If you are considering a Cleveland platform Meyers block can get you up to 480 cubes I believe and some nice heads available like Higgins could get you to 1000 hp maybe but not likely with pump fuel. Has aluminium and working on cast blocks now

#24 ·
Find a 4.900 aluminum block (donavan?) or billet since we are throwing money out the window
older set of DRCE 4.900 PS heads
Valvetrain stability to 10000 + is not an issue, its all out there to be had
Winberg Billet crank
Id build it probably a 582 if you want to stay short deck.
shit a 20* 582 can make 1300 ish if you really get stupid with it
I gotta believe another 75+ cfm of air will more than make up for compression...lol
My 500" shit made right around 1500. The 80 cid will more than offset the compression loss.
With the right intake lobe i think you can get reasonable life from springs at 10000+ rpm.
Since we are pipe dreaming here, this would be my path

#48 ·
Find a 4.900 aluminum block (donavan?) or billet since we are throwing money out the window
older set of DRCE 4.900 PS heads
Valvetrain stability to 10000 + is not an issue, its all out there to be had
Winberg Billet crank
Id build it probably a 582 if you want to stay short deck.
shit a 20* 582 can make 1300 ish if you really get stupid with it
I gotta believe another 75+ cfm of air will more than make up for compression...lol
My 500" shit made right around 1500. The 80 cid will more than offset the compression loss.
With the right intake lobe i think you can get reasonable life from springs at 10000+ rpm.
Since we are pipe dreaming here, this would be my path
THIS,

In a no limits or weight adder for heads, the DRCE heads will win hands down.

T/S wanted to stay short deck, so 588 or so limit. 588 HAS already been 1330+ and that was Alex's old set-up! What the new set-up or SR20 heads do let alone a set of GOOD P/S take offs? Pump gas part is tough though...

Guys like Bob and Chris DO these kind of builds, sorta of. 4.900 DRCE big inch would be the plan to go. RPM the bitch and hand on. Find a good USED old 4.9 Pro stock deal (maybe Bob even has one or try Freeman as he always has stuff laying around).

#26 ·
The issue with the hemi is the swirl, or lack there of. Which IMO is what killed it with sr18. So IDK how it would respond to pump gas. And those castings limit rotation of the inlet valve. The hemi has better valvetrain IMO, but they struggled with fuel. Id like to give both a shot and see though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.