Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I have done the searches here, just looking for more suggestions. Due to the size and weight of my light tow vehicle, an enclosed is out of the question. What are the "must haves" with a budget of 3K. Not a lot of budget, I know, but here are the front runners so far. If you guys have dealt with these companies or have suggestions for other companies, please chime in.

I am trying to seach in NC and SC because I live in SC and it seems that the prices in other states are not low enough to cover the fuel charge to go and get them. Both of these places are within 125 miles, but I am willing to travel if I am missing a better trailer (for the money) else where.

I have looked at "Big Tex" and Imperial trailers, but they are too much for the budget.

Kaufman trailer in NC has a 21 foot (19 foot plus 2 foot dove) all steel deck trailer with brakes at all four tires 5200 axels and 10,000 GVWR for 2700.

Sweet River Trailers in SC has a 20 foot (18 foot plus 2 foot dove) all steel deck trailer with brakes at all four tires 3500 axels and 7,000 GVWR for 2800.

Sweet River's 10,400 GVWR is 3500 and a bit much for the budget.

I will be using A 5.3 Yucon 1/2 to pull with, and will only be towing flat and within two hours of the house. Car weighs 4,000 pounds.

Flame away.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had a Down2earth !8' purchased from SweetRiver and it was excellent. Construction,paint and it towed perfect.Would definitely consider them again.

·
Registered
14,498 Posts
I see Kaufman has the Torsion axles as a $295 option, well worth it in my opinion almost all the maintenance on trailers is related to springs hanger etc not to mention ride hieght and towing improvement which with a 4000lb car and tools with a half ton truck will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Dont know if these are available in your area, but i love mine. Best thing about it is its powder coated top and bottom, never have to worry about paint. It pulls like a dream too. I got the 22' with slide out ramps and front storage box built into the floor.

http://performancetrailer.com/dealerlocate.htm

·
Registered
68,984 Posts
You say an Imperial is out of the budget but that is one damn fine trailer. Each one my Dad and I have had has been nothing short of amazing. We've overloaded them on a number of occasions and they went down the road without complaining. Couple of my racing buddies have tag-alongs as well and they love them. Saving up the money now to get a new 28' gooseneck.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dont know if these are available in your area, but i love mine. Best thing about it is its powder coated top and bottom, never have to worry about paint. It pulls like a dream too. I got the 22' with slide out ramps and front storage box built into the floor.

http://performancetrailer.com/dealerlocate.htm
Those are good looking trailers, just e-mailed them for a quote, thanks!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bottle, yer kill'n me! I'd have to buy a REAL truck to pull it, then my wife would be kill'n me!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jim, they are bad to the bone and worth every dollar, I'm sure. When she told me the open that I was looking at started at 5K, I was bummed. I really like the split rear section on those where you can get to the rear end without lying on your back.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I've had a big tex and a load and trail and was very happy with both of them,the load and trail was a very nicley built trailer and towed like a dream even loaded at 75

·
The Warbird
6,478 Posts
I had my 24' custom steele floored hauler built by P&T Trailers here in Huntsville Al. It has 22' floor and 2' reduced angle dovetail, tubular 6'10" ramps, electric brakes, winch box with winch, removeable left fender, 8 D rings and I had the front rail extended down both sides to the front of the fenders for securing extra gear too. The total cost including tax was $2750. Its a good trailer for the cash. Link>>http://www.pandttrailers.com/

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
i got a doolittle 18 ft. my car is small so i put a toolbox up front. paid 2,400 paint sucked also i called and complained there warrently fix was a can of spray paint. called bb got 300 off.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I have a humbier maded in lakeland fl two 5000 lb axles brakes on rear axle only 18 ft deck 2ft dove tail pulls great for the last 6 yrs 3000 lb nova 16000 miles of pulling a year accept last 3 yr rebuilding my car no problems and they sell them for 1595.00 brand new.....

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We have a new leader, I think i have to have an Ironworks Challenger, now to get it from TX to Charlotte............thanks for the replys

·
...failure to communicate
4,872 Posts
Sounds like you already figured this part out, but go for a minimum of 20 feet. My mustang fits great on my 16', but no tow I have a SMALL 4 wheeler and it doesn't fit well at all. Another 4 feet would be great.

LONG ramps would be awesome as well and I wish I had at least a small tool box area in front for fuel jugs, nitrous bottles, battery charger, etc.

·
draggin' ass
13,411 Posts
I was sort of in your boat and since I could not get what I really wanted, I went the opposite direction and bought a cheap open from YB member in south Georgia, about 2 hours drive away, brought it home and put tires on it and checked the bearings. I too have a hald ton truck and would be hard pressed to tow anything much larger. I still might upgrade to a all steel deck trailer at somepoint in the future but for now, I am happy because this one gets my shit to the track.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I just got a Bri- Mar and it pulls great I put about 2000 miles on it so far with a 71 monte carlo with a factory BBC and it tows great with that big old boat.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts