Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
T/S 368E
35,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Ok, I'm no battery expert. 1st time out in 3 years yesterday. After charging, battery doesn't crank engine.
Let sit 15 minutes & car cranks & runs fine. Worked fine for 2 weeks while putting car back together or
I would have done something, before driving 3 hours for nothing!!. It was at 7 volts when I recharged it.
I also had to add a little distilled H2O in every cell before charging. Several guys at track say if you charge
& it has those symptoms, you have dead cell?? Battery is original style wet cell turbo start,
bought 2 weeks before they shut down ~3 years ago. Charger is a 16V industrial charger, will not charge AGM.

1st ??, is my battery junk??
2nd ?? what's a good single 16v battery, that will use a normal deep cycle/starter type battery charger.
I am not buying a new charger, no way, I love mine.

Need info & opinions asap, need to fix or order battery soon to make it here for the W/E. Thanks.

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
Try cycling it a couple of times (discharge and then charge, repeat), and see what happens. I would also check the connections.

·
T/S 368E
35,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks Ray, I'll run the cooling to drain it down a few times. The connections are clean, tight & greased.
I cleaned & checked everything when I topped off the distilled water.

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
How much did you have to top it off? If it was a lot, like you could see an inch of plates, the battery will never make it back 100%. But if it was less than that, cycle it to about 8 volts, and trickle it back, like 3 times. It will take 24-48 hours each charge, but should bring the battery back past 90%.

·
T/S 368E
35,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Hard to tell how low it was. The wing is huge & I had to crawl in there alone & could only see when it got close to full.
It took a little less than 1/2 a gallon for all 8 cells if that means anything?? It was 7.2 or 7.7 when I checked
after sitting for a long time. Will do the cycle thing, except my only 16V charger is non-adjustable.
No switch for 2 amp-10 amp-25 amp. So I'm sure it's a full 25 amp only.
Left message for charger company to check if they have an AGM upgrade.
I have a bunch of guys telling me AGM is the way to go now?? Thanks Ray.

·
Banned
71,969 Posts
If interested, I have a 14 month old 16V AGM Turbo Start battery for sale. Its been stored inside (basement) and I have kept a charge on it.
I have also modified my TS charger to charge the AGM battery and it is for sale as well.

Sold the race car last November.

pm if interested.

Jim

·
Registered
26,607 Posts

Hard to tell how low it was. The wing is huge & I had to crawl in there alone & could only see when it got close to full.
It took a little less than 1/2 a gallon for all 8 cells if that means anything?? It was 7.2 or 7.7 when I checked
after sitting for a long time. Will do the cycle thing, except my only 16V charger is non-adjustable.
No switch for 2 amp-10 amp-25 amp. So I'm sure it's a full 25 amp only.
Left message for charger company to check if they have an AGM upgrade.
I have a bunch of guys telling me AGM is the way to go now?? Thanks Ray.

AGM is really good in abusive applications. Also important in case things go badly. If you end up with a battery explosion, or bad wreck, it is a lot easier to clean white powder off you (AGM) than to neutralize battery acid (wet cell).

We had an AGM blow on our bike, and i have to say people sure would be looking at Heather differently if it had been a wetcell. The powder was all over the front of her, up her neck and right into the helmet. Rescue crew was a little slow (no one knew why she pulled over), so it would have been severe plastic surgery if it was regular acid.

·
T/S 368E
35,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Ok, got a hold of charger company. They are sending what I need to modify my charger to AGM.
Will do the cycle thing with my 2 turbo start wet cell's & try to make it out this w/e.
Will upgrade to AGM after I read up & decide if I need the 13lb, 30lb or 42lb unit.

Thanks Horn, I'm buying a new battery, once I decide what direction to go. Just wanted a quick fix to get out this w/e.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts