Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
You said Member, huh, huh
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there have been many issues with the 6.0L but what about the first year 6.4L? I'm looking at a 2008 4x4 Lariat Dually with 130,000 miles for 21 grand. Looks clean. Yes I know FordSux: and it will be towing a Chevy!

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
friend bought on with close to same miles, truck was clean as new and appeared to be very well
taken care of. The 6.4 blew all to hell on interstate with no warning and had to replace entire engine

·
Registered
89 Posts
Don't do it. I would take a 6.0 any day over those. 6.4's are nowhere near as easy to work on, but seem to have just as many, if not more issues. That's at least what I see working on these on a daily basis.

Will

·
Trump Voter NRA Member
6,999 Posts
Don't do it. I would take a 6.0 any day over those. 6.4's are nowhere near as easy to work on, but seem to have just as many, if not more issues. That's at least what I see working on these on a daily basis.

Will
^^^ I agree ^^^ A 6.0 is cheap to fix compared to a 6.4, and I work on these trucks every day.

·
This amp goes to 11.
12,064 Posts

Will
Two words.... Run Away! IMO the 6.4 is so terrible that it has increased the 6.0 value.
^^^ I agree ^^^ A 6.0 is cheap to fix compared to a 6.4, and I work on these trucks every day.
Jeezus...it sounds as if you guys are saying, "See this smelly turd over here? Yeh, I know, pretty raunchy, right. Now, look at THIS one! Yep...that first turd is lookin' pretty good now!"

·
Registered
412 Posts
Out of 5 at work, two have blown motors(pieces of block were scattered under truck)
Two recently have had turbos replaced, injectors etc.

But they do have some power.
The only way I would own one is if it was given to me.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
The 6.4 is probably one of the biggest pieces of shit ever constructed. Hertz equipment rental has a bunch of them in their service fleet. My brother, who works for them, says that their only saving grace is that the service trucks have really nice remote controlled deck cranes. Makes it way easier to remove your own cab, which is something that happens often.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Jeezus...it sounds as if you guys are saying, "See this smelly turd over here? Yeh, I know, pretty raunchy, right. Now, look at THIS one! Yep...that first turd is lookin' pretty good now!"

Pretty much!!

At least that first turd is easier/cheaper to try and polish ;)

Will

·
Void
84,254 Posts
Ask how many of the posters above own a 6.4. I would guess none. I bought a 2008 F-350 SW 4x4 in Oct. 2007 and haven't had any problems to date. I work construction for a living and tow all the time. 134k miles and still going strong.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
They have less common problems than the 6.0 bit one of their common problems is the short block. You're lookin at $15,000 bill minimum if that happens. A properly maintained one has a chance, just not a great chance. I'd say no.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
When I was at the Dealer on the TSB's they had a countdown on how many shortblocks they had left before they were all gone.

I have a 6.0, no way in hell I would trade it for a 6.4

Man it was hard to explain to a guy that hes dumping 15 ish into a truck when his cab was up in the air and he had 40 on the loan yet.

·
Trump Voter NRA Member
6,999 Posts
Ask how many of the posters above own a 6.4. I would guess none. I bought a 2008 F-350 SW 4x4 in Oct. 2007 and haven't had any problems to date. I work construction for a living and tow all the time. 134k miles and still going strong.

Count your Blessings, wait till it's your turn. I work on these trucks for a living. The 6.4 engine and fuel system is very expensive to fix. A 6.4 engine is 13k at the dealer vs $9300 for a 6.0. I DO NOT use aftermarket parts on these engines either, if you do you will be married to it.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I have one with @56,000 miles on it and haven't really had a chance to tow much with it. Had a few problems but no blown engine. Has good power and when I have towed I haven't had any problems yet. I thought the 6.4 was better than the 6.0 but it sounds like it isn't from what I'm hearing here.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have a 2010 f-350 dually with a 6.4. 86,000 miles and not a single problem. Love the truck and it pulls everything I need it to. I am a Snap-On dealer and my customers are telling me the 6.4 has been MUCH better than the 6.0.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Just rolled over 152k on my 08, Just over 15k on new motor. The emissions are what cause these things to blow up. Dpf delete and egr delete are a must on 6.4s.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts