Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Are Optimas worth the money?

• Yes! Gel cell FTW!

Votes: 24 26.1%
  • Hell, no. A battery is a battery.

Votes: 47 51.1%
  • Situation dependant, ie- marine applications.

Votes: 21 22.8%
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are they still worth the cash they bring? Or are the old ones the only Optimas that were worth the $$ and the new ones turned to crap?

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
I have one that is 10 years old and got retired to the car we drive 1 time a month. Sits with the tender on it. Has not been a problem.

I have a 2 year old one in the race car and it has been fine.

But I do think they are hit and miss now days.

Tim

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
we no longer use these batteries at the shop since they are junk and wouldn't stand behind their warranty. we had all of them removed, after throwing the battery guy out on his ass for being ignorant to top it off.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Red tops suck....don't ever let them go dead.

Yellow Tops are pretty good. We use 2 of them as a battery backup unit in a 24 volt military vehicle. We have had them come back from theatre with the tops cracked still holding a charge.

·
Registered
17,322 Posts
Ive warrantied out more optima batteries then I know WTF to do with. Find another gel cell brand. Im not voting in the poll though because you dont have the correct poll choice.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I sold my motor around three months ago, battery has been sitting in my car with no tender on it, wifes car battery took a dump, popped it in, fired it up! I have always had good results with Optima batteries.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have had a red top in my race car for at least 2-3 yrs.Keep it on a Tender.No prob.so far.I do think ALL car batteries are crap though.Had to replace one in my daily driver yesterday,only 4 months old and went bad.

·
having fun
31,303 Posts
had 2 large batteries in my old 79 ranger shortbed---and 1 optima replaced both of those batteries and the truck was always better off

not saying theyre the shit-but that it worked for me

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Junk....

Get an XSpower battery. Have one on my car, smaller, lighter, and it always starts the car...and it's not on a tender.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The key is to slow charge them and if you have an alternator, a battery that is ran down will be ruined by being "hot charged".

I had two blue top's in the boat , got rid of them went back to lead acid Interstates (Same Manufacturer)
I have a red top as an auxiliary in the plow truck 4 yrs old and still working.

I bought a bunch of yellow tops and use them in my electric fork lift, they work great and hold a charge for months.
They make them here in Ohio. My buddies neighbor works there.

I have had one sit for two years unheated storage and still have a charge.
Would I pay more than $30.00 for one, NO!

·
The Media has an agenda!
25,768 Posts
Revolutionary bang for the buck....UNTIL Northern battery was bought out by JC and they exported the company to Mexico. Optima went to total shit after that...

Another great product destroyed.

·
Registered
340 Posts
What I understand is the optima is a spiral cell. When charged at a high rate thesmaller, center cells burn out. Inactivity is also a killer for batteries. Keeping them on a maintainer or tender seems to extend the life as well as slow charging. I run a group 34? Agm that is a flat plate design out of a newer chevy truck. Had one in my car last year, added a second this year due to low cca of thebattery. The nice thing is I have them mounted on their sides underneath the car. No loose acid means no leak.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
IVE HEARD LOTS OT HORROS STORIES BUT I HAVE HAD 2 FOR OVER A YEAR EACH AND THEY ARE FINE

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Every single car Ive ever had in my shop with an optima battery that has sat for more than a few days needed a fully charged jump box to crank the car over. I doubt that many cars had massive current drains. Fuck those things.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts