Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on the fence with my build as to run blow thru or EFI. It can go EFI for maybe $700 more than blow thru when you take into consideration the parts I already have. Car is an 80 Malibu with 454..10.4 compression and will run low boost (10lbs or so) via twin S366's - solid cam (.640ish lift) TH400 and 3.23 rear gears. Car will be something I drive locally and race occasionally. Fuel will be E-85

I know I can get better tuning with EFI. Would the MPG be that much better with EFI?
Any downside to either besides the EFI price?

First timer..be gentle ;)
Thoughts

·
Banned
16,548 Posts
If you can do it for 700 go with efi.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
That's a no brainer, go efi.
Once you get it dialed in you will really appreciate the amount of data you can monitor with efi. It makes it worth every penny!
Some of the biggest challenges of tuning a blow through setup is the lack of data being monitored.
Good luck with it!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My initial thought was EFI then I see a lot of people doing well with blow thru setups. Considered it but never purchased anything for it..fortunately.

·
Banned
16,548 Posts
My initial thought was EFI then I see a lot of people doing well with blow thru setups. Considered it but never purchased anything for it..fortunately.
You see alot more doing even better with efi.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, my earlier post saying I can do EFI for about $700 more was using a Megasquirt 2 system. Any issues there?

·
Registered
20,079 Posts
What system did you consider for the FI-TB style, port inj, etc-carb is simple, esp if built for blowthru-you will need big injectors for E85, same with pump
And your tuning abilities for FI vs blowthru
I have had several of both, never had a problem with blowthru, FI was a major learning curve, but does have some advantages
There may be a larger diff in price once you add it all up

·
Gigity
3,140 Posts
What system did you consider for the FI-TB style, port inj, etc-carb is simple, esp if built for blowthru-you will need big injectors for E85, same with pump
I have had several of both, never had a problem with blowthru, FI was a major learning curve, but does have some advantages
This is my experience as well....ZERO trouble with CSU blowthrough.
Whrn i converted, the efi was unable to match the performance of the blow through as well, with the same tune up specs.
The efi is SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive, no doubt about it.
The efi does have advantages once you get past the learning curve, and the visa bill. Built in datalogging is the best.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
If i could afford EFI id do it tomorrow. Havent got to really get any numbers or good passes out of my car but my blow thru has treated me ok on the street. The tuneability of some of the aftermarket EFI stuff is pretty slick as well. My broke ass will have blow thru for awhile.....lol.

·
Registered
639 Posts
efi!!! and i have a great csu carb..

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
EFI, no brainer. If you don't now you will switch down the road.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
There's not really any power advantage either way. Efi is easier to tune once you get your head wrapped around it, gives you data logging as a built in feature on most ECMs (even a stock one with a tuner cable), and you won't be soaked in fuel the whole time you're tuning it. The data is the biggest plus. I've had both, I'll never go back to a carb.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the input. For those of you with turbo, EFI, and using an aftermarket system...what system are you using?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
When I did my price comparison, I was going to use a 4150 style TB, Holley 160cc injectors, Edelbrock Vic jr intake and fuel rails and Megasquirt 2 controller

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
You may want to look at the pro-flo stuff before you commit to an intake. I always prefer a ram style intake on forced induction, but that's just me. It would save you from having to buy a more expensive throttle body and a hat, plus give better air distribution.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They only make those for rectangle port BBC. I have oval port heads and my current intake and heads are port matched

1 - 18 of 18 Posts