Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At work, we use vises like this to hold different oil tools in place horizontally while we work or them or torque up threaded connections.

I've spoken to the handful of manufacturers that I can find and I'm getting quotes of $4000-6000 for a vise like this one:

The vise pictured can hold a 15" diameter pipe

Does anyone on YB have any idea of what it would take to build one ourselves? I'm not a welder but we have plenty at work. Can I spec out the components, buy them and have a vise welded up for a reasonable price?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Those vices are made by Baker usually. They withstand several thousand pounds of torque and resist spinning as I am sure you know. That is the reason of the cost. There are several mom and pop's that might have an old one that could be refurbished and put a new set of dies in. Other than that Rigid makes several "pipe" type vices that could work. One could build it out of 3" 4140 plate. Drill and cut the acme threads, broach the dovetail accepting slots. 1 1/2" 4140 round bar threaded with 5 pitch acme. The ball stud machined with the stud cap will have to accept standard carbide dies. You might be able to make a reasonable copy for less but not much less.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Eagle vice has one that could be manufactured for fairly cheap. Not many people will have the machines big enough to cut the thread types. 3-5 pitch acme takes a large and quick machine. Easy thread to cut but when you have to make 1" of travel for every 3 rotations it gets selective.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those vices are made by Baker usually. They withstand several thousand pounds of torque and resist spinning as I am sure you know.
We have Baker model G vises now, FORUM bought the design and now makes and sells them. They quoted me $6k. We aren't torquing anything to more than 2000ft/lbs (mostly 2 3/8" and 2 7/8" 8rd connections) but you never know what it will take to break down some rusted shit that came out of a well.

There are several mom and pop's that might have an old one that could be refurbished and put a new set of dies in.
I am the mom and pop now!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Other than that Rigid makes several "pipe" type vices that could work. One could build it out of 3" 4140 plate. Drill and cut the acme threads, broach the dovetail accepting slots. 1 1/2" 4140 round bar threaded with 5 pitch acme. The ball stud machined with the stud cap will have to accept standard carbide dies. You might be able to make a reasonable copy for less but not much less.

Eagle vice has one that could be manufactured for fairly cheap. Not many people will have the machines big enough to cut the thread types. 3-5 pitch acme takes a large and quick machine. Easy thread to cut but when you have to make 1" of travel for every 3 rotations it gets selective.
This is interesting, thanks for the info. We shouldn't have a problem getting the threads cut, there are a few good oilfield machine shops in San Antonio and Corpus that can do that for me.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Congrat's on being the mom and pop! That is great news! Ever since the crash, I have seen millions in inventory being cut up. You would cry to see the mills, lathes, handling tools, packers, etc just cut up and thrown away. I would see if Eagle or Evolution would entertain selling a half finished or parts for one. It's not like you are going to sue them for liability if you bought an old worn out POS that you can surely refurbish yourself.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's a good idea rollercam, I'll check into it. And thanks! I recently left Big Red after many years running tools for them and like you said, the shit that we cut up filled many a rollaway dumpster. Even before the downturn, we were cutting up $40k permanent packers to clear them out of inventory to make our numbers look better, broke my heart.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

Geddawy Tools and Equipment Company manufacturing this type of Pipe Vise, Geddawy Open Side Pipe Vise is a rugged Screw-Type Vise that will hold tubing, drill pipe, manifold fittings, Valves, in fact everything whether in the field, Shop, or Warehouse.
Geddawy Tools and Equipment all of our products are made from the best materials available.

Size Range

No. 8: 2-3/8 inch to 8 5/8 inch Price= $ 1550

No. 15: 2-3/8 inch to 15 5/8 inch Price= $ 2250

No. 22: 2-3/8 inch to 22 5/8 inch Price= $ 3750

For more information feel free to call us or simply visit our site:

www.geddawy.com

Regards

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had to laugh seeing this post bumped just now. I'm up to three of these vises now, I collect these things like I do car parts lol.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts