Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you guys feel about the benefits and drawbacks of pulse tig welding versus straight drag welding. talking heavy gauge .125 and thicker mild steel tubing and plate here no thin wall 4130 involved.

changed my career from drag cars to touring cars and they prefer the pretty pulse welds, makes no difference to me i just do what the boss likes...just like some other opinions on the ups and downs of each process.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
seen some pretty little pulse welds that looked scary to me

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
I pulse everything I weld...steel, aluminum, stainless, everything. Heat is the enemy of any material....pulsing gets rid of some of the heat, which in my opinion is the best option. I manually pulse with my foot because I could never get the timing down to let the machine do it.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I only pulse very then stainless. Thicker stuff just get your heat right and dab and go and u will get fhe same effect just with more penetration.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
You need some heat in the weld to keep a 4130 weld joint from being to brittle.its a balancing act. I would rather have a slightly hotter weld than one that's to cool. look at some older 4130 airframes they were (and some still ) gas torch welded lots of heat !!!

·
Registered
219 Posts
What's the difference with stitch welding with a mig? Or pulse with a rig? everyone says stitching with mig makes a weak joint correct? Why doesn't pulsing a tig?

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
What's the difference with stitch welding with a mig? Or pulse with a rig? everyone says stitching with mig makes a weak joint correct? Why doesn't pulsing a tig?
are you talking about "stitch" welding as a series of tacks ? like tack tack tack ? If so thats not stitch welding. Stitch welding is a series fo short welds like 1 or 2" welds
Plusing with a tig and also with a mig machine with the feature in the machine actually nevers shuts the current off, it just goes from a high peak to a low

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I have seen some people pulse like crazy and other not as much. I just watched a demo of a automated tig pipe weld machine we are considering buying for my work weld a 2" .218 wall pipe wiht a J bevel in 8 minutes and it pulsed the root pass and passed x ray. The best welder I have ever watched didn't hardly pulse at all and he can make some incredible welds. Pulsing a weld will slow you down which is not a good thing in commercial industrial welding but can give you the highest penetration without burn through and the least amount of heat input. Total joules input can affect charpy impact test but you probably will never have to deal with that anyways. It would take me a long time to explain so just go to the website tiptigusa.com This is not a standard tig machine but pulses and is the fastest TIG machine I have used/worked with on the market.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts