Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
The X-Bomb
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to know why its so hard to get people interested in our race. I bust my ass promoting this and everyone just seems to sweep it under the rug. somebody tell what needs to change! tell me how it is! i will take it all! I want to give outlaw cars and others a place to race. its a passion to me but when nobody seems interested, it seems that i failed. thanks for any input, i know this is yellowbullet and you guys will tell me how it is...lol

here is a link to the rules.
http://1badnova.proboards49.com/index.cgi?board=meets&action=display&thread=4229

here is a link to our flyer for the next race.
http://1badnova.proboards49.com/index.cgi?board=meets&action=display&thread=4648

·
The X-Bomb
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
wow??? only one view and that was ME! its a damn shame that a dragstrip for sale or a sbc in a mustang is more important then a place to race. somebody explain this to me and make me understand!

·
Registered
347 Posts
wrong area of the country for me but I know the heads-up outlaw classes have really brought a renewed interest in racing here for sure. People like the small tire cars that go fast.....period. ANY promoter worth a crap should latch on to it and run. Tracks all over the country are looking for ways to make dollars to stay open. Those are the classes that will get it done!!

·
T/S 368E
35,296 Posts
wow??? only one view and that was ME! its a damn shame that a dragstrip for sale or a sbc in a mustang is more important then a place to race. somebody explain this to me and make me understand!

You only waited 38 minutes at 7 am on a Sat. Some of us were out racing or working on cars untill 12-1 AM.
People will give you some opinions when we eat & get our eyes back in focus. Good luck with your program.

·
from across the pond...
6,961 Posts
done any radio/tv ads? Local newspaper ads? got in contact with media reps to get them to the track?
More press you can get the more folk will want to come.....
You need to stand out more than the 100 other races...
Just my opinion...

·
Registered
384 Posts
opinion

If the lack of interest is from racers, you probably need to look at the rules package and payouts. (IE to many rules not enough money)
To many rules serves to eliminate possible competitors, trim your rule package back (you can adjust and add more later).

If the lack of interest is from race tracks, that is just a sign of the times (rough economy=tight race track owners).

You may want to trim down the number of classes you are running. Concentrate on one or two, and add more down the road after it takes hold.

Promoting races, making all racers happy (impossible) is a difficult task, I know (UDRA President).
Make it managable, stick with it, it will eventually come around (I hope). Good Luck !

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I would say over saturation....

There are just more heads up races than there are racers to fill all of the classes...

How many cars are you getting to show up to a race?? with the payouts and entries you are posting getting 8 cars for each heads up class would be doing good..

How long have you been promoting these type of classes??

If it has been less than a couple of years.. it does take time to get programs like this running unless you throw HUGE money at them

I have seen some new events that did pay huge money that only drew 9-12 cars.

I dont know where the track you are doing this is at but how densely populated is the area.. The fewer people the harder it is to get cars to show up.. I have been promoting the MAKO series for 5 years now and just this year have been getting over 16 cars in the class to show up consistently , but we dont have more than 750,000 people with in a 100 mile radius of any track we run at, some have less than 300,000...

When you figure some of the tracks in Houston and Dallas have 4.5 to 7 million people with in 100 miles you can see the difference in expectations....

There are TONS of places to run these types of cars.. Make sure you are not scheduled on or close to other similar events that are near you r track yo are running, you really do not want to be the week after!

Most racers the past few years seem to be traveling less. Do you know that there are enough cars built to fit your rules with in an hour or two from you to fill the classes.. If you have say 24 cars with in a 2 hour period divide the number in half to take out cars that are down and racers who just have something else to do. eliminate another tenth who will think they cannot compete, then lose another tenth to racers who just broke or something else came up at the last minute even though the said they would be there .... So from 24 cars you can expect to draw 7 of them...

Hope this helps.. if it was easy everyone would be doing it...

·
Registered
11,183 Posts

There are just more heads up races than there are racers to fill all of the classes...
I'd have to agree. Your part of the country has a lot of competition. Seems like every track over there has an "outlaw" type heads-up series. I live in Iowa. We have 5 dragstrips and no head-ups series at any of them. They do the midnight drags or things like that, but no organized points series. We would KILL to have something like that over here

The fact is, bracket racing makes the tracks more money. Money is also the issue for racers. As a racer, you have to justify the expense outlay vs possibility of winning money. Granted, it's for fun, but spending $500.00 twice a month to possibly win $100.00 or so just doesn't compute. The purse has to be enough to at least offset some of the cost. You'll need sponsors for that.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Also, many of these series have complicated rules and too many classes. You shouldn't need more than 3-4 classes to cover 99% of the cars out there. If you do an index series it's even easier - set the index, no electronics, any mods are legal. You can check out IMSM for ideas on index-type racing --> http://www.imsmracingseries.com/

·
The X-Bomb
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If the lack of interest is from racers, you probably need to look at the rules package and payouts. (IE to many rules not enough money)
To many rules serves to eliminate possible competitors, trim your rule package back (you can adjust and add more later).

If the lack of interest is from race tracks, that is just a sign of the times (rough economy=tight race track owners).

You may want to trim down the number of classes you are running. Concentrate on one or two, and add more down the road after it takes hold.

Promoting races, making all racers happy (impossible) is a difficult task, I know (UDRA President).
Make it managable, stick with it, it will eventually come around (I hope). Good Luck !
it seems like lack of interest with racers. and money..thats a whole other problem. Its very hard to convince someone to hand you money for a race org they've never heard of.

·
The X-Bomb
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

How many cars are you getting to show up to a race?? with the payouts and entries you are posting getting 8 cars for each heads up class would be doing good..

How long have you been promoting these type of classes??

If it has been less than a couple of years.. it does take time to get programs like this running unless you throw HUGE money at them

I have seen some new events that did pay huge money that only drew 9-12 cars.

I dont know where the track you are doing this is at but how densely populated is the area.. The fewer people the harder it is to get cars to show up.. I have been promoting the MAKO series for 5 years now and just this year have been getting over 16 cars in the class to show up consistently , but we dont have more than 750,000 people with in a 100 mile radius of any track we run at, some have less than 300,000...

When you figure some of the tracks in Houston and Dallas have 4.5 to 7 million people with in 100 miles you can see the difference in expectations....

There are TONS of places to run these types of cars.. Make sure you are not scheduled on or close to other similar events that are near you r track yo are running, you really do not want to be the week after!

Most racers the past few years seem to be traveling less. Do you know that there are enough cars built to fit your rules with in an hour or two from you to fill the classes.. If you have say 24 cars with in a 2 hour period divide the number in half to take out cars that are down and racers who just have something else to do. eliminate another tenth who will think they cannot compete, then lose another tenth to racers who just broke or something else came up at the last minute even though the said they would be there .... So from 24 cars you can expect to draw 7 of them...

Hope this helps.. if it was easy everyone would be doing it...
this was alot of good info..if that is the normal car counts i guess im doing all right. the fan for the most part will come to watch. Its just the stress that always happen before a race. Its just people don't seem to be responding. well i just hope it turns out good. thanks for the input.

·
The X-Bomb
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'd have to agree. Your part of the country has a lot of competition. Seems like every track over there has an "outlaw" type heads-up series. I live in Iowa. We have 5 dragstrips and no head-ups series at any of them. They do the midnight drags or things like that, but no organized points series. We would KILL to have something like that over here

The fact is, bracket racing makes the tracks more money. Money is also the issue for racers. As a racer, you have to justify the expense outlay vs possibility of winning money. Granted, it's for fun, but spending $500.00 twice a month to possibly win $100.00 or so just doesn't compute. The purse has to be enough to at least offset some of the cost. You'll need sponsors for that.
there is alot of heads up orgs around here. I have 3 bracket classes. if it wasnt for those guys we would have went under by now. I try to payout what i think we will bring in. sponsor just dont seem to happen. I just come back from driving 30 miles to get a gift cert. from kammer & kammer (a local speed shop) for a 50.00 off shop labor and it expires in one month. and i went thru hell to get this. well not hell but alot of gas with 3 trips to finaly get it. but you get the point.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
This is going to sound confusing, but here it is.

There are 63 churches in my county. There are only 40,000 people. I ask myself every day why are there so many. The only thing I can come up with is;
1. People are not hereing what they want to here.
2. Someone is trying to get rich.

What is your motivation to head up a race that may or may not already exist in your geographical area and during one of the worst economic periods of our nations history.

Food For thought.
Good Luck

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Its very hard to convince someone to hand you money for a race org they've never heard of.

I purposely have not solicited money from sponsors the last two years... I will be doing sponsor contacts this fall and winter as we now have something impressive that we can offer a sponsor.

Think seriously about what benefit a sponsor will get by putting money into your program. How many spectators will be seeing the cars with their name, what sort of advertising will be promoting their products. will it be the same spectators that will be seeing this over and over or will you be in different locations exposing them to different crowds. Companies put money into advertising and sponsorships with the intent that it will turn into more product being sold.

Answer three things.

How Much will it cost them.
What do they get in return.
How will effect their business.

Then dont promise something you cant return!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts