Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
The X-Bomb
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've done some research about older dogs shitting in the house. In most cases its age. My dog is old (13) but what's odd is that she will by-pass the door going outside (that's open) and go downstairs to the basement to piss or shit.
She is not having a hard time getting around for her age. She still goes up and down stairs fine. I'm trying to find out why she started doing this. Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I've done some research about older dogs shitting in the house. In most cases its age. My dog is old (13) but what's odd is that she will by-pass the door going outside (that's open) and go downstairs to the basement to piss or shit.
She is not having a hard time getting around for her age. She still goes up and down stairs fine. I'm trying to find out why she started doing this. Any ideas? Thanks
My parents dog did this and had an illness, best bet bring in to the very. Eventually my parents dog quit eating to and had to be put down.

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
Cats will do that when they get things like UTI's. Probably should go to the vet and see. They might just give you some antibiotics or something. Probably will want to do blood work too.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Sounds like what we went thru with our Dog, I am convinced she had dementia ( No Disrespect to anyone dealing with this ) but she never had any accidents in the house and all of a sudden we awoke to it every morning. Started getting up in the middle of the night to let her out, did not help. Major clue came when we would let her out, and she would walk behind a see thru wire fence and could not figure out how to get back out. Was very tough to deal with and finally had to put her down. She was 14 years old when it started.

·
7.86 @ 8800DA 3365lb 275s
4,502 Posts
My parents dog did this and had an illness, best bet bring in to the very. Eventually my parents dog quit eating to and had to be put down.
had the same thing with my last dog. never did find out the issue but about 6 months or so after he started going in the house we had to put him down. he was 14

·
Busy being a cunt
30,227 Posts
had the same thing with my last dog. never did find out the issue but about 6 months or so after he started going in the house we had to put him down. he was 14
Similar thing here with my Heeler a few years ago :( Organs started failing and she didn't last long after that :smt089

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Obviously an age thing--- my 13 yr old GSD has some health issues too but what's weird is that for such a strong-willed dog he's grown terribly insecure. He's partially blind now (cataracts) & pretty feeble. My GUESS is your dog may be going through the same thing--eye problems causing insecurity resultiing in her reluctence to go outside.
Whatever the cause it's best to bring her to the vet. I'm taking mine this week--it may be time for the 'ol blue needle......:smt089:smt089:cry:

·
Registered
572 Posts
My dog started doing this at the first of the year ,then a couple of months later she started being unsteady on her feet. I thought she had arthritis because of her age. I tried all kinds of arthritis meds,come to find out later she was in kidney failure.I did not have a clue and was in denial I guess and did not want to put her down so quick. Then she went off by herself and died,it broke my heart that I failed her but the vet told me she would have arthritis when she got older.That is why I didn't carry her to the vet. But I learned a lesson from it . It still hurts but I had just got laid off and money was tight. One big sign by my understanding is when they become unsteady on their feet is RENAL failure. :(

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
I have a 12 year old Shepherd. She goes outside to pee and comes in to crap. Not all the time but she is forgetful.

She is also hard of hearing. We are giving her the best life possible so, really no big deal at this point.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Have blood sugar checked also. Could be diabetes. My Lab did that when she got older. But she was a stubborn bitch anyway..

·
aka Nova Joe
2,890 Posts
My dog started doing this at the first of the year ,then a couple of months later she started being unsteady on her feet. I thought she had arthritis because of her age. I tried all kinds of arthritis meds,come to find out later she was in kidney failure.I did not have a clue and was in denial I guess and did not want to put her down so quick. Then she went off by herself and died,it broke my heart that I failed her but the vet told me she would have arthritis when she got older.That is why I didn't carry her to the vet. But I learned a lesson from it . It still hurts but I had just got laid off and money was tight. One big sign by my understanding is when they become unsteady on their feet is RENAL failure. :(
Sounds like my wheaten terrier....she's 15, was the best house trained dog we ever had but now she shits and pisses in the house, and is very unsteady on her feet. Falls over like she's drunk...can't see, walks into objects. Sad... Think its time :(

1 - 20 of 33 Posts