Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have three Oliver rods that that will not go all the way over journal of crank. The rod itself and cap both will not seat over journal about 1/8 from bottomed. These three rods measure exacty the same as other 5 rods in the big end. We used a dial bore gauge every part of the rod. The rod surface is square too. We decided to pull the rod all the way down with cap and torque. You can see where edge of bearing halfs slightly touch the crank. The rods then free up with slight drag when bolts just snug. Torque the bolts and th rods feel free and fine. Now i know rods loosen at the part line when torqued but these rods should go over the journal freely. The bearing tang is not being pushed out and bearing looks seated flat. It's obvious the part line is not wide enough but when torqued all rods have the same bore size what gives? How do i fix?

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Are the crank journals all the same size? Rod bearings mismatched? (.010 or more undersize mixed with standard?)

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Just a few things to check. Did you measure the rod housing bore, torqued with and without bearing shells? Did you check the tang part of the rod where the bearing tang sits to see if there is any casting flash there? I have seen it hundreds of times and they often need to be cleaned out or the bearing will not sit flush. Did you check the same rod and bearing shell on another journal and are all the journals round? Are the shells installed properly? Did you swap shells with the ones that do clear? I mean no offense by these questions, just trying to cover all bases since the engine not in front of me. Sounds like it can be something real stupid..Let us know.

·
Super Moderator
35,256 Posts
So you're saying with the big end cap off the rod, the big end bore distorts? If this is the case, pitch the rods, if they are new return them. Assuming you have swapped bearings from the normal rods to see if the bearing is the issue, and not the rod.

If you have isolated it to the rod then they are paper weights.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So you're saying with the big end cap off the rod, the big end bore distorts? If this is the case, pitch the rods, if they are new return them. Assuming you have swapped bearings from the normal rods to see if the bearing is the issue, and not the rod.

If you have isolated it to the rod then they are paper weights.
Yes, the big end distorts when cap is off. The cap is distorted too same problem. I noticed the part line(without bearing) is more visable then the other rods. These rods have not been resized but are used. Rods don't appear to have been hot. So it's not worth cutting rod and cap just to see if problem goes away? I did try other shells in the rods and measured rods without shells too.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input

1 - 10 of 10 Posts