Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
MLS gaskets work great for most people, however, if someone is running boost or a big hit and they blow, there's a 100% chance that they're going to pressurize the coolant system due to their design. Doing such is going to water down the track at a minimum, but more than likely will result in a crash.

If someone is looking at this worst case scenario, o-ringing is a good alternative. We're working on a system utilizing o-ringing and some other tricks that would prevent from pressurizing the coolant system, without welding or plugging all of the water ports in the block and the heads.

·
Registered
715 Posts
at what boost level would it be a wise choice to go o-ring?
I think that comes down to OEM or aftermarket heads, bolts, studs, torque used, aluminum or iron block, etc.

Do some searches on here and see what others have done. Ultimate346 has made 1500 hp using LS9 head gaskets, iron block, OEM heads and over torqued studs.

There's guys who've crashed their 800 hp cars with aluminum blocks, OEM heads and the same gaskets.

I will say the thought of pressurizing the water jacket on a block scares the hell out of me.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I think that comes down to OEM or aftermarket heads, bolts, studs, torque used, aluminum or iron block, etc.

Do some searches on here and see what others have done. Ultimate346 has made 1500 hp using LS9 head gaskets, iron block, OEM heads and over torqued studs.

There's guys who've crashed their 800 hp cars with aluminum blocks, OEM heads and the same gaskets.

I will say the thought of pressurizing the water jacket on a block scares the hell out of me.
What kind of prep was done to the deck of the block and heads? Just wondered if the heads were welded and drilled for smaller coolant holes.

·
Registered
715 Posts
What kind of prep was done to the deck of the block and heads? Just wondered if the heads were welded and drilled for smaller coolant holes.
For Ultimate346? As far as I know, nothing was welded or filled. You can search his posts or send him a PM and ask him.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts