Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to finish the walls in my shop. The 7/16 OSB is approx. $8 a 4x8 sheet vs $14.xx for 1/2 CDX plywood. Basically need the OSB/plywood for wall protection.

Going to run sheets horizontal (4' high). Also the sheets would be painted.

Going to need approx 20 sheets which is a $125 cost difference between the two.

So go with OSB or plywood? :confused:

Billy T.
[email protected]

·
Registered
664 Posts
The only difference is The plywood would be a smoother surface to work with

depends were you get you plywood from , OSB will work fine and one side of OSB is always smooth on one side
Frank

·
Registered
13,364 Posts
I put OSB in my other shop. I had to prime the shit out of it or the colors bled through. Looked kinda chincy, too, but not that bad.

IIRC they make OSB that's nice on one side.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
OSB will make your walls look like shit, plywood is the way to go in my opinion.

·
Registered
760 Posts
osb looks ok, but probably wouldnt look too good if you painted it...wonder how much it would cost for white interior grade tin?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Plywood will also be better if you are going to me mounting or screwing things to these walls. OSB is much better for substrate applications IMO. Much easier to reuse a screw whole in CDX than OSB.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I lined mine with OSB. What do you need protection from ?
Just general mishaps such as slamming a jack handle.

My walls are 12' high. The area above the OSB/plywood is going to me metal panel liner. If I run the liner down to the floor, I'll have to be careful it doesn't get dented or scratched.

Billy T.
[email protected]

·
WHAT NOW ?
17,278 Posts
if your going to be doing any kind of welding in your shop dont line the walls with any kind of wood product....rather have dents in sheet metal than a fire .

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Or half inch drywall over the OSB backing for strength with a nice look that is fire retardant, but brings the cost up although it's easy to repair marks with a swipe of drywall mud.

·
www.ULTRA-CARBON.com
12,739 Posts
Or half inch drywall over the OSB backing for strength with a nice look that is fire retardant, but brings the cost up although it's easy to repair marks with a swipe of drywall mud.

X2....if you wanna do drywall over top, painting and repairs are made easier. If no drywall or painting, I'd go with the plywood.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
if no drywall the use plywood and a light stain...that looks good

·
Registered
287 Posts
CDX is not smooth worked at a lumber yard for 20 yrs. trust me plywood is just as hard to paint. I use OSB unpainted and it will look the same in ten years as the day you put it up. For a nice finish try 4x8 masonite or hardy board looks and paints great for not alot more money and it is already primed. Just remember once you start painting you will always have to repaint. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts