Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is anyones thoughts on plugging the bypass valve on BB & SB Chevy motors and if so what filters are there that are high flowing ?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
wix or napa 51060r racing filter

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
What is anyones thoughts on plugging the bypass valve on BB & SB Chevy motors and if so what filters are there that are high flowing ?

I plug them, or use a billet oil filter adapter plate w/o the by-pass.. I have plugged the old factory adapters for years w/ a 1/4 NPT plug. I want ALL the oil to go through the filter, not just some of it. ;) I have used the Fram HP filters for yrs. w/o any issues, some people don't like them.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I run Wix now with no issues. I use to run Fram but they gave me big problems collapsing internally and restricking oil flow.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
McCoy i have never had the racing version collapse, have you?

I've seen several of the racing versions fail internally.

Also, there's no good reason why the stock replacement part should fail internally to begin with. Production cars have start-up oil pressures well above 80 psig. and they are started & driven at temperatures below 30°F too many times to count.

·
Registered
805 Posts
It has been several years ago, but when I contacted Fram to see what their HP4 filters were rated for on oil pressure they told me 60 psi. I have seen them fail time after time and will not buy another filter from them. I stick with the Carquest racing filters or the Hasting racing filters now with out any problem's. I prefer the Carquest racing filter due to the internal magnet that is in the bottom of the filter before the oil is forced through the filter media.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
McCoy i have never had the racing version collapse, have you?

All I can say is I had issues with Frams that caused me alot of frustation and added work trying to figure out what was causing my oil pressure issues. Everything would be fine for a few passes then it acted like the pump pick up was cracked. Pull the motor, find nothing wrong and replace the filter and oil only to have it happen again. I finally cut a filter open and there it was collapsed intenally and all in a wad of cardboard. For many years I supported Fram and used them on all my engines while most of my friends told me they were not good and had caused them issues. I don't use them anymore on anything. Open a Fram then open a Wix and the construction differences are easy to see.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts