Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
T/S 368E
26,307 Posts

I have a shop, so I just pulled in and went home.
Most of my friends just leave it in driveway, and put the car in garage.
Nobody I know leaves their car outside, ever.
I'm sure some rent space, and have to drop off trailer after unloading.

·
Registered
14,652 Posts
i back mine into my little 2 car garage with the car on it. I have about 6 inches behind and about 1 foot in the front with door closed. My trailer is almost 24 feet overall. In the winter/off season i store my trailer in my friends airplane hanger(sold his plane so it is pretty much empty) he has at his house just to give me more room to work on the car.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
If I'm going to be back at the track the next weekend I usually just leave it on the trailer and back the whole thing in the garage. If its gonna be a while till next race I unload and put the trailer next to my shop.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I hated an open trailer. I left car on it and backed it under the lean to built onto my shop. Had to load tools every week and all that junk. Sold it to dad and bought a enclosed. So much better for racing. But having said that, I miss that open trailer and need to borrow it all the time for junk. Wish I never would have sold it. Also way better on the fuel bill going to the track

·
Registered
15,060 Posts
My car goes into the garage and the trailer is parked next to the house.
I can't leave it in my driveway, according to my municipal, so it has to be parked along the side of the house.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hated an open trailer. I left car on it and backed it under the lean to built onto my shop. Had to load tools every week and all that junk. Sold it to dad and bought a enclosed. So much better for racing. But having said that, I miss that open trailer and need to borrow it all the time for junk. Wish I never would have sold it. Also way better on the fuel bill going to the track
I went from toterhome and stacker to suburban and open trailer. honestly I prefer my open trailer. I've went to racing mostly locally now anyways.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Same as a few above....back the whole thing into the garage.
I have dropped the car in the garage and left the trailer in the driveway a few times without any issues from the HOA.

Upside down :( but you get the idea

·
Registered
5,761 Posts
I bought an 18 or 20 foot open dove tail with full diamond plate deck, that was freshly painted and with 4 brand new tires. I got it for 1300$ and felt like I got a screaming deal. The first year I paid 75 bux at a local outdoor non covered storage. Within a year the trailer looked twice as old as the day I bought it. The Texas sun bearing down on it was doing a number, so I opted for an extra 50$ to get it in doors.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I love my open trailer its not ideal for racing having to load and unload all the time but racing isnt all i use it for. My trailer has paid for its self a hundred times. I wouldnt want to not have an open trailer even if i bought an enclosed again.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I love my open trailer its not ideal for racing having to load and unload all the time but racing isnt all i use it for. My trailer has paid for its self a hundred times. I wouldnt want to not have an open trailer even if i bought an enclosed again.
You should convert it to a tilt deck [gravity tilt] and use clevis pins for the pivots.
I've done this on a few trailers I built, and add casters to the tongue.

That way you can leave the car loaded on it, drop the tongue and roll it underneath the trailer inside a normal 20'x20' garage.

check out this thread [post number 97] where I did a build of one
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268273&page=5

·
Registered
14,759 Posts
Got an enclosed and yes much better. But I kept the open for non racing uses. For all I would get, rather keep it. I have lots of room to park it but it does need some paint slapped on it.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
You should convert it to a tilt deck [gravity tilt] and use clevis pins for the pivots.

That way you can leave the car loaded on it, drop the tongue and roll it underneath the trailer inside a normal 20'x20' garage.

no pics unless you sign up :-damnit:-damnit

·
T/S 368E
26,307 Posts
I prefer an open trailer. Really got tired of driving a 3/4 ton truck daily just so I could pull an enclosed trailer 6 or 8 times a year.

Some of us have no choice.
Carbon fiber car, must have tow vehicle, equipment and supplies out the ass.
Yes it was simpler in the beginning, and I say all the time I should have stayed slower, but we all make choices.

·
draggin' ass
13,385 Posts

Bring the pictures over to this forum so we can see it. I am interested in converting mine if its reasonable.

·
T/S 368E
26,307 Posts

That's a cool set up.
Tiny car, use a tiny trailer!!!

Pulling the tongue off is sweet for his garage, don't have to unload at midnight after a long day of racing and towing home!!!!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts

That's a cool set up.
Tiny car, use a tiny trailer!!!

Pulling the tongue off is sweet for his garage, don't have to unload at midnight after a long day of racing and towing home!!!!

It is a 16' deck which is a common size in the USA. [and big enough for most cars]
You only need a deck big enough for the vehicle, you can compensate for a smaller deck by having a longer tongue [this increases stability]

The trailer only cares about 5 points [ the 4 tyre contact patches and the coupler ]

I could've made the deck longer and it would have intruded into the tongue more but I wanted the actual deck to self balance so one person could tilt it [and stay tilted] and drive on.

The deck is self latching like a door shutting [see the spring-bolts on the side of the tongue]

1 - 20 of 29 Posts