Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
The nitrous guy
7,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, thanks to Donald for a great race, SGMP for a great track and ALL the racers, both our customers and others for a great race. The nitrous racers, be they my customers, Steve's, Prock's, Kevin Neal's, whoever, put on a good show and made the nitrous faithful proud.

As for our results with Chad Henderson's car, they were both good and bad. This was our first race with the 738 in the car with the new chassis setup. The car has been fast with the small motor 4.41, but this is a totally new deal, as the 738 had several changes. We also had ZERO testing and actually had pushrods delivered to track, so the motor had not even been run when we got there.

Our first test past, resulted in a pedaling 4.80, after the car did a powerstand and he had to peddle the throttle twice and the car came down pretty hard. We inspected it and found no damage, so we carried on........but...........from that point on, our weekend was crap pretty much. The next pass it struck the tires early, but he did get back in it and it ran clean and we got to look at the tune a little. First QF for RVW was Thur night and the car died when he turned loose of the brake. WTF. Data showed a cam sensor issue, so we looked into that.

Friday morning after some cam sensor diagnostics, the car would not even do a burnout and was pushed off. And so went our Friday. ALL DAY, the car would not run. It was perfect in the pits, but get it on the track and it would die at the release of the brake. We changed EVERYTHING and the problem persisted and I think this went on for 4 or more runs.

So Friday night, we replaced both cam and crank sensors(for second time), as well as ran all new wires to ECU for those two items. Sat morning, with a soft "get it down" tune....... our problem seemed to be resolved with a 4.45 ET which put us in ODR at the number 4 spot. Now seeing as we had wasted the week trying to just get the damn thing to run, we had NO data on making the car go down the sometimes tricky SGMP surface in the heat and the 4.45 was our only bright spot, but we KNOW it will run, as it went the 4.45 with only a 1.17 short time and 2.98 to 330 @ 167 so it was hauling good out the back on 3 fairly small kits and a really soft timing number.

Now..........as to WHAT was the electrical issue, as this car has NEVER given us this kind of problems with the EFI, as I have stated here on numerous times. After a lot of thought, I think it was the wheelstand. The cam/crank sensor harness runs inside the right front frame rail and passes behind the shock. I think when the car slammed down it possibly pinched the wires between the spring on the shock, between shock and frame or something similar. I just ran new wires at the track and the problem was fixed and I can't see up in the frame without taking some of the car apart, which I will do this week.........but at this point, some damage to that wiring seems a logical conclusion. Pretty confident I will find a pinched spot. Obviously it did not cut it in two, or the car would not have run at all............BUT.......if it nearly cut it in two, that would explain why the car would run in the pits, but not on the track under load.......Maybe......lets hope......LOL!!!

Long, exhausting week, but maybe we did learn a LITLLE something........

Monte

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Who likes a intermittent problem.......they drive you crazy, make you nuts.

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Damn. Talk about real life racers! I feel better, because we've been in s similar pickle on many occasions. Thanks for sharing, Monte.

·
Senor Frog
8,949 Posts
That's a tough deal when you have a gremlin and you cant find it on the electrical side
and waste pass after pass (time and money) looking for it ..Been there done that.....
Good luck in the future,it will be fast once sorted out

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
big power and TQ between the 638 and this new piece.you will get it down pat. like you said it did not even run before you got to the track. and holy shit on 167 MPH out the backhalf!! this bitch is going to fly when you get it sorted out!!! good luck to you and chad. PS,are you coming to mike hills race?

·
The nitrous guy
7,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was a tough weekend and we definitely struggled with the electrical issues and lack of passes to dial the suspension in.........but.........on the positive side, we were within a few numbers of our best ever when we did finally get it down. We had hundreds of passes with the 632, so to be this close after only a few passes is a positive thing. To go that fast with the small motor, we definitely had it's tongue hanging out. The 738 seems to be a beast and ran VERY well with much less nitrous put to it than the 632. So we have plenty of room to grow. Also have a 4th one we can light to.............lol!!

Monte

·
6,384 Posts
167 MPH is the real deal especially when you know you can throw more at it down the road. Very Impressive. Just curious Monte, how much PPH would you say you are down on the 738 compared to the 632 if you don't mind sharing? We have some decisions to make down the road and I'm curious as to what the overall gain is going from standard bore to 5" when it's all said and done.

·
The nitrous guy
7,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
167 MPH is the real deal especially when you know you can throw more at it down the road. Very Impressive. Just curious Monte, how much PPH would you say you are down on the 738 compared to the 632 if you don't mind sharing? We have some decisions to make down the road and I'm curious as to what the overall gain is going from standard bore to 5" when it's all said and done.
To run as fast as we did with the 632 we were in the 3450 range..........right now with the big motor we have right at 3200 on it

Monte

·
6,384 Posts
To run as fast as we did with the 632 we were in the 3450 range..........right now with the big motor we have right at 3200 on it

Monte
Very cool, sounds like you guys will be in the .30's before long. Glad to see gremlins aside you and Chad are making some progress.

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Monte, you know I always have questions...LOL.

On Chad's car with the 738 5" BS, do you run an NGK 10 or 11, if you do not mind sharing? We've been running 10s on both cars with 2 stages, & was thinking maybe a colder 11 would be preferable when we spray 3 on either the 738 5" BS or the 706 5" BS;

Same application (Chad's 738), what was the final total timing with 3 kits in SGMP?

Thanks, & continued good luck to you & Chad!

·
The nitrous guy
7,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Monte, you know I always have questions...LOL.

On Chad's car with the 738 5" BS, do you run an NGK 10 or 11, if you do not mind sharing? We've been running 10s on both cars with 2 stages, & was thinking maybe a colder 11 would be preferable when we spray 3 on either the 738 5" BS or the 706 5" BS;

Same application (Chad's 738), what was the final total timing with 3 kits in SGMP?

Thanks, & continued good luck to you & Chad!
I run 11s Ronnie, always have on a motor like this with 2 or 3 kits. I see no reason NOT to.

As for the timing, I will be glad to tell you, but that is not likely information that you can use. Chad's motor is not your motor and I have changed lots of stuff on this motor to make it more nitrous friendly. Our first kit was a .028 and the second and third was .032. On the 4.45 pass it was at 12 total and was showing zero heat. I expect I am about 2 low on where that number will ultimately end up with this amount of nitrous.

Our 632 with MORE total nitrous than this, ran at 12* with all 3 kits on and this motor will easily swallow more and like it, plus like I said, I have done a LOT to this motor to make it more friendly. So I would NOT suggest you base your timing from ours

Monte

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Understood Monte. We've been running NGK 10s on the 638 & 738 with 2 stages. I was planning on running 11s on the 738 when we run 3 stages, & might also run the 11s on the new Fulton 706 combo. My only concern was IF the 11 plugs would be too cold. We are planning on making the ADRL T/S show in Baytown in mid October in the 02, but we have made some changes (bigger tire MT 33.5x16.5x16, looser stator per Jason Coan, etc.), & have not run the car in a year. Thanks.

·
The nitrous guy
7,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Understood Monte. We've been running NGK 10s on the 638 & 738 with 2 stages. I was planning on running 11s on the 738 when we run 3 stages, & might also run the 11s on the new Fulton 706 combo. My only concern was IF the 11 plugs would be too cold. We are planning on making the ADRL T/S show in Baytown in mid October in the 02, but we have made some changes (bigger tire MT 33.5x16.5x16, looser stator per Jason Coan, etc.), & have not run the car in a year. Thanks.
If that is the M/T "bubba" tire as they call it.......I forsee problems in your future......LOL!!!

Monte

·
Registered
236 Posts
Congrats on showing some promise for us nitrous guys!!! We had a good weekend of learning our car since the accident. This was the first race back and the car performed awesome with our best passes to date. We ran 2 4.48 both with only a 1.17 60 on the 275 tire. I think nitrous can still compete!!!!

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Hey Ronnie.....IMO If something were to happen while you had those -11 in there I would guess something else is out of sync.
Such as .... Carb set ups, fuel, etc....
For the "short period" of time.......... Fire car, do your burnout, and stage, those plugs should not foul out if that's what's you are worried about.....I ran -11 ALL YEAR last season on 2 larger kits. Never a problem..
Like Monte was getting at........why NOT..... Get some heat out. Even more important when running on the edge.... Just my 2 cents buddy.
3 guns will make plenty of heat for you.... Lol

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Ray, I never have run an 11, but the reservartions were from a racer friend. We will run the 11s. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I've run -11 's au shit that's with the intake banged off hanging off the fender and the hood scoop having a 30 second hang time , reread the thread , we run AR 3931
Frank lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts