Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, looking for pros/cons on progressive controllers. I am fairly new to nitrous, shooting a 100 HP shot from a NX plate which is adjustable to 500 HP. This spring I want to up the plate to 150-200 hp then hit it with the fogger. This system is currently activated by a WOT switch at the carb and is wired to an MSD digital multi retard that can retard up to 4 kits.

I am currently shopping for a fogger system for another hit after I get out of the hole.

Because this is a stock suspension car, I was thinking of buying the NOS progressive controller to limit the hit on the suspension and to be nice to my low buck lower end.

Anyone running a progresser for two stages?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Matt, thanks, I am aware of that. However, I'd probably only use it 20-30 times a year as I only go to the track a few times in the spring and fall and probably only use it a few times around town.

How hard are these progreeers on noids?

·
Premium Member
2,457 Posts
Pulsing solinode's also mean's rich lean rich condition and very hard to tune, alot of people us them but just because someone else jump's off a bridge doesn't mean you should too, most of the people that I have seen that have very good luck use delay timer's and programable timing control's, not to say progressive's can't work I just don't think it's the best option

·
Registered
117 Posts
adeeos said:
Matt, thanks, I am aware of that. However, I'd probably only use it 20-30 times a year as I only go to the track a few times in the spring and fall and probably only use it a few times around town.

How hard are these progreeers on noids?
if you are aware of that and still want to run them then you've answered your own question.

NOS reccomends 2nd inline n20 'noid as a safety feature to insure that n20 from the leaky 'noid (the one that is pulsing then leaks like hell) doesn't enter the motor when the kit is not on. if you think you'll be ok "only" using it 20 or 30 times then go for it... as far as i'm concerned i wouldn't use them once. a digi-set delay timer for the 2nd stage is a better idea as well as a smaller first hit to maximize traction.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if you are aware of that and still want to run them then you've answered your own question.

Matt, let me clarify. I knew that pulsing effects the noids, but I was and I am still unsure to what extent. Does it take 5 passes to hurt the noid or does it take 500?

Do you have to rebuild them or replace them after a season or after five, that is basiscally what I was asking.

Thanks for you input

·
Registered
117 Posts
i do not know how long it takes to wear the 'noids out... i wouldn't think it would be long, how would you know unless you check it every trip to the track? i have enough maintenance to do without messing with that LOL. overall the idea is sound but the effects on the 'noids are the limiting factor as well as the tuneup issue that zeke pointed out, rich, lean, rich, lean... not my idea of a good tuneup. i run a D/R car and run 2 stages with a small one off the line, works well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just a thought, foggers typically hit 'softer' then plate kits. I would leave the line with the fogger and bring the plate in down track. Just my $.02

-Joe Smith
Lukovich Racing

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Matt, Joesmith, thanks for the replys.

Matt, how do you have yours set up if you don't mind? You running fogger/plate or two stage plate? Do you have any timing retard or are you letting it hit with all of the HP on each stage?

Joe, I have no problem with that. My plate is good to 500 hp. I am new to this stuff so it should interesting if the tires break loose :shock: going into secind hitting the second stage.

thanks for the replys

·
Registered
424 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Ive been using a nx maximizer with a fogger on a 300hp tune and have had great luck with it. I switced from a plate with no controller and went from 1.38 in 60ft to 1.30 (small tire car) just with tunning from to controller. I was also worried about effects on the noids but havnt had any problems with them. Ive always had the best luck giving it max power as soon as I can. With 2 stages it seamed like the car would get loose on the 2nd hit just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Do what I did. Buy a 7530 or 7531 MSD ignition and take out timing to control the launch. This is my first fogger and I would not ever use a progressive controller. It is not if you will have a problem, it is when (your hood blows 30 feet up in the air).
I leave the line with somewhere around 2 degrees of timing when the transbrake is released. Still learning how to tune the power and the stock suspension on true 10.5 tires but have never had to abort a run yet from blowing the tires on the launch and have ran a 1.30 so far. This is with .037 jets fogger with a 466 big block at 3200 lbs.
5.49 at 129 MPH
Timing retard works and is much safer. IMO

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
i agree with 899 coupe,the msd 7531 is the only way to go,i use it with my 632 with 3 foggers with digiset timers ,theirs a lot of stuff you can do with this box,steve

1 - 14 of 14 Posts