Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Funny you mention that. I was talking with my wife about that. They use our facilities and technology and then compete against us.
I would think they would want to represent the country that allows them to do this, but I guess if you can't make the US team....second best will do.

·
Registered
21,313 Posts
Who would that be???
Several members of the men's soccer team live and play professionally in Europe. One of the stars of the men's volleyball team (last name Stanley maybe?) plays professionally in Russia, according to the commentator yesterday. I'm sure there are others.

The coach of the U.S. women's volleyball team is from China. She played for the medal winning Chinese team in the 80's.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
The foreign athletes are usually college students here or from a country that has shitty athletic programs. It's a complement to us. It was nice to see a couple world class athletes come over and run for us this year.

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
Some of the countries offer financial support to athletes that they couldn't get in the US.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Money!!!

Today the Americans played Spain in basketball. A few of the spanish players play for the Lakers and other teams. We pay to see the teams play, which in turn provide money to the players. I don't care if they play for their national team. We're better in most cases anyhow.
Zim

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
I"m not really talking about Basketball, I'm talking about other sports that aren't real profitable for the players.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Some of the countries offer financial support to athletes that they couldn't get in the US.
X2

also, some atheletes have gotten tired of how political som of the systems have gotten n the US, sometimes it's not how good you are, but how well you're known, we like our stars.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I"m not really talking about Basketball, I'm talking about other sports that aren't real profitable for the players.
Have you seen the contracts that are being offered by some of the European countries?

You will start seeing ALOT of American Basketball players going overseas.

·
Registered
8,468 Posts
One thing that I haven't seen mentioned- Some of these athletes can't make the American team because they aren't good enough so they represent their 'home' country where they can because there aren't as many good athletes in that particular sport.

Ken

·
Outrunning the Big Blocks
3,270 Posts
Another WNBA player from here is playing for
Russia.She is very good and the US basically
snubbed her.Her grandparents were of Russian
decent and she got a chance to go for Russia.

·
Registered
246 Posts
One thing that I haven't seen mentioned- Some of these athletes can't make the American team because they aren't good enough so they represent their 'home' country where they can because there aren't as many good athletes in that particular sport.

Ken
The most important reason that they cannot make the team......THE AREN'T AMERICANS :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts