Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Hit Em In Da Mouf Racing
15,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How bout this , I'm a automotive high school instructor , I've been asking for three fucking years to get a new alignment machine and get my parts washer fixed ! I've got a lincoln stuck in the air cause my two post rack busted a line while the car was up ! Well , yesterday I called the State Dept. and talked to the director of Vocational Ed. , his response "WE HAVE NO MONEY", I mean wtf I have 60 students and my seniors are now studying steering and suspension with emphasis on alignment . Well, he tells me to show videos ! WTF ! How can I teach alignment with no fucking operating equipment ! My point gents is this is our fucking future were playing with here and that's why America is behind all other countries , cause no one gives a fuck ! Just needed to get that off my chest ! :-damnit

·
Registered
167 Posts
You're lucky they even have an auto class. I live in a yuppie infested city of about 65,000 with 3 public high schools. They stopped having any of the vocational classes (auto shop, machine shop, welding) over 10 years ago. Now the kids have to graduate high school then go to the technical college if they want to learn any of that stuff. That's sad.

·
Professor
90,869 Posts
The last problem with education is lack of money.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Depending on what state you are in, education could be worse in other areas. In upstate NY, we had a decent education system but here in Florida it is fucking pathetic.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
A good friend of mine is a auto tech teacher at the local vo-tech and I'm on the advisory council. I takes a long time for us to get any type of equipment. We only have 2 meetings a year and we have to vote on all suggestions then pass it along, up the chain. I'm always trying to donate what I can to help him out. I can feel your frustration!!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
what pathetic is the government pisses away all the money on other programs for people that dont work. Private schools are exceeding public schools in graduation rates and performance. Additionally they do it with less money also. If the teachers dont teach, they get shit canned. its a viable business not like public schools. all they teach is entitlement and equality. My wife teaches at a christian school and they play dodgeball every friday in PE. it singles out the weak kids to try to improve. if not , they get picked on every time, just like in real life.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Do some fundraising. It can start as simple as writing letters to local independent shops, dealerships, and national chains.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
At least your school has an auto shop program...most don't anymore. Maybe you could arrange a field trip to a local shop and have them demonstrate how on their machine. There might be money in the budget for a field trip....worth a try. My husband got his position cut from the auto shop program here because there was no money...now the kids sit in a classroom and learn by books and film. Can't go into the shop because there isn't enough supervision. Sad......who will fix all these college educated people's cars when they break?????

·
Hit Em In Da Mouf Racing
15,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My point exactly ! I do a lot of fundraisers when I can get them approved . I've also had engines and other items donated to me , but it's not enough! I'm pulling my hair out over here , some kind of way they can pave parking lots and buy brand new busses but nothing else . I'm very passionate about what I do and I believe in education but what are we producing ! Nothing ! I guess that maybe I do have it better than some ! As for industry visits we have to raise money for fuel if a bus is available , I'm telling you this shit is getting to me . One of the best alignment techs in the south works right down the street and he has offered to let the kids observe , but he's not gonna stop and explain camber , caster , and toe !I can only go so far with theory it's like building an engine , I can talk about it till I'm blue in the face , but until they actually build one I'm spinning my wheels !

·
SOFA KING WHAT?
43,675 Posts
How bout this , I'm a automotive high school instructor , I've been asking for three fucking years to get a new alignment machine and get my parts washer fixed ! I've got a lincoln stuck in the air cause my two post rack busted a line while the car was up ! Well , yesterday I called the State Dept. and talked to the director of Vocational Ed. , his response "WE HAVE NO MONEY", I mean wtf I have 60 students and my seniors are now studying steering and suspension with emphasis on alignment . Well, he tells me to show videos ! WTF ! How can I teach alignment with no fucking operating equipment ! My point gents is this is our fucking future were playing with here and that's why America is behind all other countries , cause no one gives a fuck ! Just needed to get that off my chest ! :-damnit

How much do you need to get the line fixed?

·
In Glock I Trust
6,655 Posts
Someone will probably call your school now and complain because you posted this....

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Get on the phone with anyone that will listen to you .. not just local shops but the big company's .. my old hs auto shop just got an older alignment rack setup donated by hunter .. its not the newest fancy shit but it works .. auto shop is an elective and the board doesn't. Give a shit because the majority of parents don't care
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've been asking for three fucking years to get a new alignment machine...
Do you currently have an alignment machine? If so, what's wrong with it? If not, teach the students to do it the old-fashioned way. It's the same theory and the same exact adjustments being made to the vehicle. Once they perform the task manually and competently, then take them for a trip to see an alignment performed on a professional machine.

Teach them about what they're doing so that they understand the procedure whether they are wrenching in their driveway, or using a professional alignment set-up.

and get my parts washer fixed !
What's wrong with it? It better not be a problem outside of your 'pay grade'...

I've got a lincoln stuck in the air cause my two post rack busted a line while the car was up !
You claim to have done fundraising and you have a busted hydraulic line...this is a no-brainer.

·
Registered
828 Posts
In high school,we had an auto class (3 tiers actually) AND Vo-Tech.Now the auto shop is a weight training room and the old weight training room is a classroom.
Really sucks for kids that can't go to Vo-Tech for 1 reason or another.

I'm in the process of getting a new (used) machine,if you can arrange for the shipping I'll donate a D-111 (has up to 2001 specs and about 50 newer added). It works perfect and has an extra set of circuit boards,new cables,printer.

Maybe a fundraiser to get it shipped?

·
Hit Em In Da Mouf Racing
15,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well , the repair facility I talked with is 75.00 an hour to come out ! The sad thing is we can only deal with districts vendors , these are people who are set up to accept district purchase orders. So as of now I have no clue what the total will be until he comes and looks at it , but he did stress that's 75 bucks an hour!

·
I kill parts
10,216 Posts
If you can tell me what the line is for your lift I'll send you one. - I run a hyd hose/fitting store.

I'd imagine it's either a -6 or -4 hose with female JIC(AN) fittings. Get me specs and I'll get it to you.

·
In Glock I Trust
6,655 Posts
I would try to "12 pack" 1 of the city or county workers that do hydraulics to come over after hours and fix it.

·
Hit Em In Da Mouf Racing
15,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
First of all sir , I don't claim anything , I have done fundraisers and continue to do so ! It is not the repsonsibilty of my students to pay for state funded equipment ! They have fundraisers for trips and for SKILLS USA ! It's quite sad , the state made me block off this rack in fear of safety but nothing has been done to fix it ! Yes, I have a very old Hunter machine that has'nt worked in the five years I been here . The last teacher didn't teach it , when I got here this program was in improvement and was about to be eliminated because of low student numbers and test scores ! Needless to say I currently have over 60 students and the program was elevated out of improvement almost three years ago, so I think I do a damn good job with what I have ! I had almost a hundred students that elected to take my program but there is a maximum of twenty students per class , and I have three classes. So, I would think that my numbers don't lie , this should be reason enough to fix any and all of my broken equipment !

·
Hit Em In Da Mouf Racing
15,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I really appreciate that , thanks ! I can see what we can do for shipping , but you would not believe what I have to go thru for someone to donate something . I would have to have board approval , a written letter for the use of the equipment , b ut first all this must be submitted three weeks in advance to get it on the dockett !

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
I live in a small suburb of Toledo. Alot of money in this little town too. About 90% of the schools got additions added on, or got a brand new school built. Well as they are finishing all of them up, they say are have to make drastic cuts, because they is no money for teachers, supplies, or after school sports. That was just this week. I just don't get it. Who is handeling the books?

1 - 20 of 92 Posts