Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I work in northern Canada doing mineral exploartion in the summers and this summer i would really like to come more prepaired to deal with the "wildlife" just in case. I had a couple of close calls with grizzley breas last year that i do not want to cahnce it anymore.

I have chosen to go for a revolver because it is a simply built and will not jam up on me if it is has had dirt/water/crap in it.

I prospect around all day, so weight is somewhat of an issue, but i do not want to sacrafice velocity or dropdown power either, so i was leaning towards a .44 or 45 caliber with some preety hot loads.

That being siad your opinions would be great. I have no idea which brand to go with, or caliber, barrel length, etc. What i do know is that if i have to use this thing on a bear, i want that fucker to regret choosing me as a dinner option.

Thanks guys,

Adrian

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Another option maybe .454 casull, anything much stronger starts to be unmanageable and inaccurate for a quick defensive shot.

·
Registered
13,364 Posts
I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but Smith was making a "Mountain Gun", which was a Four inch (I think) Mod 29 .44 mag. Something like that would be good, depending on how much weight you want to lug around all day. I wouldn't drop below a .44, though, if you're worried about bear.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Another option maybe .454 casull, anything much stronger starts to be unmanageable and inaccurate for a quick defensive shot.
my next revolver purchase will bwe a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in .454 Casull, .454 out of a 2.5" barrel, hell yeah!

that said, I have a Super Redhawk 7" barrel in .44 mag now

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have a 480 ruger super redhawk that i love. Its a little bigger than the 44mag and 45 long colts, but not as big as the 454cassul. Recoil is super manageable and It will kill efficiently out too 125-130 yards.

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
I'd at least go with a .454 Casull. Might look for a used Dan Wesson in .445 Supermag. Load it with .300 grain sold nosed bullets. You might consider some of the .475 and .480 rounds as well. But if it were me I'd get my hands on a good 12 gauge pump with an 18" barrel, and use Brenke lion slugs (3"). These are harder and tougher than common deer slugs, and will most certainly get a bears undivided attention! On my fishing trips I usually carry a .444 (330 grain Corbon bullets) or a .450 Marlin guide gun. The .450 will anchor a bear right now if the blast dosn't run him off alone! But the recoil of the .444 seems to be a little more manageable for a quicker second shot.
gary

·
Registered
21,609 Posts
I think i'd want .454 for bear. If I remember my ballistics on this correctly, the .454 will be carry almost as much energy at 100 yards as the .44 mag has at the muzzle. Also, it's not like you'll be running a huge number of rounds through it so so shooting comfort isn't that much of a concern.

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
I think i'd want .454 for bear. If I remember my ballistics on this correctly, the .454 will be carry almost as much energy at 100 yards as the .44 mag has at the muzzle. Also, it's not like you'll be running a huge number of rounds through it so so shooting comfort isn't that much of a concern.
Not unless you reload it, and most of the revolvers chambered for the round are not made to handle those pressures. A .445 will be right there with about 44K chamber pressure while the .454 will need almost 49K. The Dan Wesson is one tough revolver with a double cylinder lockup, and probably will handle 49K as well. A Super Blackhawk will probably do anything you want in 44 mag, but if it were me I'd simply find a 12 gauge pump with an 18 or 20" slug barrel with a three inch chamber! If these slugs are good enough for a wounded African lion they'll do anything elese you ask for
gary

·
Registered
678 Posts
I carry a Ruger Super Redhawk 7.5" 44 magnum that is factory scoped when I hunt. Zeroed at 100 to 125yards. Now have a Performance Center 6.5" 460 Magnum Hunter, it's in at 200+ yards. Shoots 45LC,454 and 460 magnums all very well.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Well I like the looks of the Smith N frame, .357,41 mag and 44 mag. The Smith X frame looks pretty strong but I never owned or shot one. The Ruger Redhawk has a much stronger frame but doesn't look as nice to me. The Blackhawks are strong also but you are into a single action.

·
888 Posts
I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable shooting at a charging grizzly bear with a .44 magnum.
.500 S&W would be my choice.
S.

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable shooting at a charging grizzly bear with a .44 magnum.
.500 S&W would be my choice.
S.
shooting Ole' Griz at 30 paces with a pistol, one could only hope there was a large glob of Vasoline all ver the barrel!
gary

1 - 20 of 62 Posts